Brazil to make BioD form Sugarcane...and not kill any more forest

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 PM
haulingboat
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brazil to make BioD form Sugarcane...and not kill any more forest

Brazil to produce biodiesel from sugarcane

California startup Amyris engineers microbes to transform them into molecular oil refineries, digesting sugar to produce low-carbon equivalents of gasoline, diesel and jet fuel. Now in a bid to commercialize its technology, Amryis has struck a deal to create a joint venture with Brazilian ethanol giant Crystalev to produce biodiesel from sugarcane.

Some three-quarters of Brazil’s cars run on ethanol made from domestic sugarcane but the country imports diesel. “This is a game changer,” Amyris co-founder Jack Newman told Green Wombat this week at Fortune’s Brainstorm Green conference in Pasadena. “It gives us the ability to make a difference in terms of scale by tapping into existing agricultural land and Brazil’s ethanol infrastructure. It’s a great step forward for Amyris, and Brazil gets the option of producing ethanol or diesel from same resources.”

Most biodiesel today is made from soybeans or recycled vegetable oil and does not offer the same performance as petroleum-based diesel. The biodiesel produced by Amyris’ custom-designed microbes matches that performance and can be used in existing engines while cutting greenhouse-gas emissions by 80 percent, according to Newman, a microbiologist who is Amyris’ senior vice president of research.

If Amyris, an Emeryville-based company backed by marquee venture capitalists Khosla Ventures and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, can replicate its laboratory success in the field the environmental benefits could substantial.

For Brazil to become self-sufficient in diesel it would otherwise have to plant more soy, which means cutting down more of the Amazon rainforest that already is being destroyed to plant soy destined for North American dinner tables. Sugarcane grown on reclaimed pasture land and distilled with Amyris technology can produce ten times as much diesel per acre as soy. “You won’t have to displace crops into the rainforest area,” Newman says.

Production of the Brazilian biodiesel is expected to begin in 2010 if all goes according to plan and the necessary regulatory approvals are obtained.

“One of the reasons Brazil is so excited about the technology is that this gives them a biodiesel option with this great infrasture they already have,” Newman says. “It could provide them with 90 billion gallons a year without having to reclaim new land.”

Old 04-25-2008, 02:17 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Here's an idea. Let's stay on Brazil's good side.

They've had ethanol production, now they've figured out Biodiesel and are also expected to be one of the worlds top 10 oil producers. Hopefully they will share (or sell) some of this new technology.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:21 PM
misterfisher
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Here's an idea. Let's stay on Brazil's good side.

They've had ethanol production, now they've figured out Biodiesel and are also expected to be one of the worlds top 10 oil producers. Hopefully they will share (or sell) some of this new technology.

I would happily run Brazilian BioD provided it meets ASTM standards. If we can get the biofuels thing going while still being able to feed the world, that wold be great! Then the middle east can go right back to what they were before they were of any use to us.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:29 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by misterfisher
I would happily run Brazilian BioD provided it meets ASTM standards. If we can get the biofuels thing going while still being able to feed the world, that wold be great! Then the middle east can go right back to what they were before they were of any use to us.
They've already floated out predictions that the US will import most of it's oil from Brazil and China will replace our demand from the middle east which is fine by me.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:36 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
here is another interesting way to make diodiesel

Jatropha tree could be a biodiesel boon for Florida farmers, UF researcher says
University of Florida News - Jatropha tree could be a biodiesel boon for Florida farmers, UF researcher says

Old 04-25-2008, 02:38 PM
John311t
Postmaster
I have one problem with them using sugar and corn to make oil. It is this, they make it out of the sugar/corn, and the price is about the same maybe a small amount cheaper, yet the price on the sugar/corn goes up more than the savings. just something i have noticed.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:15 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by John311t
I have one problem with them using sugar and corn to make oil. It is this, they make it out of the sugar/corn, and the price is about the same maybe a small amount cheaper, yet the price on the sugar/corn goes up more than the savings. just something i have noticed.
I have almost quit using sugar since the price went nuts 30+ years ago,would that mean I would have to cut back on diesel more than I have

Old 04-25-2008, 03:59 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
Originally Posted by rbaker6336
here is another interesting way to make diodiesel

Jatropha tree could be a biodiesel boon for Florida farmers, UF researcher says
University of Florida News - Jatropha tree could be a biodiesel boon for Florida farmers, UF researcher says

Heard about this a few months ago while I was in Ca. It would definately be better than using food products for fuel.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:02 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
They've already floated out predictions that the US will import most of it's oil from Brazil and China will replace our demand from the middle east which is fine by me.
And the difference is? If China will replace our demand, how will the price of oil drop?

Old 04-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
There's no reason that we could not do the same here. We have thousands of square miles of unused land.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:31 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Look up "Diesel from algae".

They have equiment to raise oil-bearing algae from Co2 emmissions, such as a coal powered power pland, or even just the atmosphere.

In fact, they have ways of "algae farming" that yeilds 10x more oil per acre than any other oil bearing plant.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:31 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
There's no reason that we could not do the same here. We have thousands of square miles of unused land.
Labor is a reason that might hinder it

Old 04-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by parkland
Look up "Diesel from algae".

They have equiment to raise oil-bearing algae from Co2 emmissions, such as a coal powered power pland, or even just the atmosphere.

In fact, they have ways of "algae farming" that yeilds 10x more oil per acre than any other oil bearing plant.
I was just about to post on the production of biodiesel from seaweed..was a show on TLC about all this a while back. Pretty interesting stuff.

Biodiesel from seaweed

Summary: Royal Dutch Shell plc and HR Biopetroleum have announced the construction of a pilot facility in Hawaii to grow marine algae and produce vegetable oil for conversion into biofuel. The project is part of Shell's program to develop a new generation of biofuels using sustainable, non-food raw materials. Algae hold great promise because they grow very rapidly minimizing the use of fertile land and fresh water. They can double their mass several times a day and produce at least 15 times more oil per hectare than other alternatives. Moreover, facilities can be built on coastal land unsuitable for conventional agriculture. Over the long term, algae cultivation facilities also have the potential to absorb or capture waste CO2 directly from industrial facilities.

Energy Balance: Israel makes Biofuel from "Seaweed".

Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by aklim
Labor is a reason that might hinder it
Mechanical harvesting is easy for suger cane. Giant lawn mower chewing the stuff up into pulp. One man/woman operating and another driving the hopper truck.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:58 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by aklim
And the difference is? If China will replace our demand, how will the price of oil drop?
1) Part of the reason for high oil costs is the speculation market. When Brazil ramps up production people will try and get out of the market before supplies increase for the fear of losing money.

2) China's demand is already growing at an astounding pace. Without additional supplies to offset demand $120 oil might sound cheap.

3) The Chi-coms will negotiate oil the same way OPEC does. In their own best interest. Since that government doesn't really care if all the autos are parked for a month or two just to prove a point, they will have greater bargaining power. If US demand for OPEC oil drops and their biggest customer (China) just stops taking delivery, or refuses to pay the price, what will OPEC do? Lower the price to move supplies?

Too bad none of this will fix the near future prices.

Originally Posted by Smokin'
I was just about to post on the production of biodiesel from seaweed..was a show on TLC about all this a while back. Pretty interesting stuff.

Biodiesel from seaweed
I haven't seen you around in a while Lisa. Welcome back.

There are numerous alternatives to producing Bio & Ethanol that are much better than Soybeans & Corn, but since the money's already been invested in building plants around those crops I'm afraid everyone will just sit and wait on a proven technology instead of investing a bunch of money on a new concept that may turn out to be inferior (again).

For now I'm afraid we'll just have to wait on the universities and small investment groups to develop a new technology/crop that will have enough appeal to attract the investors.

Brazil is fixing to make Bio out of sugarcane. Since they've already had success in the ethanol field I'm interested to see how they do.

Unfortunately I don't see any short term solution. If you think you have it bad I pay for fuel for 15 trucks. Imagine your fuel bill X15

Quick Reply: Brazil to make BioD form Sugarcane...and not kill any more forest