6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

High Idle - Not Regeneration

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
CrazyChef
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Idle - Not Regeneration

Anyone having a higher then normal idle on the 08's ? It is not regenerating and it has been doing it for a couple of weeks. Makes weird noise in engine compartment when shutting off also. Diesel tech at dealership says they are considering it normal, he pulled two other 08's off the lot and said they did the same. I asked " What about the shut off noise ?" He mentioned it could be the fan. Wondering if anybody else is having the same at all ? Truck has about 14,000 miles on it.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
When mine is warming up, the first time I start it in the morning it will high idle if I dont drive away right away. As far as during the day while driving it, it only high idles when it is in regen.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 AM
jshumadine
Junior User
Try leaving it in park for a few minutes while it is in park to see if it goes into an active Regen. I noticed mine once spiking from about 650 RPM's to about 800 for a few days and I didn't know what was going on until I left in in park while running and then it went into Regen. Not sure if what RPM's you are experiencing but that is what happened to me although it sounds like yours has been happening for a long period of time.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 AM
farnorthdan
Junior User
Mine will high idle if the outside temp is below a certain temp. I forget what the manual says but its something like 30degrees. Of course I live in AK so it does it alot especially in the morning.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:43 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by CrazyChef
Anyone having a higher then normal idle on the 08's ? It is not regenerating and it has been doing it for a couple of weeks. Makes weird noise in engine compartment when shutting off also. Diesel tech at dealership says they are considering it normal, he pulled two other 08's off the lot and said they did the same. I asked " What about the shut off noise ?" He mentioned it could be the fan. Wondering if anybody else is having the same at all ? Truck has about 14,000 miles on it.
If you tap the break and the idle drops and come right back up your are in regen. If you tap the break and the idle drops and comes back up it a few seconds its in high idle warm up. From what you decribe i would would say regen. The shutter from the intake is also an indication of the regen cycle.
How do you tell if its in regen or not?

Old 04-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Demolition
Senior User
As Sanddemon said, the "flutter" is very typical on shut down during regen, even if you depress the brake and lower the RPMs, there is still the telltale flutter sound. High idle in cooler temps is a normal op as well. Don't know where you live, but I have experienced high idle warm up in the 40s here.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
CrazyChef
New User
Thanks guys, Im in florida. I can tell when its in regen, turbo gage goes crazy, you can hear the coolers making weird high pitched sounds like the turbo's are winding out and hit the restet button for the fuel and you will see that you are getting 8.9 mpg's. I stomped on it today and it didnt idle high when i came to a light, would anyone of you guys think that maybe one of my turbo's is acting funny ?

Old 04-24-2008, 03:46 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Thanks guys, Im in florida. I can tell when its in regen, turbo gage goes crazy, you can hear the coolers making weird high pitched sounds like the turbo's are winding out and hit the restet button for the fuel and you will see that you are getting 8.9 mpg's. I stomped on it today and it didnt idle high when i came to a light, would anyone of you guys think that maybe one of my turbo's is acting funny ?
Let me show you how Ford explains it:

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=230>FORD:
</TD><TD>2008 F-Super Duty</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ISSUE:

2008 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with the 6.4L diesel engine are equipped with an oxidation catalytic converter (OC) and diesel particulate filter (DPF). The function and operation of these parts may cause some customers to perceive an issue with their vehicle.
ACTION:

Review the Operating Characteristics with the customer.
OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS

Diesel particulates in the exhaust are trapped by the DPF. Regeneration is the process by which exhaust temperatures are increased so the particulates are combusted.
The frequency and length of regeneration will fluctuate as both are determined by the drive cycle. For most drive conditions, regeneration frequency will vary from 100 - 600 miles (161 - 804 Km) between occurrence and last from 10 to 40 minutes. The first regeneration does not require 100 miles (161 Km) and may occur at any time. The length of regeneration is usually reduced if a constant speed above 30 MPH (48 Km/h) is maintained.
The following is a list of normal operation while the vehicle is in regeneration, and do not require repair. If you are not sure if the vehicle is in regeneration, IDS can be used to monitor the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) PID.
  • Engine idle speed can be 1100 to 1200 RPM in park/neutral with foot off brake.
  • High idle speed drops to within 50 RPM of normal idle when the brake pedal is touched, PRNDL is actuated, or clutch is actuated.
  • White smoke in cold ambients is normal and the amount will be increased during regeneration.
  • Powertrain power is limited to 325 horsepower (HP).
  • Engine responsiveness may be slightly different than normal operation.
  • During initiation of regeneration, exhaust smell may be noticed - especially on new vehicles.
  • Powertrain sound will be different including air induction noise (including flutter on deceleration or engine shut down), exhaust noise, and changes in engine radiated noise.
  • During regeneration, exhaust temperatures are elevated.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:51 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

A turbos issue will not come and go unless the turbo is a VGT,VVT setup or it has a waste gate setup that is not working correctly. In addition if the turbo was an issue you would diffinetly know it. Lack of power, slugish, CEL light would come on. The PCM moniters over 200 diffent parameters. Trust me these things are touchy.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:08 PM
CrazyChef
New User
Thanks Guys, It stopped High Idle for about 2 days, and it is now back and doing it again. Not in regen, press break does not drop RPM's one bit. Still making the "flutter" sound when shutting off also. It is Idleing just above 500 RPM, and it is usually below the 500 mark. There isnt more then one type of regen is there?. Sanddemon thank you for the article anyways, Ford has given me a print out of that also. Anything else you guys could think of that would cause this ? I'm new to diesels.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:23 PM
mcc
New User
This really does sound like a regen to me. I only drive my truck about 2 or 3 days a week, since diesel hit $4+, probably not more than 20 miles at a time in stop & go city traffic. Was just about ready to take it to the dealership. Decided, on the way to the grocery store, to drive it a little longer at highway speed. Within 30 miles at 65mph the boost gauge stopped going up & down & the high idle was gone at stops ......... just needed to complete a regen. If it never completes a regen, it will just start over again, it needs to be run. Just my 2 cents of my own experience.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:25 PM
mcc
New User
p.s. ,,, like the others have said ... the flutter is a dead give away for the regen ...

Old 04-30-2008, 01:30 AM
66stang351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just above 500 rpm doesn't sound like high idle to me at all. When someone says high idle on these I trhink 1200 rpm.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
whenever you can catch it high idling, run it by your dealer. we have had some issues with the ap circuit getting confused due to wire chafing around the ac lines on the right side.