1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I'm here and I'm New!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Juls,

Homeade is talking about the light side. To be a true "Darksider" you need to have components from the other guys (ch**y) in your truck. There are a fair number of us on here and we are always looking to recruit some more and then some day the Darkside will rule FTE.....did I say that with my outside voice ???? Sorry got carried away there.

Also by the sounds of things, with all your reference material, you may be able to teach some of the ol' boys on here a thing or two..... darned outside voice.....

Old 05-09-2008, 06:27 PM
55 Merc M-100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome Julie
Great to see there are other tomboys out there. I'm new to FTE as well. In fact I'm still waiting for my truck to arrive in Edmonton, AB from down east in Sydney, NS. The wait is killin me!! But I know it will all be worth the wait when I'm united with my 55 Mercury M-100.I've had people ask what I see in an old truck. Duhh. They are classics, need I say more. They just don't make em like they used to!

Enjoy your truck.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It's funny listening to everyone! But I Likes Ax Mans attitude and his story about his wife. I'm the same way about the girlie stuff.

I mean is it me or has anyone noticed lately that flight attendants have gone from Skirts and Heels to this overweight, clippy, box of rags that doesn't feel the need to look smart, attractive and professional any more (oh see now you've got me going!).

Well, I've been a "Stew" since I was 18 (23 years - started on Ozark) and I still look like the 50s girl on the job. Remember Zoe Avedon in the movie "The High and the Mighty?" That's me! There's a time and a place for everything. And I have no problem going out and crawling under the truck to change the oil in my jeans and ratty sweat shirt (no heels there guys - sorry). Only problem I have is cleaning my hands. My dad taught me to spray them with WD-40 before I start (I hate gloves)to work so they would absord that instead of the oil.

Tee hee...so if you fly Southwest somewtimes and your peanuts taste like WD-40....Shhhhh!
Julie!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:47 AM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

welcome aboard! Its nice to see new members joining up. Dont worry about the cookies, but they do taste good. Well enough about food, we need pics and lots of them! well again welcome and ask lots of questions for we just love to give are .02 !!!!

Old 05-11-2008, 11:03 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1

And I have no problem going out and crawling under the truck to change the oil in my jeans and ratty sweat shirt (no heels there guys - sorry). Only problem I have is cleaning my hands. My dad taught me to spray them with WD-40 before I start (I hate gloves)to work so they would absord that instead of the oil.

Tee hee...so if you fly Southwest somewtimes and your peanuts taste like WD-40....Shhhhh!
Julie!

Hi Julie,
I too hate doing stuff with gloves on but there is just some stuff that only wears off in time. In your job I can see how the clean hands are necessary. Allow me to suggest something here. I have found some really tough disposable gloves at a decent price at Harbor Freight.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></IMG> </TD><TD>NITRILE GLOVES, LARGE (PACK OF 100)
Western Safety
37051-3VGA
$6.99

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
These things are resistant to all kinds of paint thinner and and solvents. I have several diesels and that oil will stain anything including your skin. I also do a lot of spray painting and mixing. Like you, I hate wearing gloves, but sometimes it pays to put on a pair of these just long enough to get through the worst parts. No intent here to plug for HF, the place is just handy and cheap. If you click on the camera image it takes you to their online site. If you don't have a HF handy you can order online.

The best part is, when you take them off you just throw them away. These things are incredibly tough.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... I always keep a big can of peanuts in my shop which all the guys who regularly come around always dip in to. I'm sure were not the most sanitary minded bunch, (hey, we're guys). I probably would be right at home with a little shop flavor in the peanuts.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Julie, there is also a product called Invisible Glove that smells nice and likewise helps prevent dirt/grease from absorbing into your skin. It washes off easily. (Hand lotions work pretty well, too).

Old 05-11-2008, 01:27 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome !

Glad to see the Ford Iron is staying in the family.

Dawg-a-roo

Old 05-11-2008, 01:28 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome aboard Julie, sounds like you are ready to get those rear tires smoking on Dad's old truck. You will always get a lot of useful info. on this site, I usually do not have a lot of knowledge because I am kinda a newbie myself. Best of luck with Dad/Julie's truck.
Mike

Old 05-11-2008, 03:10 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
So like were you one of the original Ozark Mountain Daredevels?

I flew on Ozark when they were flying the DC3.

As far as the Truck, go sit in it for awhile, close your eyes and make engine noises, it will tell you were it wants to go and what it wants to be. Kinda like Zen Trucking

Old 05-11-2008, 08:25 PM
big wind
Junior User
Welcome to this group and you will find a tremendous help with all involved. I have!!!

Old 05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll add my welcome too..

I'm sure you already know, but gloves are a must.. rubber for the liquids and uck you don't want to touch, or when you don't want to touch something
(those nice polished brackets!).. and cloth for general work, leather for welding.

Eye protection.. can't get enough of that.. wear them all the time, just get used to it.. I wear a full face shield too (in addition to the glasses/goggles) when grinding.. amazing what flys up at you..

Ear protection from the loud noises.. my grinder lets out a heck of a wail!..

Hope you have a much fun as we do.. all kinds of tantalizing projects.

Sam

Old 05-12-2008, 04:49 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
welcome and we want pics ! has enough of us impatient men said that ??? now as far as the darkside , well it's yours do what ya want but i love my flatty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:30 AM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Julie!
So thats what that taste was!

Welcome Julie.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Monica82895
Senior User
Hi Julie,enough of the over abundance of testosterone...your truck sounds wonderful,you grew up like I did,my dad was a body mechanic till the day he died.Grease and dirty hands were common at the supper table.Hope you enjoy reading all the posts as much as I do.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:05 AM
MCarlson
Senior User
Welcome Julie. Everybody here is helpful and they don't even make fun of you much. I don't do the glove thing very often, but I will definitely second the eye protection. Pulled a great Three Stooges trick last month with a can of PB blaster. My safety glasses were hanging over my work bench at the time, right below the face shield. Not one of my better decisions.
Mike

Quick Reply: I'm here and I'm New!