1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

my truck is mad at me... i need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my truck is mad at me... i need help!

So, I was having a bad day, and i did what i usually do when im trying to get my mind off the day. I test drove a 2002 Ford F250 diesel w/ the manual tranny.
My truck is mad at me. It took me back to school no problem, but on the way home it started acting funny. It started with the speedometer not working. then the odometer did not come on. after half a mile the OD light started blinking, then the real fun started. Getting on the freeway, as it accelerated it shifted like it was trying to break my neck. it would wait until almost redline, then shift in a quarter of a second and make me look at the cieling briefly.
Next, on Hwy 174, a windy two lane road, it couldnt decide between gears, and was still shifting like that. needless to say my neck hurts.
To top it all off, when i Got home, my interior lights would not come on by door or turning the **** for lights....
It all happened within 10 minutes, except the last one, which was about half an hour later.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:11 AM
immastrokinnow
Elder User
yea. i swear my vehicles know when they are about the be replaced.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:19 AM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
You have to sneak out in a different vehicle to go test drive something. Never let your truck know what you are up to.

Check your vehicle speed sensor on top of your rear axle. Unbolt it and pull it out and clean it off and re-install it. Also check the wiring. The symptoms you described are from the computer not knowing what speed you are going so it does not know what to do with the tranny, hence the funny shifting. The VSS is not telling the computer what speed you are going so the computer can not tell you with the speedometer and the odometer.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by F350_Hauler
Check your vehicle speed sensor on top of your rear axle. Unbolt it and pull it out and clean it off and re-install it. Also check the wiring. The symptoms you described are from the computer not knowing what speed you are going so it does not know what to do with the tranny, hence the funny shifting. The VSS is not telling the computer what speed you are going so the computer can not tell you with the speedometer and the odometer.
X2 on VSS. Just a note if you decide to buy a new one, ask the parts guy for a RABS (Rear anti-lock brake sensor). If you ask for VSS the'll give you a small box that creates a cloud when you open it! (also kinda cool though )

Old 05-02-2008, 08:53 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Robbgt
X2 on VSS. Just a note if you decide to buy a new one, ask the parts guy for a RABS (Rear anti-lock brake sensor). If you ask for VSS the'll give you a small box that creates a cloud when you open it! (also kinda cool though )
Creates a cloud???
Ok guys thanks for the idea, im going to go out and try to pull it and clean it now.
And i'm definately not replacing her...
Just wanted to drive one with a manual, that's all.
also, how much am i looking at if it needs replacing?

Old 05-02-2008, 09:30 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its not the VSS. Check your fuses. one of them will be blown. Hopefully it won't continue to blow. Do you have keyless entry?

Old 05-02-2008, 09:45 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Its not the VSS. Check your fuses. one of them will be blown. Hopefully it won't continue to blow. Do you have keyless entry?
Well, i cleaned the VSS, even though it wasnt really dirty. Yes i have keyless entry, and i think i forgot to mention that stopped working as well. I'll go check my fuse panel now.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:51 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
TJ, you nailed it!
In the fuse box under the hood, center row, fifth from passengers side, a 30 amp fuse is blown!
Now i just need to run to the parts place. Should i get a pic of which one it is?
Thanks again! hope this does it.
What would make it repeatedly blow?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:13 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by secondarychaos
TJ, you nailed it!
In the fuse box under the hood, center row, fifth from passengers side, a 30 amp fuse is blown!
Now i just need to run to the parts place. Should i get a pic of which one it is?
Thanks again! hope this does it.
What would make it repeatedly blow?
When I had the same problem on my 95 the keyless entry module went bad and would intermittently blow a fuse but I think mine was a 15 amp and it seems like it was the dash panel not the engine compartment one. Check those too and replace the one your found and see what happens

Old 05-02-2008, 10:19 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Well, I replaced the 30 amp, no difference at all.
I'll go check my dash panel, since i didnt earlier, thinking powertrain problem would be bigger fuse.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Well i must say, your experience with these trucks is amazing. dash panel, 15 amp fuse blown. Did you ever figure out why it was blowing them intermittently?
Now i need to run back to the parts store.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I don't know why it was intermittent but I finally tracked it down to the keyless entry module and maybe some thing to do with the back up lights. I think. It was 4 years ago so I have a hard time remember which issue was part of which problem. replace the fuse and keep a few spares just in case. If it continues to blow unhook all three connectors from the keyless entry module. The keyless module is under the dash right behind the cubby hole. its a black box with three long flat connectors going to it stacked like a 3 man pyramid.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:34 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
alright sounds good. I'll pick up a few when i go. How long was it for you inbetween fuse replacement?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

It went for days before doing it some times. I finally just drove around for a few weeks with a circuit breaker in there until I found the issue.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:26 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
It went for days before doing it some times. I finally just drove around for a few weeks with a circuit breaker in there until I found the issue.
how difficult was that to hook up???

Quick Reply: my truck is mad at me... i need help!