1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The Oil Companies Are Scared

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:59 AM
keith56_cruz_cab
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Oil Companies Are Scared

GM Sequel Hydrogen concept on carlist.com

Here's why! hydrogen powered cars are just around the corner!
who knows in a few years we all just might convert our trucks to hydrogen.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I'd be interested in converting but how would it be done? My biggest concern about alternative fuels is what is going to happen to our trucks now that we have put so much work into them? Are they going to turn into worthless dust collectors taking up space? What does it take to run on hydrogen? Is the conversion something like running on propane where you basically just change out the carburator? Also, what kind of on board storage do you need? I would assume you need something more air tight than the stock fuel tank.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 AM
48fordcoe
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be hydrogen by this weekend .just making the braced to hold the cell I made. right I will be putting the HHO gas I the vacuun in the back of carb. vacuun pull the gas in ...I could be getting 40% to 60 % better gas miles .. I made 3 cell testing so I spend more on it ,but it should ouly cost about $ 60.00 to make .. If you can build your trucks you can make a hydrogen cell , can be use in your back year grill to cook outside ,can make a plasan cutter,save on gas in your car ,,,no fuel tank use on demand,no storge tank

Old 05-01-2008, 08:12 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I hope you post some pictures of your set up. I would like to see how it goes together.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:19 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Hydrogen has some real disadvantages when you look closely. In the first place, the most economical way to make it is from natural gas or oil. If you make it by electrolysis, it takes huge amounts of water and power (generated by _____?). There is expected to be as big a problem with power and water supplies in the future as there is with oil. The best way to utilize it isn't by combustion, it's in a fuel cell made of expensive materials (i.e., electric cars). Did I mention it's explosive??

Old 05-01-2008, 08:22 AM
48fordcoe
Elder User
I had it running for 3 hour's ,just making the gas. The hard part is finding the thinks to make it .

Old 05-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Campbell 56
Senior User
They're talking about FUEL CELL TECHNOLOGY, not a hydrogen powered internal combustion engine. Hydrogen fuel cells make electricity which can be stored in batteries or used directly to power cars or anything else that uses electricity. We won't be retrofitting our trucks to run on hydrogen anytime in the near future, as the cost of a real fuel cell and the supporting equipment and infrastructure to make, transport, store and dispense it is very large and will take a long time to implement. It is probably the right answer to our energy needs, but I'm not expecting to see it in my lifetime. Maybe if all the powers that be could act as a single unit and we don't get distracted by other more immediate concerns, but don't hold your breath.
A better option would be to distill alcohol from a source other than corn, sorry all you agri-business lobbyists, and use that instead of gas for the next 30 or 40 years to limit our dependency on foreign oil. In that time a lot of research could be done to figure out how to make fuel cells cheap enough to be useable.
Does anybody remember what Mr Reagan said when he was campainging in 1980? What about our natural gas reserves here in NA?

To be literate is to understand and be understood by others.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:41 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 48fordcoe
I'll be hydrogen by this weekend .just making the braced to hold the cell I made. right I will be putting the HHO gas I the vacuun in the back of carb. vacuun pull the gas in ...I could be getting 40% to 60 % better gas miles .. I made 3 cell testing so I spend more on it ,but it should ouly cost about $ 60.00 to make .. If you can build your trucks you can make a hydrogen cell , can be use in your back year grill to cook outside ,can make a plasan cutter,save on gas in your car ,,,no fuel tank use on demand,no storge tank
Are you figuring to make hydrogen on demand in your truck? What's the power source?

Old 05-01-2008, 08:53 AM
48fordcoe
Elder User
you can make a fuel cell out of a glass jar with 2 plates 1 - 1+ , 12 voils. My cell has 6 plates ,i'm going to make a 14 plates . its not high tech. its so easy ,why has it taken so long ,1 guy drove for the east coast to the west coast on 22 gal of water 20 years ago..plus he was murder for what he know about Hydrogen fuel.. maybe by the oil company...he has 40 patent on hydrogen

Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
yield2s
Elder User
Google Loremo, It's a 150mpg 4 seater that just uses a plain ol turbo diesel. no Mickey Mouse Hybred or regerating braking.
My 1st car was an Isuzu I-Mark diesel that got me 50mpg all day long IT WAS A 1981 MODEL!!!! There's no good reason we're not all driving 100mpg diesels to commute with and our pride and joy trucks on weekends.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:22 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
The automobile companies have had the technology for many years. The problem is the infrastructure needed to support the technology. Look what a problem it was when the electric cars came on the market...where were they going to plug in and how would they be billed for the charging. From a purely financial/economic standpoint...how many jobs would be lost in the oil industry if tomorrow we switched off gasoline and onto fuel cells? I am not advocating continuing the status quo but this issue is far more complex than most of us are aware of... Another related technology shift area is digital TV; we are just now switching over to all digital broadcasts...anyone care to guess how many years this has been in the works?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Are you figuring to make hydrogen on demand in your truck? What's the power source?
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the setup described in this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6092970
or something similar.

My feelings on the subject are laid out in that thread as well. If you are using energy from a gasoline engine to run an electrolysis device and then burning the hydrogen that you generate, it's a no-win situation.

And on a separate note, hydrogen fuel cells are great, IF you have a cheap source of electricity to run the hydrogen generator. But once you have a cheap source of electricity, why not just have a pure electric car? Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Scared? Nah!
If a viable new technology ever comes along the oil companies will simply buy up the controlling interests in that tech with the obscene profits we are giving them.
It is very possible to produce much more energy efficient cars right now, and have done so in the past. I had a 1980 Honda Prelude that got 40 mpg all day long on regular gas without FI or any fancy electronics and it was comfortable and fun to drive. My 2002 Celica gets 31 MPG on regular gas and won a national championship in autocross. The engine in my 08 Solstice makes 260hp from just 2L displacement and gets 25 MPG. There is only one reason the Solstice doesn't easily get >35 MPG: weight! The government requires a laundry list of safety features to protect us from the even heavier and clumsier Stupid Useless Vehicles that peer status pressure says must be bigger than your garage, and the buyers require a second list of comfort and convenience items that add even more weight. There are a number of lighter much more fuel efficient cars being built and sold right now in other countries that can't be sold here, from 2 seater commuter cars to the original VW bug.
As CharlieLED says phasing in lighter more fuel efficient cars would take decades or an energy crisis of biblical proportions (or expanding the Gulf war into a couple more oil producing nations). A complete reeducation, that you don't need a landbarge to go to the mall, smaller lighter vehicles can be as/more safe without being built like a tank, and we don't need 8 speakers, 6 cup holders, a separate plasma screen TV for each seat and leather upholstery for the 15 minute average commute.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
If you are using energy from a gasoline engine to run an electrolysis device and then burning the hydrogen that you generate, it's a no-win situation.
Exactly... the classical perpetual motion machine... Electrolysis is not 100% efficient, gas-to-electricity is about 5% efficient overall (gasoline to electrons). The typical alternator is less than 40% by itself, engines are less than 30%, so you would have to burn about 7.5X the amount of gasoline to generate the equivalent amount of electricity.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:46 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
If you are using energy from a gasoline engine to run an electrolysis device and then burning the hydrogen that you generate, it's a no-win situation.
Exactly... the classical perpetual motion machine... Electrolysis is not 100% efficient, gas-to-electricity is about 5% efficient overall (gasoline to electrons). The typical alternator is less than 40% by itself, engines are less than 30%, so you would have to burn about 7.5X the amount of gasoline to generate the equivalent amount of electricity.