Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons of Propane

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:44 PM
earthpig#1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pros and Cons of Propane

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Hey I'm the new guy here and thought I'd start a thread on a subject that I could use some opinions on. What are the pros and cons of running propane ? Has your mileage increased?. What kind of motor are you running and are you glad you switched. I have a few rigs I'm thinking on changing over and would like to get first hand stories. Thanks, JD....
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 04-19-2008, 10:47 PM
countryboy116
Elder User
i personally dont know much, go check out the alternative fuel section (i think thats what its called) of the forum some knowledgeable guys up there if you talk to the right person

Old 04-19-2008, 10:55 PM
littleme13
Posting Guru
welcome and yes there are some very smart guys runnin around here. a few things i know about propane i learned a few years ago when i thought about makin the switch. in offroading its a good thing for those off camber moments that a carb just wont do it. you really dont have to be a computer wiz to setup like you do with a lot of efi systems. im pretty sure and someone will correct me if im wrong but, i think the only real big setback is if your not running high compression you have to run forced induction. thats all i can think of right now.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:02 PM
earthpig#1
New User
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I found a site that sells off road kits and it's pretty cool. Here's a link. Propane Conversion Kits They say you can advance your timing a lot due to the high octane.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 04-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
timing advance ment is correct... actually i think you need to for your rig to run right. Propane is equal to 100-110 octane i beilve. I also suggest the alt fuels board. I havent visited but im sure there are some smart people there.

Pro's: Propane is cheaper than gasoline, while not by a whole lot its enough to make a difference, like previously stated, off camber propane wont choke out on you, if propane leeks, it wont seep into the ground it will dispate into the air.

Con's: Inspection, if you have to have your rig inspected you must have a dot approved stoarge devise for propane, can be a real pain.
Also propane stations arent as common as gas stations so you must think ahead and be sure you have enough gas... if not, then you must research to see if there are filling stations in route. Most propane places will charge you in full to fill a cylinder even if it isnt completely empty, to get the most for your money you would have to have a miniumum of 2 cylinders so you could run one empty and have a back up to get you to the refill station.

Thats just what i have learned in my searches...
I've been considering it for awhile not, just started research on it...
I want a turbo 408w that runs on propane... I havent found out what power adders like s/c and turbo's will do in conjuction with propane... Would like to find out... Sorry i cant help you on the personal level as i havent done any conversions... yet...

good luck to you and welcome.

also if you dont mind... Post up what info you have... as there are atleast 2 of us i know that are considering the propane swap.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:51 AM
earthpig#1
New User
Thanks Don, Some of the things I have found are.
1- It gives a low stall speed.
2- Wont spill in a roll over.
3- Works like fuel injection but much cheaper.
4- Can be turbo charged with big gains in power.
5- Is only suggested on carb engines.
6- has a higher octane level than gas.
7- Can be set up to run on gas and propane with a switch with some power loss. These are just things I have found asking around. Would like to know more if anyone has some experience. Thanks, JD...

Old 04-20-2008, 07:53 AM
bad96
Senior User
i dont know to much about it, but when we run it in the man-lift it some times freeze up the valves in the mornin when it gets down to about 40* at night
its a real PITA

Old 04-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the whole natural gas companies fleet runs on it around here.....

Old 04-20-2008, 02:20 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
I think fishy runs it in his EB...

Old 04-20-2008, 09:26 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
the whole natural gas companies fleet runs on it around here.....
Maybe because its free to them because they can charge it to the public?

Old 04-20-2008, 09:54 PM
2kcrewcab
Senior User
No wonder my propane bill this winter was 3 grand! haha

Old 04-21-2008, 11:36 AM
krol
Senior User
I run it on my 1992 460 EFI. I run dual fuel. Problems I have run into are that the truck starts hard on propane in the mornings so I usually start it on gas and then switch over. I get almost 12 mpg on gas and I get just over 10 mpg on propane but propane is considerably cheaper here than gas (over half). I can feel a slight loss in power with propane but I have not had any problems towing or hauling wood, etc. Engines built specifically for propane can put out great power because of the higher octane. It works great for me even with EFI and the carb'd versions are even more simple.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:41 AM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
don't know if I missed it, but not to mention how simple it is. With a propane system, you can have the reliability of fuelinjection (once its running), and the simplicity of a carb.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:40 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
so would you fill at the same place you go to get a propane grill tank filled? is that the same thing?

Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM
dragogt
Posting Guru
Yep.........

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of Propane