Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 van motor swap w/larger 7.3 intercooled motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:11 PM
diver dan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 van motor swap w/larger 7.3 intercooled motor

This is the first time on here!need some help!I have a 2001 E350 7.3 van with a blown mtr.I am trying to replace it with a motor out of a 2001 F350 ,but the F350 was intercooled and had a 250 stock rating for hp vs a 215 stock hp rating that was in the van.I guess I am not much different than most people ,If I can use the 250 hp motor iwould like to.problems are the 250 out of the F350 had a intercooler the vans do not come with a intercooler so there are 2 ex plugs that go on the intercooler manifold that are not on the van engine harness.and the vanfirewall plug is on the pass side and the F350 plug is routed to the driver side. So if I just plug the F350 engine plug into the E350 firewall plug will the truck run.and has anyone out there put a f350 stock intercooler in a E350 van?I will take all the help I can get

Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Mr. Bob
Elder User
I believe the 2 engines are the same other than a few small exterior differences...

The HP difference was all to do with PCM tuning and not internal differences

I believe that you have to change the oil cooler and engine mounts... I would also swap the engine harness off the van to the new engine...

There is no room in the van for an IC, but it uses a different exhaust housing on the turbo, so make sure you swap the turbo over from the van, or at least the exhaust housing....

Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 PM
diver dan
Freshman User
Ok lets say I want a challange and I want to try and put a ic on the van ,I have already removed the trans cooling from the coolant rad and replaced with a fan cooled remote,I removed the up front trans cooler and also remoted the ps cooler .All this to cut down on the restriction and heat going to the rad.The engine out of the van had marked on the valve cover 215HP the cover of the F350 had 250 HP.OK I am new to this game ,are you saying I need the pcm from the F350 to get the 250 HP?

Old 04-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Mike Norwood
Elder User

Yes, you will. IMO, you will not need the intercooler if you swap the turbos. However, if you do use the intercooler, let me know, I would like to get a hold of a van turbo.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:29 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Yep, Thats what he is saying.(on the PCM)

Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can swap the entire engine harness from the old blown engine onto the new engine, and then use it accordingly. Once you swap out the turbos (they are different), the wiring harness, and reuse the old compressor manifold that goes straight into the engine instead of to the intercooler, and you should be good!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:56 AM
diver dan
Freshman User
OK like i said I am new to this!!!!!including this computer stuff!!!!! I have a 2001 E350 super duty van Ambulance because I wanted the higher top .It lost a valve and the piston found it over and over and over.So coming from the old school ,you just go out and buy a gasket kit for a hundred or so (YA ! RIGHT) try 1000 and then you have the head work and then the block work!So I bought a 7.3 from a yard but it came out of a pickup.Like any one else I would like the extra HP for towing and the van valve cover had 215 HP marked on it and the F350 had 250HP marked on it. I made up a pro engine pulling adpt. with water jet cut that bolts inplace of the water pump ,5/8 plate w/the same bolt pattern as the water pump and then an additional support that pushed against the crank during lift ,to ease some of the strain on the pump face.This works fantastic.It levers the oil pan over the cross member just right.Having that motor out now I want to put the F350 intercooled motor in with a intercooler (or do I?) I am not real deep into the repair yet but I am getting a lot deeper by the day.Everything I own is diesel1.rabbit w/400pluss,F550 220 miles,2 Dodge tow pigs from the mil w/ cummins (1)w/18,000 miles (1) w/27,000 miles,E350 buss 250 pluss miles.F350 dump w/90,000 miles and last but not least a mil Ottawa spotter to move storage boxes w/detroit. Back to my learning!!!!!are these motors the same????do you have to use the F350 turbo and the intercooler to get the 250 HP instead of the original 215 HP that was in the van? I believe the turbo on the F350 is bigger than the one that came off the van .I have a couple of van turbos ,the F350 turbo takes a different down pipe configeration which I have just purchased an additional down pipe because the 4" kit I ordered in from diamond came in with the van turbo mount for the down pipe.O K I believe in preventive meds so if putting a intercooler on this motor makes it have higher HP and makes it run cooler than I will find a way to put one on ( I have a full fab shop) I just need some guidence here!!!! I don't like to push a engine past what it was designed to do with a quick fix chip!!!! I have gone to great lengths to help cool this motor when it goes in .I have removed the trans cooling from the rad.and put in a fan assist remote under the frame .I have removed the aux.trans cooler and just for good measure added a 30 " long alluminum fined cooler along with the remote cooler. I have also remoted the P/S cooler .All of this was done with the thought that I was going to put a intercooler in front of the AC and RAD and I wanted to keep the heat down.Now that being said ,what do I do ???? I want as much HP as the engine will dependably provide.The E350SD says it is 215 HP the F350 saysit is 250 HP what makes the difference????????If it is the intercooler than I will find a way to put one on!!! If it is the turbo than that will stay on the F350 motor instead of putting the one from the van back on.if it is a PCM (what ever the hell that stands for)that came off the F350 truck then I have a problem Cus I don't think I have that ! SO if I put the turbo from the van ,& put the wiring harness from the van ,& the Y intake from the van on this motor do I end up with 250HP??????

Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 AM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
No, the computer from the F350 (PCM), will produce your 250HP. The intercooler will not aid in your quest for the 250hp.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:08 AM
diver dan
Freshman User
I have several van turbos all off 2001 &2002 vans for the guy that was looking for one ,BUT why would a guy with a pickup want a turbo from a van???

Old 04-22-2008, 08:12 AM
diver dan
Freshman User
Ok do I want to purchase a ford PCM or do I want to do something like one of these superchips? would it still be a good idea to try and put the intercooler on?If I go to a yard how do I know which PCM is the right one?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:33 AM
diver dan
Freshman User
OK mike if you need a van turbo I have got some .

Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
the ideal situation would be to keep the truck turbo, intercool it, and get a PCM(powertrain control module) from the truck. The truck turbo and intercooler will run lower EGTs (exhaust gas temperatures) than the van turbo with the intercooler. It will also produce more boost.
That will give you the 250HP AT THE CRANKSHAFT. due to drivetrain losses you will only be at 195 to 200HP at the rear wheels.

The reason some truck guys(including me) want/ have a van turbo is because in an intercooled situation the van turbo along with larger injectors and/or custom tuning will produce a higher amount of boost with safer drive pressures than the stock truck turbo.
Now, your next question of "why dont I want to run a van turbo on a truck engine with the intercooler in the van?" is because the van turbo with stock tuning and stock injectors and an intercooler will produce boost at a higher RPM than the truck turbo, thus raising you EGTs to a possibly unsafe level. (read: lose lowend torque).
I have a van turbo on my truck, and have had to get my PCM custom tuned to add more fuel to the lowend to help spool the van turbo quicker creating boost at a lower RPM.
Whatever you do you need to add a set of guages (EGT, Boost, and tranny temp) so you will know that the engine is safely making power.

You might want to cantact Jody at DP tuner, and talk to him about having the PCM from the van reflashed, and then have him adding a F-5 chip to the van for the new truck engine. He does the custom tuning that you will need at reasonable prices(about the same as buying a superchips)

Old 04-22-2008, 12:41 PM
diver dan
Freshman User
THANKS BRANDON!!!!!!Not to be a pest but if I get the truck PCM and intercool this in a van I should have a better than av running van.I also have purchased a 4" system from diamond for this van.Hey ever see anyone intercool a 99.5-2003 van??????I am trying to figure what size shoehorn I would need!There are not to many people with vans that want to have them perform right so it is real hard to find any info.like where do I get a tripple pod for the post for a van?: they have lots of them for a pickup but I have not seen any for a van. A van just works out better for what I do than a pickup does. I guess I want too much because I want dependability and HP in a van for towing.With a step bumper on the van I have to build a hitch if I want to really haul any weight ,which I do way to often.I had a 97 van that had the front tire problems but it was a fantastic van.7.3 w/355 rear and I have more than once had 20,000 on the back of it . I have already bought the 355 gears for this van that I am putting the F350 motor in .If the 97 did what I wanted then this 2001 w/4 wheel disc should with the F350 intercooled motor do even better .I got exceptional milage w/ the 355 gears instead of the 410's and I still had enough power for what I needed to do unless I got real stupid with the weight. So plans for the van are: Put the F350 motor in w/ intercooler w/4" system and fab up a cool air intake (because I can't find one for a van)Put in the 355 gears remote all the excess coolers,so that I only have the intercooler ,A/C, and coolant rad in the main airflow. I have a supplier of allison trans kits and that would be next.all I have to do for that is do a body lift kit to fit the allison in.Then I get rid of the ford trans that everyone tries to beef up,that last for a while but not like a allison w/ the gearing I can get with that. Once again thanks Brandon for making things clear!
Any sugestions on the build of the van. Take into consideration the 97 that I just wrecked had stock motor and trans and 355 gears /towed constantly heavy loads and when it totalled it had 540,000 miles and the trans was never touched not even drained.the engine still had great power.I serviced that truck every 3000 miles on the button.I had fantastic top end speed for out west driving.great economy .and enough power for what I needed to do .Now I am trying to make something better,starting with the disc brakes ,because that was a problem with the 97 with a load.Because of that I have already installed a HYDRO boost brake on this van.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
diver dan
Freshman User
NOW YOU WENT AND DID IT!!!! You made me more dangerous!!!!!do I loose mpg by going to the 40/50/75/100 injectors ?This F350 intercooled motor is out of the truck and if anyone out there has ever tried to change injectors in a van then you understand why I want to know all I can before I put this motor back in that small hole.They sell performance injector rebuild kits which are half the price of new ones ,but do I need anything more than I am doing to this truck already????From 215HP < 250HP 4" exhaust/cooler intake/remote coolers for eveything including a derale direct tube cooled trans pan.on paper I should be gaining 35 HP just by putting the complete intercooled motor and PCM in the van, not counting the exhaust and intake mods.along with trying to plan ahead and make the van run cooler /and trans cooler.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
indebt
Posting Guru
WOW.....I dont have anything to except take lots of pictures and shows us your progress and final result! Sounds like a fun project. (GET a DP tuner and you'll have plenty of power for what your doing) good luck!

Quick Reply: 7.3 van motor swap w/larger 7.3 intercooled motor