2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cowling wont stay down.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I bet one of those nail guns that carpenters use will hold that sucker down after a few shots!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:45 AM
rods07supcrw
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cowl plastic poppin up

Guys,
My 07 Lariat is doing the same thing, damn the shame of it all....this, other than fuel economy is all I can complain of...I only have about 10k on mine now but everything I have started out to do it has done flawlessly....I hauled pea gravel,motorcycles,plants on a trailer mind you but my truck is exactly what I wanted and does exactly what it was built to do......another oblivious customer....If I don't know it dont matter......

Old 04-30-2008, 04:36 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Just an update #8 screw is doing the job, Hasn't moved at all. I wasn't using a #8 screw like was recommended in the post above said to use 1/2 #8, so I got one and walla! Thanks for the easy fix because my dealer said "it be a day" before I get my truck back. Highly recommend to anyone who is having this problem, alot of the trucks sitting on the sales lot have the driver side cowlings up (was there a few days ago and walked the lot) Salesmen wont point this out and hope "YOU" dont notice either! Like Me! I didn't notice, didn't think I needed to, but now if I did it again (buy new truck) I'm take my time and look it over REAL good. So new buyers beware make'em fix it before you drive away, if you dont, then use the screw-- it works.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had noticed this popped cowl, but snapped it back down. Well it popped back up, but I figured that it was just my truck. One #8 stainless screw coming up!!!!! If this is the worst problem that I have with this truck, I'll be one happy puppy! Keep the ideas rollin' in, this site makes good reading!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:43 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
This is the only prob I've had with my '05, drivers side too. They must have hired a retard to put this piece on all of these trucks to have the same prob. But I worry about running a screw down thru there. This is where the rust will start after the screw chips the paint going thru, or are you just screwing it to the pass side cowling thru the plastic?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:44 AM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Whoops, Double post, better one below!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:52 AM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
I went out today, and looked at the misaligned plastic, and decided to take another look at the problem. I could see that there are three "hooks" for lack of a better word, on the center of the driver's side piece. I removed the piece, and replaced it, jamming it together, but no better, I still couldn't get it to "hook". I noticed that the pieces are kept from joining in the front, because they are hitting together at the back edge, next to the windshield. I removed the driver's side again, and carefully trimmed a bit off of the rear inch and a half. You can't trim the other piece, it has a stiffening flange, and even the driver's side has the hook, so you can't remove much in the hook area at all. I then replaced the piece, and it stayed in place! So far, after driving, and sitting in the sun, no movement. I'll report back if it fails again. I figured it was worth the try to avoid the aggravation, but.... if it fails again, it will be Mr. Ford's problem at my next oil change, Monday next week! My opinion is that it is just a case of poor manufacturing of this piece. As a union millwright, I worked in a couple of different manufacturing plants, where the help already knew that the transmissions that they were installing in a brand new model, would fail, and have to be recalled, but they were released. I personally helped an engineer trouble-shoot a problem with door fitting, and they too, were being released with doors that knocked the paint off the corners...... These were at different times!. "Just let it go, we'll fix it later"..... Unfortunately, we as customers notice these things, and I don't know about you, but I don't forget when I get shorted. I can accept a mistake, but it takes a lot longer to get over a shafting. Oh well, I present my attempt at a fix, and an opinion, and we all know about opinions, "Everybody's got one!" LOL

Old 05-02-2008, 03:37 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 05-02-2008, 05:50 AM
ISUPhiPsi1052
Junior User
I did the "screw thing" a couple of weeks ago. No problems since!!! Such a simple fix. Thanks to the folks here for the idea. It was driving me mad...

Old 05-02-2008, 05:36 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Day Two, and still in place. I guess they're not going to tell you they have a TSB out on it unless you complain, are they? Good Post BlueOvalFitter !

Old 05-02-2008, 05:46 PM
barecove
Elder User
truck is going into the shop next week to get the bubbling paint on the rear quarter taken care of...(they are replacing the quarter panel at no cost to me)... I will have to inquire about the TSB on this problem..... I was going to hit it with the hot glue gun..

Old 05-02-2008, 06:35 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
I snapped mine back in about a month ago, and it hasn't popped out since.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Rusty Bumper
Junior User
If I didn't read this forum, then I probably would have never noticed that the drivers side cowling trim piece unlatches sometimes and pops up a quarter of an inch or so. I drilled a couple of holes and secured them with a cable tie. They're drawn together tight and flush and the cable doesn't show at all with the hood closed. Thanks, FTE!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:12 PM
barecove
Elder User
now there's a different fix.....

Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 PM
MisterDave2
Elder User
I have the same thing, I haven't bothered with it yet. My truck is about a month old, I will let them fix it next time I go to dealer.

Quick Reply: Windshield cowling wont stay down.......