Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cowling wont stay down.......

Old 04-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Ryan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to behold
No...as mentioned there was a tsb and the dealer should replace the cowling....mine was done and its good as new

Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 PM
f-150 on 22's
Senior User
f-150 on 22's is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do you still need to be Under warranty

Old 04-18-2008, 04:46 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Posting Guru
BlueOvalFitter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl View Post
No...as mentioned there was a tsb and the dealer should replace the cowling....mine was done and its good as new
Yep,thats what I had done to mine! Why would you want to African engineer something on a $15k or more vehicle?

Old 04-18-2008, 05:24 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
black04lariat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter View Post
Yep,thats what I had done to mine! Why would you want to African engineer something on a $15k or more vehicle?
I certainly wouldn't pay Ford to fix the problem. If under warranty thats one thing, but I was out of warranty when I noticed it. It still wouldn't even be near worth my time and effort to have them fix it. The less than 1 minute it took to screw it down and you cant even tell unless you are looking for it, makes it a no brainer...but to each their own.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:49 PM
danmansjimmy
Senior User
danmansjimmy is starting off with a positive reputation.
yeah i worked at a ford dealer and changed many cowls, seems nmany werent properly set in at factory and pop out most that i changed would have been fine if put back in proper but was warranty so we changed them out

Old 04-19-2008, 09:34 AM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
F0rdzTuff is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll have to see if mine pops up again. It looks like it wasn't mounted correctly, was my problem. When I pulled it up, and then put it back down, it literally "snapped" into place when I pushed it back flush with the windshield.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:24 AM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
SteelHorse08 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Think I'll do it myself.......

Hi, Yep, the glueing down seemed to work.... NOPE it came loose, well you know the 1/4 inch pop up that the driver side piece does...oh well-- I think I'll do this screw thing to secure the cowling is it a hundred 100% effective meaning it's holding up so far no issues since the screw was drilled in? Also how far do you take the screw in? Halfway, or all the way down to plastic's, I just dont want to cracked the plastic by going to deep. Thanks for all help, also it is such a minor thing that I like the screw thing plus it's not noticeable, and want to go there and complain about minor thing that I can do to fix. What size screw and just any crew will work? I have hundreds of screws and just want to make right sized used.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:43 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
osbornk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.osbornk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I put a drop of urathane adhesive between mine and the windshield three and a half years ago and have had no problem whatsoever with it since then.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:50 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
F0rdzTuff is starting off with a positive reputation.
After "snapping" mine back into place, it stayed put through a trip into the mountains today...Pretty bouncy one, too.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:57 AM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Screw seems to work, noticeda bad clearance with hood to cowl though......

I put a screw in and well it seems ok we will see, I went to deep and screw came through bottom plastic thing no biggie I guess as you can't see it unless you kneel down to look up under the weather stripping, while messing with this cowl I noticed that it's not good fit around the hood when it's shut seems I have more room from hood to cowl on the drivers side then I do on passenger side, any body's like this? Can someone post pic's of the entire cowl on there's? Thanks

Old 04-20-2008, 07:03 AM
yellowboy
Senior User
yellowboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
My local lazy a__ Ford dealer just ordered a new piece and it popped up before I got home. This is what drives up the cost of a new vehicle _ "I'll just replace the piece - it won't cost me anything" attitude of dealers. I took it to another dealer who fixed it by moving the passinger side piece over.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:57 AM
mjkurent
New User
mjkurent is starting off with a positive reputation.
My new '07 had the same issue. I took it back to the dealer, and they replaced it under warranty. Haven't had any issue since they replaced it.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
black04lariat
Elder User
Originally Posted by SteelHorse08 View Post
I put a screw in and well it seems ok we will see, I went to deep and screw came through bottom plastic thing no biggie I guess as you can't see it unless you kneel down to look up under the weather stripping, while messing with this cowl I noticed that it's not good fit around the hood when it's shut seems I have more room from hood to cowl on the drivers side then I do on passenger side, any body's like this? Can someone post pic's of the entire cowl on there's? Thanks
I have one more in my gallery if interested.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:22 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Well screw didn't hold at all cowl popped up, noticed on the way home from work so...scratches head......I put it like in the picture and well the screw went in straight down. Should it had been put in on angle, instead of straight down? I followed the picture as far as where but I think I went down more then in. Should I pull the screw and try to angle it? Or should I put the screw right in the middle of both pieces in the gap? Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 04:44 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
Originally Posted by SteelHorse08 View Post
Well screw didn't hold at all cowl popped up, noticed on the way home from work so...scratches head......I put it like in the picture and well the screw went in straight down. Should it had been put in on angle, instead of straight down? I followed the picture as far as where but I think I went down more then in. Should I pull the screw and try to angle it? Or should I put the screw right in the middle of both pieces in the gap? Thanks
Did you screw through the cowling and into the plastic below? Maybe a longer screw. The screw I used you can see the tip of the screw coming out the bottom of the plastic that you are screwing the cowling too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield cowling wont stay down.......

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.