Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Chrysler offer: $2.99 gas for 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:31 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup. the gas thing is the only deducton off the sticker price you will get. it works out to be about $1,700 if i remember corectly.
compaired to the $6,000+ you get off the sticker price of a chevy or ford.
But it's like anything else based on credit; if you don't feel the pinch right away, it isn't as bad. So few of us look at the total cost of anything. I mean, how many people buy a $300k home without realizing that they are paying a million or so before it is paid off (actual numbers may vary)? Also, people buy new stuff at an alarming rate, knowing full well that they are very unlikely to see it completely paid off. So, people are going to buy Chrysler products for one reason: When they fill it up, it is going to cost less, so they can enjoy their trip a little bit longer. Never mind that they could have had a comparably equipped Ford or (God forbid) Chevy with lower monthly payments. It's like the guy who doesn't buy a truck with a 40 gallon tank becasue "It'll cost a lot more to fill it up each time..." What kind of narrow minded thinking is that?

Old 06-22-2008, 12:42 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Lets assume you purchase a diesel powered 2500 Ram. According to Chrysler's website you are allotted 2,400 gallons at $2.99. Lets assume a price of $4.75 for diesel which gives a savings of $1.76 per gallon. If you use those 2,400 gallons per year that is a savings of $4,224 per year. Multiply that by three and you have a total of $12,672 which isn't too shabby. Now, add in the fact that you feel a heck of a lot better about buying fuel for $2.99 than $4.75. Just my 2 cents

Old 06-22-2008, 12:51 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Except it isn't valid on diesel. Only certain vehicles with 87 octane, and I think only a certain amount of fuel can be purcahsed each year at that $2.99

Old 06-22-2008, 12:55 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
Except it isn't valid on diesel. Only certain vehicles with 87 octane, and I think only a certain amount of fuel can be purcahsed each year at that $2.99
Actually Adrian, it is valid on diesel, E85 and 87. Check this site out: Official Dodge Site - Refuel America - $2.99 Gas Guarantee

It has a list of all of the terms as well as a list of the yearly allotment for each vehicle.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:00 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Well, I am buying gas at $3.849 right now. Assume for a minute that gas maintains a cost of $3.909 per gallon. If they allow 12,000 miles per year- or, about 1000 gallons (probably less)- at $2.999/ gallon, then the savings is about $0.91 per gallon, or $910/ year. Three years and your rebate ends up being $2730. Not quite as good as $4000, but the monthly payments are going to offset any decent savings, anyway.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:03 PM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Lets assume you purchase a diesel powered 2500 Ram. According to Chrysler's website you are allotted 2,400 gallons at $2.99. Lets assume a price of $4.75 for diesel which gives a savings of $1.76 per gallon. If you use those 2,400 gallons per year that is a savings of $4,224 per year. Multiply that by three and you have a total of $12,672 which isn't too shabby. Now, add in the fact that you feel a heck of a lot better about buying fuel for $2.99 than $4.75. Just my 2 cents
Divide that 2400 gallons by three. The allotment of fuel listed on that chart is for the whole 3-year program and not just one years worth. So that 4,224 is the programs total benefit. This of course will fluctuate depending on where you live and the price of gas in that locale.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Zedrive
Senior User
All the auto makers know that the way to make money is to get people eating out of their trough.
Minimally engineered to last the warranty. After which most people have to book an appointment and let the techs fix the problems they have bought.
Chrysler products are real eye candy [the lure] the other incentives set the hook.

I have a VW Jetta the cams are run with a belt as opposed to chains or gears. This little under engineering forces the owner of one of these vehicles to replace a belt every 100,000 km. Catastrofic if you try and push it to long and also more money for the dealers, should one do so. The dealers are who the manufacturers need. And to get them they imply that as well as the initial vehicle sale they will keep the service bays busy for the dealerships.
Smart business. Bad for the consumer.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:46 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by stu37d
But it's like anything else based on credit; if you don't feel the pinch right away, it isn't as bad. So few of us look at the total cost of anything. I mean, how many people buy a $300k home without realizing that they are paying a million or so before it is paid off (actual numbers may vary)?
when i bought my house, i looked at the price difference between a 15 year and a 30 year note. the difference was $57 per month higher for the 15 year. the total difference for the 30 year note, was $79,000 more at the end of 30 years compared to the 15 year note.

i figured it was a no brainer to go with the 15 year note.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by A. Michael Foxtrot
Divide that 2400 gallons by three. The allotment of fuel listed on that chart is for the whole 3-year program and not just one years worth. So that 4,224 is the programs total benefit. This of course will fluctuate depending on where you live and the price of gas in that locale.
d'oh! Whoops, looks like I missed that. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:49 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Zedrive
All the auto makers know that the way to make money is to get people eating out of their trough.
Minimally engineered to last the warranty. After which most people have to book an appointment and let the techs fix the problems they have bought.
Chrysler products are real eye candy [the lure] the other incentives set the hook.

I have a VW Jetta the cams are run with a belt as opposed to chains or gears. This little under engineering forces the owner of one of these vehicles to replace a belt every 100,000 km. Catastrofic if you try and push it to long and also more money for the dealers, should one do so. The dealers are who the manufacturers need. And to get them they imply that as well as the initial vehicle sale they will keep the service bays busy for the dealerships.
Smart business. Bad for the consumer.
The cam gears are not the only thing turned by that timing belt... A timing belt is also quieter and won't stretch like a timing chain will. I'm sure that the first thing on the engineer's minds was how to keep a service bay busy when designing the motor.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:06 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I saw this ad today for the first time.....There's always a catch.

I'll still buy an old Ford instead, lol.....besides I put more than 12,000 miles on in a year.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:12 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by tjc transport
when i bought my house, i looked at the price difference between a 15 year and a 30 year note. the difference was $57 per month higher for the 15 year. the total difference for the 30 year note, was $79,000 more at the end of 30 years compared to the 15 year note.

i figured it was a no brainer to go with the 15 year note.
That means that you, sir, are unique. And smarter than the average consumer who is concerned with how much house they can get with the least amount of payment. I am guilty of it as well, but my mind has been changed as of late. Next home I buy will be on a 15 year mortgage, even though I will have to buy less house.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:12 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Actually Adrian, it is valid on diesel, E85 and 87. Check this site out: Official Dodge Site - Refuel America - $2.99 Gas Guarantee

It has a list of all of the terms as well as a list of the yearly allotment for each vehicle.
Sorry - you are right

Old 06-22-2008, 04:42 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
It's all marketing BS and if you think otherwise your crazy! I went to deal on a Dodge dually mega cab 3500 and the 2.99 gas deal is a freaking joke! They will happily get you 2.99 fuel for 3 years but your going to pay a ton more for your truck! When it's all said and done I could buy a 3500 Ram last year for the same price.......BS marketing is all it is! Employee pricing BS is the same too! You pay less with the employee pricing and get a higher interest rate....You pay more up front and get 0%.......... Nothings free! It just makes us all "feel" like we got a great deal! Funny thing is that all of the big 3 truck sales are still in the crapper even with all there marketing!

What would truly be a deal would be employee pricing with 2.99 fuel and all the rebates and 0% interest for up to 72 months! Now that would be a deal!!

If people would wait and let the auto market bottom out we could all get even better deals! But people fall for the BS too often and then say how they got a great deal!

It would be so nice if dealers just made a fixed ammount, say $1000 dollars on each vehicle! I never feel like I ever have gotten a good deal! Most if not all car dealers are legal rip off artists! It's always "what will you pay" I guess you could say they are the only legalized form of thieves!!

If I sold my product like they do I would be thrown in jail!

I have made the decision to NEVER EVER buy from a car dealer ever again! Used cars every time for me! No sales tax and huge markups etc........

Old 06-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Zedrive
Senior User
Engineers design to the minimum required standard.
Any more means wasted money and time.
The bar for cars would be set to the warranty period. Design to ensure those liabilities are met.
Yes there are more pretty corporate terms for this but why mince words.

Quick Reply: Chrysler offer: $2.99 gas for 3 years