Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So what you are telling me is that you don't need the waste gate to operate
That is correct.

what really does the waste gate do
The wastegate is a bypass valve. It vents drive pressure to the exhaust before it reaches the turbo. It is there in an attempt to protect the turbo, but a stock Powerstroke is not capable of producing enough drive pressure to hurt the turbo. So you don't need the wastegate operating. It is detrimental to engine performance.

so why does ford go to all the trouble and cost to put on the intercooler when they go to the higher HP programing?
They didn't in the vans....ever. That's why your van has a bigger, better turbo than the F-series. You might as well take advantage of your superior factory parts.

And are the injectors different in the F350IC motor than the ones in the van?
Depends on the year, but all 99.5-03 Powerstrokes use the same injectors. ALL of the power differences come from the computer programming. If you mount the 250HP motor in your 215HP van the engine will make 215HP. It will be no more or less reliable than it ever was.

Is the setup with the van turbo going to be as dependable in the long run doing heavy hauling as it would be with the complete F350 IC system installed?OR am I going to be confronted with higher EGT's that I will constantly have to worry about?
The van turbo will be more dependable. It is less susceptible to pressure spikes, spins slower, and heats the air charge less. If EGT's are an issue with the van turbo, they will be no less of an issue with the intercooler and truck turbo. Ultimately you would want the van turbo and the intercooler for extreme heavy towing, but if I had to pick one over the other, I'd take the turbo.

I may be wrong but I would think Ford put the IC on to make the motors more dependable .SO somebody try and explain all this real simple so old school can grasp it.
I'd say that is reasonably accurate....but you are not taking into account the fact that Ford's engineers found no realistic way to mount an intercooler in the van chassis, so in lieu of that they gave the vans a larger turbo to make up the difference. All I am suggesting is that you take the vastly easier approach and follow Fords lead and use the bigger turbo that they gave you. The 35 HP difference between your stock programming and the F-trucks stock programming is negligible. The stock van turbo will handle it without issue.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:18 AM
diver dan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COOKIE88 -----THANK YOU!!!!!
YOU made things understandable!
It may sound crazy but I will have the IC delivered soon and I would like to give it a try as far as a installation ,but I will keep the van turbo and when I am done I plan to send the PCM out to DP TUNER for the towing and economy programing.
Hey I am not saying I can do what Ford cannot ,it is just that they allways have limitations on what they are allowed to do as far as the IC. So my way of thinking is if I can find a way to install the IC I would have the best of both worlds .A van turbo and a IC .And if I put the IC on then from what you have said I will not need the aih hooked up and I won't have a waste gate to hook up.
ONE more question -what is the total funtion of the AIH.if you are trying to cool the intake air down ,why would you ever want a heating element in the intake?
THANKS FOR THE HELP !!!!
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE!!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:26 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the AIH is just to heat the air when idling in cold weather to eleminate smoke
some have eleminated the AIH and installed a plug or a tap for boost guage

Old 05-02-2008, 12:18 PM
diver dan
Freshman User
I am in PA. and it gets cold here so I will have to think about wiring in the AIH.
THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:05 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by diver dan
I am in PA. and it gets cold here so I will have to think about wiring in the AIH.
THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!!!!

Don't bother. The Intake heater element blocks about 25% of the area in the manifold....and really only saves you about 5 minutes from a "cab warmth" standpoint. It is a total waste of your time to install it.

Good luck with the intercooler install. Take lots of pictures....I'd love to see the results.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:51 PM
diver dan
Freshman User
To date E 350SD van project Start with a 2001E350 SD van ambulance with a blown motor.Strip out ambulance interior and all the extra stuff not needed to haul stiffs.Install E450 hydroboost brake unit,install extreem amounts of insullation around engine tunnel and fire wall,install remote fan cooled trans cooler rated for 22,000 lbs.,install deep durale trans pan with tube direct cooling ,install remote P/S cooling alluminum cooler,remove trans cooling from coolant radiator,install amp guage shunt under front battery for true amp guage readings,rebuild oil cooler heat exchanger & add cooling fins from JCW add on oil filter coolers that just attach with hose clamps.Manufacture out of nylatron heavy duty wide 2" body lift pucks that have recess for the radias on the top of the original body mounts for additional stability with the 2" rise instead of the aftermarket lightweight small diameter pucks.
Yet to install
1.motor
2.van turbo
3.4" diamond exhaust
last but not least a IC (if in any way possable)
DP TUNNING
cold air intake ( home brew cuz noone makes on for a van)

Old 05-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Mike Norwood
Elder User

Looks like you are good to go, Dan. Glad you were able to get everything figured out.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:35 PM
diver dan
Freshman User
HI guys I'm back with more questions.
1.The AIH in the intake manifold can that be eliminated & if so what do you do with its supply wire ?can you just tape it off or does it talk to the computer.I figure I will hook up the ground from the head to the other threaded hole.
2. There is another sensor in the intake of the F350 IC it goes into one of the IC feeds on the intake manifold ,it protrudes about 1/2" into the manifold and has a small lever in a plastic housing.What is the thing and what does it do ,is it needed ?
3. If you were to install a boost guage as one mentioned would you install it in the AIH hole or this other hole that this other sensor is in? Is a boost guage a good idea or just more clutter?Or could I just plug both holes? The van harness has a plug for the AIH but not for this other sensor.If the AIH is really just more B/S and really isn't needed I am all for the KISS system ,plug everything that is not needed as long a the computer won't get lonely not hearing from one of these sensors,and go on strike.
Thanks

Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
1.The AIH in the intake manifold can that be eliminated & if so what do you do with its supply wire ?can you just tape it off or does it talk to the computer.I figure I will hook up the ground from the head to the other threaded hole.
If you follow the feed wire back to the relay you can completely remove it. You can remove the ground wire too. You either plug the hole or use it as a tap for a boost fitting. Your choice.

2. There is another sensor in the intake of the F350 IC it goes into one of the IC feeds on the intake manifold ,it protrudes about 1/2" into the manifold and has a small lever in a plastic housing.What is the thing and what does it do ,is it needed
Are you talking about the one smack in the middle of the five way manifold?

The E-series doesn't use a MAT sensor. You can remove and cap that off as well, as long as you are using the E-series computer.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:00 PM
diver dan
Freshman User
Thank You AGAIN!!!!
Yes It was a mat sensor.
All I need now is for the IC to show up and then we will see how much fun I can have!
Just for the guys that have not tried it yet the Van turbo is a direct bolt on exchange as far as the mounting ,but the exhaust flanges are different between the F350 & the E350.but the Y cast pipe and the base mounting all interchange.
Thanks Again Cookie88

Old 05-22-2008, 11:32 PM
diver dan
Freshman User
OK Cookie88 I am going to try and add some pictures of some of the detail I have gone through with this van .I bought some body lift pucks and they were not the greatest things I have ever seen ! They did not encompass the body mount and were much smaller than the mount its self ,so I made some out of nylatron which is the same material that the others were made of, but instead of just sitting on top of the body mount I made them with a radius so that the bottom of the puck matched the top of the body mount,much much more secure and solid .
The other thing I have a question for you, With an I/C you are worried about air restriction right ? so you want to have the air going to and from the I/C as unrestricted as possable ,So I took a few hours and completely ground and polished the runners in the Intake manifold.In a gas motor you want it a little rough for atomization of fuel and air ,instead of polished,but as long as we are just moving air and we want as much as possable with in reason I thought that if I took the time to polish the runners in the intake ,it couldn't hurt. Everyone is going out and buying aftermarket air cleaners to get more air flow but I wonder how many guys ever looked in the intake manifold and saw how much restriction there is.If there is a reason why I shouldn't have polished it tell me now other wise I thought it was a good idea.
The guy I bought the I/C from in CANADA sold the same cooler to a couple of people and never shipped it so that slowed up the poject for over a month before I realized I had been taken !!!! So I bought a 6.0 I/C this time and I put in the 2" body blocks and they went in like a charm nice and secure .Hopefully this will give me enough room for the I/C pipes.Hopefully tomorrow I can get some pictures on when I figure out how.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Mike Norwood
Elder User

Keep it up! Anxiously awaiting pics.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:31 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Sounds good Dan. Be sure to get a shot of that polished intake.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:21 PM
diver dan
Freshman User
Hey guy here is a link to a webshots public folder labeled E350 Ford parts which has the pics for the intake manifold and body mounts. Let me know if you have any problem accessing the pics.

posiden01's photos and albums on webshots

Old 05-23-2008, 09:50 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Wow, that intake looks really clean.. What did you use to do that?

I'm curious to what effect this might have also.

Quick Reply: 7.3 van motor swap w/larger 7.3 intercooled motor