Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me truck with new to me problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:04 PM
idahofordguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me truck with new to me problem

I just brought home my new to me 93 F150 5.0. On the way home (50 miles) it started running rough or shaking. It would only happen when I would let off the throttle and then give it a little throttle, like when a I would come up on a slow car. Giving it more throttle would make it clear up until the next time.

Before the trip home i filled it with 85 octane gas, I don't know if that might have anything to do with it.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 PM
ElwoodMurphy
Senior User
Welcome idahofordguy, I've never heard of that problem before but if anything it might be the fuel. Take it to one of the parts stores that will run the codes for you and that will take the guess work out of it.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:57 PM
brisk_truck
New User
Might be a low idle caused by a dirty IAC (idle air control). Pretty easy to pull its right on the throttle body. Take it off and clean it out. It's held on by two screws. While you are at it you may wanna get a new gasket for it, what was causing rough idle and stalling on mine was a combination of bad gasket and dirty IAC.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:25 AM
icrman
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It could be such things as O2 sensor, and Throttle Position Sensor, airflow sensor. Need to check for codes. Make sure airfilter is clean, all vac hoses good.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:09 AM
phatpharm85
Elder User
sounds like a confused throttle position sensor, maybe a dead spot in it. if it runs perfectly fine at any other position including idle. it might not be pickin up that slight increase.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:03 PM
lmd91343
Senior User
I second brisk_truck's suggestion.

When you release the throttle, the throttle body valve closes and the IAC opens. The engine, at that time, gets it air thru the IAC. They get dirty all the time.

Pull the codes. There are many threads here that describe how to do it without a code reader. You could also have an auto parts store read the codes or buy a code reader for less than $50.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:50 PM
str8racing
Senior User
on my 95 f150 5.0 while changing dist. cap, rotor, and wires after changing ran awful. According to my haynes manual my plug wires were on wrong, put them back on, ran worse.Book says 95 up to install one way and 94 down another. Had to put back as was man. in 94, confusing? Also showed engine light had bad reading on tps. Found wires pulled apart when changing plug wires, now runs good, was easy to change.Note: check door for date of man.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:03 PM
natewill
Senior User
Never hurts to change the fuel filter. Check fuel pressure at the fuel rail valve, etc. I got a bad batch of gas on the interstate, and the engine would miss every 5 minutes or so, but otherwise the engine ran fine. Freaked me out, but wouldn't hurt to put some Seafoam or whatever in the gas tank once. Maybe some gas drier? Maybe you have some water in your tank.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:23 AM
dan01247
Freshman User
Not to get off on a drift here - but 85 octane? The lowest I can get in the northeast is 87. I don't think I've ever even seen 85.... When I first read this post, I thought the writer meant that they filled up with E85, and that was the problem....

WOW! 85 huh? Live and learn... Now back to your regularly scheduled thoughts....

Old 04-20-2008, 06:32 AM
alz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I know they carry 85 in the higher elevations. When I was in Colorado, I saw it there.

I third the vote for the IAC, clean it or at least check it. Or it may need a good tune up. Use Motorcraft Copper plugs, Motorcraft 8mm or better wires, and Motorcraft cap and rotor. These engines really do better to keep with the OEM stuff. Oh yeah, Motorcraft oil filters as well, stay away from Fram oil fiters.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:35 AM
alz
Fleet Mechanic
One more thing on these 5.0s, make sure to keep the plug wires seperated at leeast an inch or cross at 90 degree angles. They have a crossfire problem on 7&8 and 5&3, I believe.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:46 PM
idahofordguy
New User
Thanks for all the replies guys, I will take a look at the IAC in a couple days when the snow and wind is gone. I always like to do a tune up after buying any vehicle, I will get all motorcraft stuff. I will also try to pull any codes if there are any. The check engine light does not come on so I am not sure if there will be anything.

I have been running Mobile 1 in all my cars for a few years now and like it, would you guys switch a 5.0 to Mobile 1 with 103,000 miles on it? It has one small leak at the rear between the tranny and the engine but that is it.

As far as 85 octane gas all over the intermountain west we have it. The oil companies say carburated vehicles run fine with since the elevation is high. Only problem is how many people still run carburated vehicles? I have been running 85 in all my vehicles like most people around here without any problems.

For 2 years I lived in western Oregon and was shocked to find that 87 was what they call regular. I grew up in Colorado so I am used to 85.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:52 PM
alz
Fleet Mechanic
Mobil 1 should be fine. That leak at the rear is probably the oil pan gasket. Or maybe the valve cover gasket leaking down the back of the block. These oil pans are notorious for rusting out, so keep an eye on that leak.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:09 PM
idahofordguy
New User
After taking her for a long trip today I discovered that she does not hardly warm up and she is only getting 11MPG. Maybe that is normal but I think 11MPG is too low.

It is supposed to be dry and warm tomorrow so I will see if there are any codes.

I will look at the IAC, coolant temp sensor, and thermostat. I think it is running rich trying to warm up.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:22 AM
e1p1
Fleet Mechanic
Good advice above and you should check your cooling, but I thought I'd add another thought here.

If you have access to a pressure gauge for fuel injection, it's an easy check to rule out the fuel pressure regulator. There's a schrader valve on the fuel rail, preassure when running should be around 35 pounds. Also pull the vacuum line on the FPR, if it's wet it's definitely bad. (Dry does not mean automatically good).

Quick Reply: New to me truck with new to me problem