Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Should I Switch From 20" Pirelli's to 20" BFG T/A's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:20 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Should I Switch From 20" Pirelli's to 20" BFG T/A's?

I am taking delivery of a 2008 F-150 Supercrew in a couple of weeks (at the longest) with the stock 20” Pirelli tires. I am considering upgrading the tires before I take delivery because I haul a 6,000# trailer during the summer (about 12x a year) and a utility trailer with my quads (6X a year). I am concerned that the sidewalls of the P-metric Pirelli’s will provide a squirmy ride with the travel trailer – especially in windy conditions, passing semis, or curvy roads (obviously speed will be adjusted). The only tires I can find as close replacements in an LT tire are the BFG T/A KO and the Michelin LTX A/T2. I prefer OWL tires, so it boils down to the BFG – a great tire.

So, my apprehension is this… I drive 50k unloaded miles a year, and ride quality is important. The whole 5k I tow obviously isn’t the brunt of my driving. Will this LT BFG with a three-ply sidewall kill my ride? I’m sure handling will improve, but the last thing I want to do is pay the $400 upgrade now, and pay for a crappy bumpy ride like I have now in my F-250 Crewcab. I hear that anything will be an improvement over the Pirelli’s, especially with their “flat spotting” in cold weather. If the Pirelli’s prove to be the wrong choice, it will cost a lot more to scrap them and change after they have a few miles on them – about $1,200 – when I can do it now for about $400.

Is anybody running the 20” BFG’s on their F-150 that can give me some feedback? I’d appreciate it. I posted the same questions on another board, but only get one user of the BFG’s.

Thanks,

Smokewagun.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:10 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Alrighty, then. I guess not.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 PM
dew the thunder
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had two sets of Pirelli Scorpions on my truck. Both were 265/75/16. Great tire... as far as traction and durability go. Treadwear? Non-existant. Neither set made it over 2 years and my last set only have one season (5000 miles MAX) left in them at 23,000 miles. Just watch out buying LT tires as it seems very few of them actually have a warranty. Out of your options I would take the BFGs any day. Plus even if the sidewalls are stiffer the newer F150s ride like boats compared to the likes of my truck.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Thanks, Dew. I think I'm making this harder than I should. I called BFG and they pretty much scolded me for even thinking about changing tire size (275 to 285) and going LT. I want control dragging a 6,000# brick behind me. For some reason it seems I am the only one concerned about a P-metric thin sidewall and sway in the wind and near a semi on the highway while dragging the trailer. Maybe there is a good reason. Unfortunately, nothing I read says the Pirelli's are worth a snot. So I figure I had better get the LT's, or go to another P-metric brand before I have to toss away $1,400 to change them out after two weeks of driving and finding out the Pirelli's are junk. The flat-spotting issue they all seem to have I won't deal with. I log 50k a year, and that won't cut it.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 PM
dew the thunder
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems like most of the reviews I read for most of the AT BFGs are people getting 40k+ miles out of them. Not sure what to expect as far as tire wear goes on a lighter truck but I can see the BFGs lasting a fair amount of time.

UTfball68 also had a point with getting rid of the 20s. No matter what vehicle you drive having a larger rim reduces sidewall and while it increases handling capability it reduces ride quality.

Also not sure if it holds true or not but it seems like the larger the wheel the more weight the wheel/tire combo is. Which may make a mark on your braking, acceleration, and gas mileage.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go with the michelins...i've had good luck with every set of michelins i've ever owned