1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wiring a GM tilt column

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:52 PM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wiring a GM tilt column

Hi all, I'm in the process of putting my 52 F-1 panel back together. I've got a tilt steering column out of a '77 Monte Carlo. I don't have a lot of cash to put this truck together. We are expecting number two in December, and unfortunately, one of the toys has to go. I'm putting it back together because it's worth a great deal more assembled and driving than it is in the basket that it's in right now. I see the 150.00 harnesses on eBay and have often come very close to making the deal. However, I have a few concerns. Now stay with me because of my unfamiliararity with the column, my thoughts may not be correct. I see in the picture of the harness that it comes with a pigtail for the GM column, but it's only the longer thin black pigtail with all of the wires in one line. I think it's for the turn signals, but I could be wrong. I would lile to use the column ignition. I have the key, and don't really want to have to unlock the column with one key, just to start the engine with another. So, I guess my question would be what are each of the plugs on the column for. Will the 150.00 harnesses wire my column to start the engine?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
What is the ebay item #?
You could just get the plug and as much wire as you can from another donor car and the wire colors from me, but someone probably has a diagram commuter ready.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably depends on which kit you purchase. I would suggest the EZ Wire, or one of the others that is priced near it. Call them and tell them what you have and ask if the plug for the ignition ( its is sort of square shaped) is included. If it is not they should be able to add it without much additional cost. And you are correct the long narrow plug is turning signals, etc. By using the later GM column it will also have the Neutral safety switch (the half moon gizmo near the bottom) on it and most kits provide wires to hook it up.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:23 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything plugs into that long straight steering column plug. There are 2 different but similar plugs....4 1/4 and 3 7/8 inches. Look the same at first.

You can get copies of the wiring by just typing something like "gm column wiring" in a search engine.

Paul