Hit and miss test batches

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:55 PM
blkbeast
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit and miss test batches

I've made 5 test batches and 2 of the 5 have turned out good. My first batch I followed the Dr Pepper method and it turned out good. then two more following the same method turned to sludge. I took the recipe i've seen here for a 25 gal batch (5gal methanol, 3lbs KOH), reduced it down and made a batch using one quart oil, 7oz HEET, and 2oz KOH, which was good again. Today I tripled that recipe using 3qts oil, 21oz HEET, and 6oz KOH and had sludge again. I didn't dewater any of the batches but assumed that since the first batch was good and all oil is from same place water wasn't a problem. What factors cause it to turn to sludge? Not enough KOH? Too much KOH? Water? Not enough methanol? I've got my processor built and am just trying to get the method down before I dive in with a full batch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike

Old 05-02-2008, 07:29 PM
blkbeast
Junior User
Think i figured out my problem. I used too much KOH. I was using a cheap dial type kitchen scale to measure. I got a better digital scale today, and measured out the KOH and it was a lot less than what i put in yesterday. It's settling out now and looks like it's going to be a good batch. Going to try another test batch or 2 and then go get a drum of methanol and fire up the processor and see how it works.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 PM
1994diesel
Elder User
what size drum of methanol are you buying?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:11 PM
orng1
Postmaster
I've seen it said a few times, "use a good quality digital scale". Good thing you were able o figure out where you were having a problem though and thanks fro posting about your experiences. It helps us all learn. I'm still learning too. I think my first batch is going to come out good too, I washed it today and it looks good. Washing it again over night and I'll try it hopefully monday.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:21 PM
orng1
Postmaster
I've seen it said a few times, "use a good quality digital scale". Good thing you were able o figure out where you were having a problem though and thanks fro posting about your experiences. It helps us all learn. I'm still learning too. I think my first batch is going to come out good too, I washed it today and it looks good. Washing it again over night and I'll try it hopefully monday.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:21 PM
blkbeast
Junior User
I drained off the glycerol and did one wash today. gonna do a couple more tommorow and let it dry. i think when i get another batch done i should have a little over 2 gallons and i'll try it in my reddy heater and see if it works. About the only way i've found to get methanol in my area is to buy a 55 gallon drum. I need to check on it again, but a month ago when i called about it, a drum cost $255. The oil collector at the restraunt is getting on my nerves. I've got a drum sitting out by the grease dumpster that the staff have been filling for me. Every other time I go to collect my oil from my drum, the collector has pumped it and the dumpster dry. I'm in the process of trying to find a couple more places that will let me collect so I won't have to worry about the one I have being a hit and miss prospect. just learning as i go.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 PM
1994diesel
Elder User
me to

Originally Posted by blkbeast
I drained off the glycerol and did one wash today. gonna do a couple more tommorow and let it dry. i think when i get another batch done i should have a little over 2 gallons and i'll try it in my reddy heater and see if it works. About the only way i've found to get methanol in my area is to buy a 55 gallon drum. I need to check on it again, but a month ago when i called about it, a drum cost $255. The oil collector at the restraunt is getting on my nerves. I've got a drum sitting out by the grease dumpster that the staff have been filling for me. Every other time I go to collect my oil from my drum, the collector has pumped it and the dumpster dry. I'm in the process of trying to find a couple more places that will let me collect so I won't have to worry about the one I have being a hit and miss prospect. just learning as i go.
i know what you mean, there is a tallow company that is in my local area, and they frigg'n PAY almost every restaurants for there wvo, so its hard for me to get some wvo around here. Theyre just s#!t'n on the little guy!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:18 AM
lowell75
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1994diesel
i know what you mean, there is a tallow company that is in my local area, and they frigg'n PAY almost every restaurants for there wvo, so its hard for me to get some wvo around here. Theyre just s#!t'n on the little guy!
So whats' new...your cutting into thier bread n butter. You could be in Ca. where you have to have a permit and a million dollar bond to collect!! The big boys will not let you become energy independant if they can help it.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:57 AM
1994diesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by lowell75
So whats' new...your cutting into thier bread n butter. You could be in Ca. where you have to have a permit and a million dollar bond to collect!! The big boys will not let you become energy independant if they can help it.
ya, i know that. there just as greedy as the oil companys. i am in cali. btw

Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
I've made 5 test batches and 2 of the 5 have turned out good. My first batch I followed the Dr Pepper method and it turned out good. then two more following the same method turned to sludge ....................

I drained off the glycerol and did one wash today. gonna do a couple more tommorow and let it dry. i think when i get another batch done i should have a little over 2 gallons and i'll try it in my reddy heater and see if it works. About the only way i've found to get methanol in my area is to buy a 55 gallon drum. I need to check on it again, but a month ago when i called about it, a drum cost $255. .
If you recover the residual methanol then use Magnesol for dry washing you will eliminate the problem you are having with soap (sludge) formation plus save $$ on methanol
The oil collector at the restraunt is getting on my nerves. I've got a drum sitting out by the grease dumpster that the staff have been filling for me. Every other time I go to collect my oil from my drum, the collector has pumped it and the dumpster dry. I'm in the process of trying to find a couple more places that will let me collect so I won't have to worry about the one I have being a hit and miss prospect. just learning as i go.
Find out what the collectors schedule is and beat him to it, put a lock on the drum so he cant pump it, or get the restraunt to pour oil back into the cubes they get it in and call you for a pick up.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 PM
blkbeast
Junior User
I'm going to pickup my drum of methanol friday and hopefully make a 25 gallon batch shortly thereafter.

I saw a lockable collection drum lid at utah biodiesel that looked interesting. the drums i have have a lockable ring that holds the lid on so i think i'm going to use my lids and their idea and be able to do it for less than the $175 they want.
In the near future i plan on making a methanol recovery vessel and i'm just going to store the glycerol until i get it completed. i'll probably water wash for a little while to see how it's all working and then jump into using magnesol to dry wash. I just haven't figured out how i'm going to filter the magnesol out of it yet. I've read you're not supposed to pull it through the pump because it'll break it into smaller particles, so i'm thinking that i'll use the pump to pull it through the filter. i'm sure i'll see or read something somewhere that'll give me more and better ideas and i'll constantly be changing and modifying things. Just trying to keep the initial cost down as much as possible until i can save some money on fuel and then i can add on as money allows. Thanks for all the great info and ideas i've collected so far.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
A couple of ways to do what you are planning.

BTW dont forget to recover the methanol from your BD it will greatly reduce the chance of soap formation.

One easy way to recover Methanol is to put the BD or Glycerin under a vacuum and gently heat the vessel. A good vacuum pump can be made from an old refrigeratore compressor.

You can also use the compressor to draw a vacuum and pull BD thru a filter while removing Magnesol but I suspect gravity will do the job just fine.