Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could crusie control be added to a truck that never had it?

Old 04-17-2008, 06:28 AM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could crusie control be added to a truck that never had it?

I'm talking about the 96' F350 in my thread?

If it could, what parts would I need to pull from a donor?

There are a couple yards near me, so I think with some hunting I could get it done, IF its possible.

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 AM
vasten
Senior User
sure it can be done, anything can be done.

If you want to go stock then you would need the steering wheel the throttle connectors etc. etc etc.

or you could go to JCwhitney and buy and complete aftermarket kit and have everything plus tech support from the supplier.
AUDIOVOX ELECTRONIC DASH-MOUNT CRUISE CONTROL - JCWhitney Auto Parts

If it were me I would go aftermarket.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 AM
icrman
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You will need too much stuff to go with factory cruise. But I think you can get them as a kit. Not sure about the steering wheel etc. The audiovox is around 100 bucks all the rest are 300 plus. I have the audiovox in a metro it works just fine. And its real simple, a switch assembly, the wires, and the servo which has the electronics in it, and the cable. And real easy to install. Good value for the cost.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 AM
vasten
Senior User
to clarify the reason I said the steering wheel is the controls are integrated into it.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 PM
donnor
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruising along... go factory!

Your 96 should require only a horn pad change and the installation of the servo assembly that attaches to the top of the left front fender-just outboard of the brake booster/master cylinder assembly.

The wiring should already be there with a jumper plug which will need to be unplugged from the connector that is part of the underhood wiring harness. Plug the servo assembly into the harness and attach it to the holes that are already in the inner flange/lip of the fender. Carefully route the actuator cable over to the bracket attached to the top of the upper intake where the throttle cable is already attached. There is a second hole/slot into which the cruise cable outer sleeve can be fitted, but only after the end is attched over the end of the throttle linkage.

Your original horn pad can be popped off of the steering wheel; revealing the horn wiring that can now be disconnected. Install your new cruise-capable horn pad by first connecting the wires to the connectors on the steering wheel. Then snap the pad into place & go for a cruise!

Shop around at your local yards & you should be able to get the needed parts for under $100. Hopefully, the dismantlers at those yards refrain from the indiscriminate use of those nasty sidecutters & bolt cutters! Should you come across some of this carnage, you may want to snag the bracket that the servo attaches to and use it with a servo from any of several other FMC models - car or truck - since many (if not all) share the same length cable.

Also of note is that servos from 1994+ F150 & Bronco airbag equipped vehicles are interchangeable with those from non-airbag trucks. All 1992+ non-airbag trucks are candidates as donors for this project. However, the 1992 models still used the earlier style servo.

dn.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:45 AM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Thanks all! This definitely sounds like a do-able project.

Looks like I need to go hunting for some parts, and if I have no luck will look into the aftermarket.

One question I have is will anything affect the drivers side airbag on my F350? Need I worry about the bag going off while I work on the wheel?

Donnor, since your rig is close to mine in year, would you be willing to shoot a pic to where and what I'm looking for to pull?

I have a manual, but custom pics are always better.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2008, 01:26 PM
icrman
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you have all the switches they would work with the audiovox unit. You shouldn't need to drill any holes for it either, just find a good existing bolt or hole to mount it with. Good luck either way you go.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:26 PM
jaleus
Senior User
Originally Posted by donnor
Your 96 should require only a horn pad change and the installation of the servo assembly that attaches to the top of the left front fender-just outboard of the brake booster/master cylinder assembly.

The wiring should already be there with a jumper plug which will need to be unplugged from the connector that is part of the underhood wiring harness. Plug the servo assembly into the harness and attach it to the holes that are already in the inner flange/lip of the fender. Carefully route the actuator cable over to the bracket attached to the top of the upper intake where the throttle cable is already attached. There is a second hole/slot into which the cruise cable outer sleeve can be fitted, but only after the end is attched over the end of the throttle linkage.

Your original horn pad can be popped off of the steering wheel; revealing the horn wiring that can now be disconnected. Install your new cruise-capable horn pad by first connecting the wires to the connectors on the steering wheel. Then snap the pad into place & go for a cruise!

Shop around at your local yards & you should be able to get the needed parts for under $100. Hopefully, the dismantlers at those yards refrain from the indiscriminate use of those nasty sidecutters & bolt cutters! Should you come across some of this carnage, you may want to snag the bracket that the servo attaches to and use it with a servo from any of several other FMC models - car or truck - since many (if not all) share the same length cable.

Also of note is that servos from 1994+ F150 & Bronco airbag equipped vehicles are interchangeable with those from non-airbag trucks. All 1992+ non-airbag trucks are candidates as donors for this project. However, the 1992 models still used the earlier style servo.

dn.

Bringing up an old thread because it's all I have found that gives me clues about REMOVING the cruise control. Connor speaks of a "jumper" plug in the plug into the servo. Is that truly jumping leads in the harness that need continuity in the absence of the servo?

Removing because it's in a 5 speed truck and will never get used. It's a 1997 project f350 crew that seems to have had a series of previous owners that did not do it any favors, CC is in-op and missing pieces otherwise.

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:20 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Originally Posted by jaleus
Bringing up an old thread because it's all I have found that gives me clues about REMOVING the cruise control. Connor speaks of a "jumper" plug in the plug into the servo. Is that truly jumping leads in the harness that need continuity in the absence of the servo?

Removing because it's in a 5 speed truck and will never get used. It's a 1997 project f350 crew that seems to have had a series of previous owners that did not do it any favors, CC is in-op and missing pieces otherwise.

Thanks for any help.
What are you having trouble with? Removing the servo? It's attached near the drivers side hood hinge with two bolts, and the cable just clips over the throttle cable (assuming it's a gas engine). Other than that you will probably want a non-cruise horn pad for the steering wheel, which you can get from Ebay for cheap.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:26 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Here's what the cruise control wiring looks in a factory non-cruise truck...

Stock 1995 XL cruise / speed control harness location.

Brake switch harness that needs to be jumpered on non-cruise trucks.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:58 PM
EllieMae94
Elder User
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jaleus

Thanks for any help.
No, the jumper plug is used in place for people who want cruise control but do not have the cruise control master cylinder. Yours won't have the "jumper" plug if it came equipped w/ cruise from the factory. Either way, it won't be needed if you want to disable the cruise.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:24 PM
eagle275
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vasten
sure it can be done, anything can be done.

If you want to go stock then you would need the steering wheel the throttle connectors etc. etc etc.

or you could go to JCwhitney and buy and complete aftermarket kit and have everything plus tech support from the supplier.
AUDIOVOX ELECTRONIC DASH-MOUNT CRUISE CONTROL - JCWhitney Auto Parts

If it were me I would go aftermarket.
That's what I did it's alot cheaper too plus you can get parts

Old 02-10-2019, 03:23 AM
jaleus
Senior User
Thanks all.

Search this Thread