North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Kansas is invading N.C.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:01 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My in-laws raise cattle just SW of town. So if they have an extra beef we try to get a 1/2 of a large one every year. They take them to a small town locker. Wraped in paper like you used to get way back when. These beefs have never been to a fed lot or been givin buckets of groth hormones or other drugs.

And we try to get a pig also. Most small town lockers will do this in KS. They have folks who raise live stock and you can order them. Some have been given groth hormones and other drugs but not the mega doses that they get in the feed yards. Others can be order drug and hormone free.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:20 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyJack
My in-laws raise cattle just SW of town. So if they have an extra beef we try to get a 1/2 of a large one every year. They take them to a small town locker. Wraped in paper like you used to get way back when. These beefs have never been to a fed lot or been givin buckets of groth hormones or other drugs.

And we try to get a pig also. Most small town lockers will do this in KS. They have folks who raise live stock and you can order them. Some have been given groth hormones and other drugs but not the mega doses that they get in the feed yards. Others can be order drug and hormone free.
i love how the media has brainwashed everyone into thinking the growth hormones are bad........ it makes me wanna slap a reporter

Old 05-09-2008, 11:27 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have almost given up meat here. It's hard to get good quality meat unless you know some one. We go to a restaurant supplier to get our beef,pork,and chicken.What the grocery stores sell here ain't fit,when it comes to hamburger you get a lot of gristle and some bone it just ain't worth it cause theres no flavor.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Not saying it's bad or unsafe. Just sayin local raised with out all that has a different taste that I like over the store bought stuff. Kind of like fresh fish caught in a local lake over store bought.

Ya them viro's do lots of stuff they think will "save" the planet. And my neice is one of em.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
i cant even buy meat from the store due to the taste. its nothing like home grown. It is prolly true that the stuff from the store is more healthy, since our beef is pretty fatty. but fat is where the taste comes from. All i know is my hamburger doesnt shrink in the pan

Matt

Old 05-09-2008, 11:46 AM
TheHandyman
Senior User
Ya them viro's do lots of stuff they think will "save" the planet. And my neice is one of em.
I think some one needs to "save" us from them! They have too much sway with government types. Witness the "No oil drilling" issues we have. We're one of the richest countries in natural resources yet Canada above us and Mexico below sells us oil while we can hardly drill on our own property.

Yeah I love good beef & whiskey too, and it's about impossible to find good tasting meat in NC short of a specialty meat place.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:17 PM
lwfox002
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used ta could BBQ and smoke most everything. We have some pretty good places in Wichita but I really like to get BBQ when I get up to KC.

Now as far as sippin whiskey goes ya really really really, really really need ta get hold of some Bulliet. That is the best stuff I have ever tasted. JD seems to have lost some of it's flavor or maybe I have just changed over the years. I've tried Elijah Craig 18 year old bourbon, Sazerac 18 year old rye, and Eagle Rare 17 year old bourbon. But none were as good as Bulliet. I have some Elijah Craig 12 year old bourbon now. It's a nice change from the Bulliet but the Bulliet still has it beat by 1/2. Evan Williams is my good old stand by. Costs me less than 1/2 what I'd pay for JD, Bulliet, or Eligah Craig. No way to mix them up. The EW is just a good every day sippin whiskey. I keep the Bulliet and EC for special days.

Now to me a big thick steak is the best meal. I cook steak by sound. Get the grill hot and slap the steak one end and it goes sizzle. When the sizzle slows down a bunch flip it to the other end so it sizzles again. When the sizzle slows down a bunch the second time it's done. Slap it on a plate and a knife fork and salt shaker is all ya need. After the plate is empty, set back with a glass of sippin whiskey (bourbon) and a good ceeeegar.

My dad was an EW man. Black label. I sure like it too. Nice, everyday whiskey. On that special occasion, Crown sure is smooth though.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:54 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lostmybeer
Which tastes better? Crown Royal or Jack Daniels.
Bushmills Irish whisky...

Oops! That wasn't a choice.

Not really a big bourbon man.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:56 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by klause85f150
Kansas City is the worst place on earth. Thank god you live in Charlotte. Lived in kc for many years and will never live there again. Live on the kansas side and get stifled for not making 60k a year and live on the Missouri side and get shot at and live with thugs and drug dealers(with notable exceptions of kck and blue springs). Not my choice either way. And I agree, the best bbq will always be pork!!! chicken and beef, eat your heart out!!!

Cheers!!!
I meant 'Kansas'....Not KC, necessarily.....

I was still thinking of the BBQ cookoff (by region)....Y'alls was called "Kansas City" BBQ.......

Old 05-09-2008, 05:01 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordboy_52
nc has a coastline, which to me equals HURRICANES. dont complain about tornadoes, tornadoes dont take out everything for a hundred miles. usually less than 1/2 mile. for 3-20 miles long. thats nothing
Matt
Hurricanes make life interesting!

Hell, you don't even need a hurricane! Went to Portsmouth Island on the Outer Banks one time and spent 3 days fishing/camping with a truck tent for a shelter (used an ATV to get around). WICKED gale blew up my 2nd night there. Lemme tell ya.....You ain't lived until you've spent a night about 75' from the waterline with 40 to 50-knot winds slamming you and thunder and lightning hitting.....Thank God the tent stayed dry (them things are awesomely strong, BTW)....But still....it was disconcerting when you can see the whole tent leaning over from the wind!!!

Old 05-09-2008, 05:46 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
how many mph is that? its not uncommon for us to have 40-50 mph constant winds in western kansas. I have driven threw a downburst (a storm falling apart) and had 110 mph winds comming over my truck. ripped on mirror off.......

Matt

Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
roughly 45 to 55mph......

Old 05-09-2008, 07:06 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Sounds like our camping spot in Comb Ridge three weeks ago................without the rain or wet.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:20 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
You all need to try the CR Cask 16. Guarantee, y'all will wow yourselves.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 PM
TheHandyman
Senior User
Talking

Originally Posted by cmpd1781
You ain't lived until you've spent a night about 75' from the waterline with 40 to 50-knot winds slamming you and thunder and lightning hitting.....
Yeah wow! I bet! I've done a good bit of camping too and been in some pretty wild situations!

Was that one of those heavy green army-like tents that sticks into the stake pockets on a pickup truck bed?

Quick Reply: Kansas is invading N.C.