1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Why are the tuned 7.3's more desireable??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smokin'
Dang i'd park it once in the woods and never find it again. That's why my truck is RED.

I'd have to agree with you all on the reliability of the 7.3.
Not to mention the mpg that can be coaxed out of them with very little effort. I'm 48 hrs from my DP and my mpg experiment. I'm going down 232 miles with my Superchip and back the same 232 with a brand new DP, I will post the results and not compromise the test in any way.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Markadeck
Not to mention the mpg that can be coaxed out of them with very little effort. I'm 48 hrs from my DP and my mpg experiment. I'm going down 232 miles with my Superchip and back the same 232 with a brand new DP, I will post the results and not compromise the test in any way.
Mark, this is exactly why I have kept the 330 hypermax chip the truck had in it when I bought it - my truck gets excellent mileage, even with the lift and bigger tires. On an easy highway trip, keeping the R's down, no hauling, it's been know to get 22mpg.

I'll be interested to see how your experiment turns out.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by Smokin'
Mark, this is exactly why I have kept the 330 hypermax chip the truck had in it when I bought it - my truck gets excellent mileage, even with the lift and bigger tires. On an easy highway trip, keeping the R's down, no hauling, it's been know to get 22mpg.

I'll be interested to see how your experiment turns out.
Me too, but I've read and been informed that the Superchip is probably what has been causing my premature transmission failures. I hope to retain the same or better mpg with Jody's 80 tune, but I want more power, as much as can be gotten out of it when I want it and don't care about mpg at the time. Something I can't do with the 1 posistion Superchip.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:02 PM
redfire42
Posting Guru
A friend of mine has an 04 6.o and ran the snot out of it with no problems. He once told me he was getting 600HP out of it with a straight pipe, intake, and the Edge. I told him not a chance, and if thats true then I am pushing 450hp. He swore up and down that I am reading to much crap on this site and its filling my head. But another guy with an 03 6.o had nothing but problems. Nice truck, wrong powerplant. Then another guy I know has 325,000 miles on his early 99 and not a lick of problems other then a water pump.

LONG LIVE THE 7.3

Old 04-30-2008, 04:05 PM
redfire42
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Markadeck
Me too, but I've read and been informed that the Superchip is probably what has been causing my premature transmission failures.

The superchip does seem to had a hard shift to it. If what you said is true I am tuning mine back to stock. I don't have money for a new BTS yet

Old 04-30-2008, 04:23 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redfire42
The superchip does seem to had a hard shift to it. If what you said is true I am tuning mine back to stock. I don't have money for a new BTS yet
I ran superchip for 4 years with nothing but a muffler delete pipe pulling the heavy loads. It didn't hurt anything but my feelings once I got the DP. Such a difference. I would change programs as needed with the superchip. Some people put it in performance and never change it for towing. That will hurt your trans.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:09 PM
haulingboat
Elder User
Originally Posted by afinepoint
Can you explain this mod? SS sticks?

Reg

I believe he is refuring to his piston rods. The 01, 02, and 03 model 7.3's came with PMR rods (crappy and easy to break when running high HP). Guys with HP over 400 are encouraged to replace these crappy piston rods with rods built to withstand the forces of higher HP. SS sticks is his slang for stainless steel rods.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
i believe sticks= injectors

Old 04-30-2008, 05:30 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SS sticks = Single shot injectors (sticks)

Stock injectors apparently injects a "pilot" shot of fuel, then the "body" shot of fuel.

These stock injectors can be replaced with SS injectors which cause the motor to run a little louder, but apparently more fuel efficent and more power.. I do believe most of the serious hot rodders use SS injectors.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by afinepoint
Can you explain this mod? SS sticks?

Reg
"SS Sticks" = Single Shot Injectors. Single shots inject more fuel with less oil, so you can get a good HP gain without needing to go to big oil (High-output HPOP). BUT they require custom tuning in our trucks because the stock injectors are Split Shots. And to fully take advantage of the extra fuel, a larger turbo is needed as well (at least a van turbo/1.0 exhaust housing).

EDIT: I guess I was a little slooooowwww. I started to reply, then got distracted with work, then my family came home...................

Old 04-30-2008, 06:54 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
I just dropped a set of (small 175/146) Swamps injectors in my truck. Man, those coupled with DP Tuner makes her fly compared to my old Predator, never mind the difference between stock! I will absolutely concur with the fact you should get a bigger turbo. I make a lot of smoke when I want, but I'm sure if there was more air thrown in the mix, I'd be putting more power to the ground, instead of in the cab of the ricer next to me!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:55 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
P.S.- they are louder, and since I'm having so much fun it's hard to keep my foot out of it, I have yet to notice an increase in mileage!!

Old 11-25-2014, 02:24 PM
Asytole61
Freshman User
7.3's

Originally Posted by Sawbones25
If I may chime in:
I recently bought my first truck with a diesel motor. But I have been driving vehicles on a regular basis with Powerstroke motors since they were introduced. I still remember our first ambulance at work with the PSD. Compared to the older 7.3's, that thing was a rocket. And we never had any trouble with them.
As our fleet is constantly evolving, I have driven every year Ford with a PSD. We never had any trouble with the 7.3's. But the 6.0's were constantly out of service and in the shop. One of the 2006 ambulances we have is on it's 3rd complete motor. It has less than 30,000 miles. Turbos are constantly going out. Head gaskets. Fuel problems. Electrical issues. Cooling issues.
And that first 7.3 PSD ambulance we had, it is still in service with another jurisdiction. And still on it's original motor with over 150,000 hard miles.

So when I was in the market for a F-350, I didn't even bother looking at a truck with a 6.0...
Yep worked as a fire dept medic for over 34 years, was witness to the multiple fleet changes during That time. The 7.3's ruled, running 24/7, long idle time to ***** to the wall's running flat out on the streets and surrounding highways, not to mention in the coldest and hottest of weather. Occasionally starting or charging issue but what do you want for running like mules.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Sawbones25
Senior User
Goodness Asystole! You really brought this thread back from the dead...

Originally Posted by Asytole61
Yep worked as a fire dept medic for over 34 years, was witness to the multiple fleet changes during That time. The 7.3's ruled, running 24/7, long idle time to ***** to the wall's running flat out on the streets and surrounding highways, not to mention in the coldest and hottest of weather. Occasionally starting or charging issue but what do you want for running like mules.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Asytole61
Freshman User
tuned 7.3

Originally Posted by Sawbones25
Goodness Asystole! You really brought this thread back from the dead...
Sorry bout that, new to site , just thought idle add something to forum I'm familiar with

Quick Reply: Why are the tuned 7.3's more desireable??