Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bet ya can't fix a starting Problem No one has been able to figure it out yet!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:23 AM
jmjsfamily
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bet ya can't fix a starting Problem No one has been able to figure it out yet!

I have a 1995 F-150 ext cab, 5.0L 302 4x4. I shut it off 2 months ago and it has never started since. The truck sat since the end of 2003. I put gas and a battery in it and it started right up. It started 4 times after that. Then I shut if off and it hasn't started since.

I have went through and changed the oil and filter, inline fuel filter, cap, rotor, fuel pressure regulator and plugs and wires. There is spark going to the cap and to the plugs. I have checked/replaced the ICM (remotely mounted on drivers inner fender not on distributor), coil, magnetic pick up coil (stator) in distributor, swapped PCM/EEC with a different one and still no luck and also replaced timing chain and gears. I have also checked all the fuses and relays in the power box under the hood and in the truck to no avail.

I have checked the timing on it and it seems to be in correct time. I have 35 lbs. of pressure on the fuel rail at the shrader valve. I can hear the fuel pumps from both tanks when I switch them so I know the inertia switch is working. I have fresh gas in both tanks (10 gal & 5 gal.) IF I hold the gas pedal to the floor and let it roll over for an extended time it will start to fire like it is flooded or out of time. I have even sprayed ether into the throttle body and it wont fire or start even for a second or so doin that.

I am at a loss for words at this point. Everyone that has looked at it has been stumped so far. I have no way at this point to trailer/dolly to a shop anywhere.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
What is the compression on all cylinders?
what do the plugs look like after you crank the motor for a while? Wet? Dry?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:46 AM
stangbanger
Senior User
ignition module on the side of distributor?

-Randy

Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Animalistic
Elder User
My guess would be the ignition module. I can still remember the frustration my mechanic had tracking it down. Here is the link to my post. Take a look and see if it is something that can help. Good luck.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...l-not-run.html

Old 04-16-2008, 11:00 AM
jmjsfamily
New User
I haven't checked compression on cylinders. Some of the plugs are wet others are not. I dont have the ignition module on the side of the distributor. Mine is remotely located on the side of drivers side fender. I have swapped it out with a new one and still no luck. I also had the old one tested and it tests out good.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 AM
jmjsfamily
New User
The last time the truck did run it ran beautifully. There were no pings, ticks, knocks or any other noise to it at all. It did not smoke at all either. It seemed to have very good power with no hestitations to it.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:13 AM
stm250
Senior User
What about the NSS, ignition switch, actuator rod?? Have you checked any of that.
-Scot-

Old 04-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Animalistic
Elder User
I know you replaced the cap and rotor but you may want to take another look. Also, it is easy to misroute the wires. I am sure they have been checked before but just for peace of mind, tripple check them. Could be a short in the ignition circut so the coil is not putting out the proper voltage?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:41 AM
klxstiffler
Freshman User
make sure you didn't foul your plugs while you were cranking it while replacing all those parts. i have seen brand new plugs foul very quickly due to cranking it so much while testing other things.
do you have injector pulse??

Old 04-16-2008, 12:11 PM
jmjsfamily
New User
What is the best way to check for injector pulse? All else seems good at this point.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
injectors been changed or cleaned? We have been having some trouble with injectors lately on our work trucks.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:16 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you checked the fuel pressure? Hook a fuel pressure gauge to the Schrader valve on the injector rail and see what you get, and how long it will hold it when you stop cranking.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:54 PM
jmjsfamily
New User
Haven't cleaned or changed the injectors yet. I have 35 lbs. of pressure at the schrader valve. Haven't watched to see how long it will hold for. How long should it hold for. I have changed the fuel pressure regulator, though.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:01 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by stangbanger
ignition module on the side of distributor?

-Randy
I was thinking the same thing. My daughters honda has an ingition module problem and it did the same thing.

Tim

Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I read all the replies and clearly you addressed the ingintion module which was suggested a couple of times. A truck that don't run is no fun and basically useless. You can replace enough parts and still never know what the culprit was. I think at this point, I would be looking for a good Ford mechanic and a tow truck.

Have you checked any of the fuseable links? It's got to be something simple.

Tim

Quick Reply: Bet ya can't fix a starting Problem No one has been able to figure it out yet!