Symptoms Of A Bad Distributor??

Old 04-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Wildman_BlueOvalFan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Symptoms Of A Bad Distributor??

Hi there guys new to the site i have a 70 F-250 360/C6 typical package anyway when i got it ran pretty good sluggish and tired feeling but then i noticed it was leaking from the intake, so replaced the intake gasket anf new plugs, wires, blue streak cap an rotor, then she starts and runs but it wont idle for shizit then i rebuild the carb and toss out the points in favor of a new pertronix unit, and replaced the vaccuum advance, now it seems like it is falling on its face when i try to take off and chug a lugs along then once uo to speed and were motoring it seems to steady out somewhat, my ? is wouldnt a worn distributor give these and other symptoms any help here would be greatly appreciated..

Old 04-28-2008, 03:48 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
All you have in the distributor that could be consider a real moving part is the shaft inside some bronze bushings. If there was excessive wear then there would be excessive side play in the shaft itself when out of the car. Somehow I don't see this as a problem given all the distributors I have been through and rarely have seen that. I have seen many so gunked up inside that it would have been a miracle for the advance weights to even move at all. Who knows what your distributor looks like below the breaker plate. By the way is there any issue with the timing such as being too retarded due to a slipped harmonic balancer or position of the distributor one tooth off?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Wildman_BlueOvalFan
New User
Hello there there is alot of play in the shaft as a matter of fact and as far as the HB i will have to see if it has moved is this common what happens the keyway breaks off i assume? i have it set to 22 degrees and there is constant vacuum on my advance is that wrong i alwys though that the carb when opens supplies the vacuum anyway i need some more help i converted from 2 to 4 barrel and when i take off from a dead stop it is sluggish but the more gas i give it it improves slightly then it plains off while at normal running speed it is geting very frustrating as i am dying to find another intake and a good cam anybody know manu. and part numbers for a good 360 setup that wont break the bank heads i wasntedto run stock but have them freshened up a bit and i want a cam and intake etc. whats a good replacement distributor for the 360 that will work well and give decent performance?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Wildman_BlueOvalFan
New User
oh i meant to ask how much play is to much on the distributor shaft?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:15 AM
JJ98
Senior User
iam not to sure but if i read u right it was fine before u changed the intake gasket maybe its sucken air or it just not seated right ive done it the cork gasket moved a smige in the back and as for the other thing did u set the pertronix gap right iam sure u did also if the voltage is low to the coil it does that also if your conter weight springs are weak it wont pull right when u floor it it advaces to much or not enuff good luck