1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

not really understanding this one.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by jkh04200
Not gonna get into a big debate here but, once the sludge breaks loose and goes through the clutches your on borrowed time.
Hey man I'm not going to either, but wouldn't you agree that if you got sludge, chances are you're on borrowed time to? I mean sludge is a pretty good indicator that the trans hasn't been taken care of. Can we agree to that? I don't really care what people do one way or another... hey it's there truck! No hard feelings?

-Robb

Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 AM
jkh04200
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for any confussion. I agree, I think the thing is on its way out. I am on a couple of boating sites at times. And my gosh, you try to give someone a little advice or kindly disagree with someone and all hell breaks loose.

Its all good

Old 05-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Hahaha hey it's all good . Just trying to keep things more civilized than the OTHER site....I won't mention any names though *dieselstop.... cough cough* lol.

-Robb

Old 05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jkh04200
Rob,

I am a befiever in this. I have done it and had bad luck. If the fluid has not been changed in 100k miles the inside of the transmission will have sludge build up.
Yep, bad luck....Is that the only time you had that happen?

I have successfully serviced many trannies with too many miles on the oil/filter...with an occasional failure. You wouldn't believe the color of the fluid and the smell! Those trannies get a second oil/filter change after one heat cycle (20-30 miles). Reason: Any sludge that broke loose will get caught by the filter. Then the filter gets plugged. There is no filter bypass in a trans like in an engine. When the filter get plugged......there is no oil flow...poof! junk tranny

Old 05-08-2008, 05:12 PM
jkh04200
Junior User
No Sir, I have had it happen to me personally 3 times. And I have had it happen to several friends. I have discussed this with several mechanics and some real good transmission people. The concensous is always the same, if it hasn't been changed in a long time dont do it.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
Yep, bad luck....Is that the only time you had that happen?

I have successfully serviced many trannies with too many miles on the oil/filter...with an occasional failure. You wouldn't believe the color of the fluid and the smell! Those trannies get a second oil/filter change after one heat cycle (20-30 miles). Reason: Any sludge that broke loose will get caught by the filter. Then the filter gets plugged. There is no filter bypass in a trans like in an engine. When the filter get plugged......there is no oil flow...poof! junk tranny
Well thought out response .. rep sent

Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 PM
brown 4x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if a lot of these "flush failures" are due to the method of the flush being done. I would NEVER flush a transmission with anything other than the fluid it requires, especially not a solvent. And adding extra pressure seems like it could cause issues too. I used to work at a shop with a high dollar Snap On flush machine. I never ran it, but from what I saw the only thing it used was Dexron III/Mercon. So I think that's what all the Chryslers and newer Fords we serviced got in them too.

I've done many flushes myself with no machine by unhooking the return cooler line and adding the correct fluid until it comes out clear, then changing the filter. (Why flush all the old fluid through a new filter?) Never had a problem dong it. My personal opinion is if the transmission can't handle this, it wasn't going to last long anyway. Like someone previously said, a customer bringing one in thinking "It's not shifting right, a flush should cure it".

Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I have discussed this with several mechanics and some real good transmission people
Other than that....

Did they give you a reason?...

Swapping crappy fluid for new ...

I'd have to say ..coincidence.. Unless they used the wrong fluid ...

Old 05-08-2008, 09:57 PM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
I would do the service, make sure you get the right filter (2X and 4X4 different). Drain everything including the converter. Add a new filter (make sure you get the o-ring in right after removing the old one). Add new fluid in steps to the exact right level and then install a nice, new, huge cooler. Your tranny will love you and that will give it its best chance for survival.

Oh yeah, the reason that some trannies fail immediately after a long-overdue service is that the tranny had a considerable amount of internal wear with nowhere near in-spec tolerances. The old fluid was dirty with very fine metal and clutch band material in it in suspension that made it thicker than new, clean fluid. The dirty, thicker fluid helped the tranny to build the necessary pressures whereas the thinner, new clean fluid washed everything clean. Then the over-sized worn-out parts couldn't build enough pressure to make it work or maybe almost enough pressure that made it sort of work but internally there was slippage that generated a lot of heat and then, suddenly no more tranny. I've seen it happen but more often than not a decent tranny that was acting up a little worked 100% better with a complete drain/service.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:29 AM
MLCinNCTX
Senior User
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Hey Now! go easy!

I just found this...

Humm some stuff to think about there.... and yes I've heard of people who have lost trans after a flush with high mileage...
-Robb
Most of those folks would not have been flushing the fluid if they were not having trouble. There seems to be two schools on changing fluid, those that do and those that never heard of or claim everyone they talked to lost their tranny after changing it.

I personnally don't like the flushing service now offered as they don't change the filter.

If you fluid is in good condition, I would simply drop the pan change the filter and and top off the fluid. Run it through the summer and do the same in the fall. Then service it ever 30k mile.

Welcome to Gods Country. God Bless Texas. In 10 -15 year folks will stop calling you a Yankee.

The thing to remember about heat is you don't have to shoval it.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:06 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by F350_Hauler
I would do the service, make sure you get the right filter (2X and 4X4 different). Drain everything including the converter. Add a new filter (make sure you get the o-ring in right after removing the old one). Add new fluid in steps to the exact right level and then install a nice, new, huge cooler. Your tranny will love you and that will give it its best chance for survival.

Oh yeah, the reason that some trannies fail immediately after a long-overdue service is that the tranny had a considerable amount of internal wear with nowhere near in-spec tolerances. The old fluid was dirty with very fine metal and clutch band material in it in suspension that made it thicker than new, clean fluid. The dirty, thicker fluid helped the tranny to build the necessary pressures whereas the thinner, new clean fluid washed everything clean. Then the over-sized worn-out parts couldn't build enough pressure to make it work or maybe almost enough pressure that made it sort of work but internally there was slippage that generated a lot of heat and then, suddenly no more tranny. I've seen it happen but more often than not a decent tranny that was acting up a little worked 100% better with a complete drain/service.
I am with you in thouse concepts, seem very reasonable.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:07 AM
FLYBOY07
Senior User
Originally Posted by MLCinNCTX
Most of those folks would not have been flushing the fluid if they were not having trouble. There seems to be two schools on changing fluid, those that do and those that never heard of or claim everyone they talked to lost their tranny after changing it.

I personnally don't like the flushing service now offered as they don't change the filter.

If you fluid is in good condition, I would simply drop the pan change the filter and and top off the fluid. Run it through the summer and do the same in the fall. Then service it ever 30k mile.

Welcome to Gods Country. God Bless Texas. In 10 -15 year folks will stop calling you a Yankee.

The thing to remember about heat is you don't have to shoval it.

thanks guys for the help I'm gonna change it next week and see how it goes. like I said I haven't been having any problems with it but want a piece of mind.

LOL. Texas is great I love it here I don't miss the north at all. I mean I don't know what kinda drivers y'all got down here especially in the Dallas/ft worth area (damn near got ran over) but it's nice people are alot more friendly.