1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

4.6L MOD motor swap has begun

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:06 AM
billy12360
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a thought... but wont running just the manifolds mess up the valves or something? everyone said its fine with headers, but not so good with just the manifolds?[a couple of my valves where off a bit and im just running the headers]

Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 AM
billy12360
Elder User
sorry about the double post... this thing messes up every time i try to post on this thread... and this one only...

Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by billy12360
just a thought... but wont running just the manifolds mess up the valves or something? everyone said its fine with headers, but not so good with just the manifolds?[a couple of my valves where off a bit and im just running the headers]
I have heard that too, that it will burn valves up. We use to run engines in high school on engine stands in shop class with no pipes and those engines were fine. I am not driving the pickup and not running it very long and it is not cold out, it is the cold air rushing back into the engine that gets the valves.

Jeff

Old 07-07-2008, 02:23 PM
billy12360
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigblockford_390
I have heard that too, that it will burn valves up. We use to run engines in high school on engine stands in shop class with no pipes and those engines were fine. I am not driving the pickup and not running it very long and it is not cold out, it is the cold air rushing back into the engine that gets the valves.

Jeff
ohh alright, as long as you know what you are doing with it..

Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
My pieces showed up yesterday to make my power steering line on the pressure side. It is 6AN sized braided line with fittings from Areoquip. I put the line together tonight and installed it on the pickup. I also used 6AN line for the return side of my fuel system and 6AN sized line is a pain to work with getting the fittings on the ends. All in all I did win and the lines have been made. I mounted the power steering reservior and ran the lines so the steering system is now wrapped up. I still need to tie hoses up and clean up some routing especially on the fuel system but all of the pieces are now in place except the exhaust pipes. Now that the steering is hooked up I can take the pickup to the shop and they can drive it in to work on. With a little luck I can get it into a shop this week and maybe take a little test drive this weekend!

Piece by piece the puzzle is coming together!

Jeff

Old 07-10-2008, 06:52 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
I was able to get my pickup into the shop first thing this morning and get the exhaust installed. They re-used my Flow Master mufflers and put all new pipes on and ran them out the back and curved them out to the side behind the rear tires. When I did my exhaust on my 360 I did not have the talent to bend pipes above the axle so I dumped them out the side in front of the tires. They had to bend the pipe on the left hand side to get around my under bed fuel tank and weld in bungs for the oxygen sensors.

I still have a problem with cold engine idling but I believe the problem lies with the idle air control motor. Other wise the engine sounds great!

I should have listend to the folks on the 4.6 section of the forum who said change the valve stem seals while I had the engine out, I ignored them and installed the engine and have a little smoke when I rev the engine up. One of these days I will have to get the adaptor to thread into the spark plug hole and use compressed air to hold the valves up while I change the seals out. I have the Ford special tool for compressing the valves while the head is still on the engine.

My alternator is not putting anything out, so I need to check the wiring to see if maybe the alternator is not getting excited. Other wise I will need to pull it off and have Napa check it out and maybe replace it. I have a few small leaks to address, at least it does not leak half as bad as my 360 did. My power steering fitting leaks at the pump, it is a real bugger to get to and my not be tight enough, and the engine oil cooler lines leak at the engine. My transmission leaks but I can not do anything with that until I have to rebuild it down the road. Once I am sure I will have enough voltage to run the engine, and fill my tank up I will venture around the town to see how it runs and work any other bugs out. So far so good for meeting my August 9th goal.

Here are a few pictures of the pipes.

Jeff

Old 07-13-2008, 01:20 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Well today I got to take the first real drive in my pickup with the new engine setup! I was able to get my alternator sorted out and charging, as it turns out I had two problems.

One- The charge indicator light was not hooked up, as it turns out this turns the alternator on.

Two- The alternator was about to fail as the bearings were shot, so it was off to the parts store to get a new one. Man those are expensive little buggers, but then again just about anything for this engine is a little high on prices.

I still have my issue where the engine does not want to idle very good and after taking the pickup for a drive I am sure I have a vacuum leak some where on the back of the engine.

Other wise the engine runs great! I have a 3.70 rear end and this engine provides more than enough power to easily move the pickup up to speed. It is such a smooth running engine and sounds real good with the exhaust work done to it. The AODE transmission on the other had is giving me fits. It shifts smoothly once it shifts, but getting it to shift is the problem. When you accelerate you have to let off the throttle and then it will shift and you can take off again. A few times on the down shifting side as I was slowing down the transmission really wanted to hunt between gears. At this time I suspect the speed sensor as my speedo is not working correctly either and it is tapped into the same circuit. Once every thing cools down again I will explore the speed sensor in the back of the transmission up to the PCM and will hook my scanner up while taking another drive to monitor things.

I had planned on there being some little things to contend with so at this point it does not bug me. I am very happy to know it runs and it moves under its own power. Once I get these little things ironed out, this should be a good running old truck!

Jeff

Old 07-13-2008, 03:05 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff, when you were driving it and all, what gear was the trans in...D or OD ??? I have heard from some that these were quite the finicky unit...

- cs65

Old 07-13-2008, 04:13 PM
itsmywifestruck
Senior User
Wicked cool. Hope you are enjoying it

ROb

Old 07-13-2008, 06:18 PM
billy12360
Elder User
**round of apalaus**

and the sticky award should go out to

**hold the slilence for a moment**

bigblockford_390

Old 07-13-2008, 10:43 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by camperspecial65
Jeff, when you were driving it and all, what gear was the trans in...D or OD ??? I have heard from some that these were quite the finicky unit...

- cs65
The range selector is in D which if shifting properly will shift from 1 then 2 then 3 and then 4 (OD) To shut the OD off you have to press a button which at this time I have not bothered to hook that up. I did find the main reason the transmission is not shifting was the Brake ON OFF switch is not hooked up. My understanding of the circuit is that was mainly for cruise control which I do not have installed at this time. The wire is there, I just never did anything with it. Once I grounded the wire and went for a test drive it shifts through all the gears. I keep learning, wires I thought I would not need to hook up needed to be to keep the rest of the system working correctly. Some day I will get it right.

Now the problem is 2nd gear is almost non-existent and when it is there the transmission slips pretty good as the engine screams but you really do not accelerate. The rest of the gears work good. Other wise the transmission seams to work pretty good. Other than second, it shifts very smoothly, and most times if I was not looking at the scanner watching the transmission data I would not know what gear it was even in. Maybe next weekend I can hook up some gauges and take some pressure readings to verify the slipping clutch.

So unfortunately in the near future I will have to pull the transmission and rebuild it. Not what I planed but I had no clue what I bought and that was the chance I took and in this case it did not pay off. You win some and you loose some.

Jeff

Old 07-20-2008, 10:15 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
well today was not a good day but I have confirmed my transmission is no good. In fact today while driving the pickup around town to determine what the problem could be I lost all forward movement. Reverse still works but over all the transmission is junk. At least I know it will be coming out for a rebuild. I rolled the dice hoping I would not need to rebuild anything for a year and it did not pay off as I will now have to pull the engine back out again to get the transmission out. It really frustrates me as a few months ago the transmission was sitting on the ground in my garage, and I thought as long as everything was out I should rebuild but I talked myself out of that. Needless to say it will be the last time I ever do that.

The other bad thing was as I was backing my pickup back up the drive way my steering column broke and I no longer can control my shifting as the internal part for the shift lever snapped in two. I have not looked to see if I can even buy that part aftermarket or if I need to buy a parts truck.

So until I get my transmission out this will most likely be the last post on this subject for a while.

Jeff

Old 07-21-2008, 08:30 AM
lance65
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, that sucks A$$! You have done a great job with your truck. Good Luck
-Lance

Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Well I decided to get back to work on my old pickup after some time to cool down and get my thoughts gathered up on how to fix my pickup. I had three major problems on this pickup to address that I discovered while driving the pickup.

1. The engine would not idle.
2. No second gear.
3. Loss of all Forward movement.

Saturday I went out and pulled the engine and transmission from the pickup as it is a lot easier to get the transmission out that way. That ment pulling the grill and core support again. The plus side is I used all new bolts and clips with anti-seize on the bolts so everything came apart quickly with no problems. With the engine and transmission in my garage I could split the two and tear into the transmission. Thbe great thing about that is while I seperating the two I found out why my engine will not idle. There is about a 5/8 inch pipe right below the idle air control motor that I did not have hooked up to anything. That is where the sucking noise was and why it will not idle. That will be an easy fix when I go back together with everything.

Once I got into the transmission I found the 1-2 accumulator had a broken spring which put a hole in the accumulator which in my opionion cause a massive leak and is whyh I had no second gear, so problem two figured solved. Once I got the pump off of the front I found the forward clutch was trashed. The friction disk of the clutch packs were gone and stripped the splines right off. Problem three solved.

However, as I tore further into the transmission I found several broken pieces, the forward clutch sun gear and reverse clutch drum. After reading online I found a good source on how to build a good AODE/4R70W transmission and I discovered I needed a new output shaft and replace a one-way clutch with a mechaniacal diode. I also needed new bands as they are not adjustable and there was a lot of metal in my transmission due to my forward clutch. All the metal means I need a new torque convertor as well. With the help of Number Dummy and FTEpartsguy (Ed) I found all the new parts I would need and I about fell over when I found out it was going to cost me over 1500 dollars to rebuild my transmission.

Once again I was a little discuraged about this whole swap. I went to a local salvage yard and asked about a 1998 4R70W transmission as those had all the upgrades I needed to make a better transmission and sure enough they had one for 300 dollars. I picked it up and took it apart this morning. Everything looks good excpet the 1-2 accumulator had a broken spring, the same broken spring that failed in my transmission. I am glad I took it apart as I confirmed I have all the updated parts and will put a rebuild kit in. Most likly I did not need to, I could have replaced the broken spring and ran, but this time I am hear and I will rebuild this transmission before it goes back in. My kit should arrive this week and I will be on vacation next week but I should be back in business with in a month!
Jeff

Here are some pictures of my first transmission.

Forward clutch friction disk

1-2 Accumulator

All fo the pieces on my work bench

Old 08-23-2008, 10:12 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
It has been a while since I posted on this forum since I have been in Montana back on our farm for a while, but here is an update on my transmission.

I put a kit in my 4R70W before I left on vacation. I used a semi truck tie rod remover and my drill press to make a makeshift clutch compressor to change all the seals in the transmission. It was not the right tool for the job, but I made it work. Everything went together pretty good until the end when I had some trouble with the last few pieces. I stopped for the night and went to bed and in the morning everything just dropped right in. What a difference a night made. Everything is back together except the 1-2 accumulator as I needed to order new parts from FTE Parts Guy (Ed) and the valve body. I am going to make some improvements to the valve body based on some info I found on the net. Once I get the accumulator together I will air pressure check all the gears to make sure I did not cut a seal during installation. Then I will put the valve body in and I will be ready to drop everything back into the pickup.

I stopped at a junk yard in Spokane Washington and picked up a tilt steering column out of a 1979 F-150 to replace my broken 72 column. It needs a new horn cover and mine has cruise control and NO ONE makes a replacement for that year with cruise. It sure will be nice to have a tilt wheel on the old pickup.

I have also used this time to clean a few things up under the hood since the engine is out and I have easy access to all the parts. Most of the cleanup has been on wiring and a few other odds and ends.

Here are a few photos of my transmission rebuild.

Jeff

Quick Reply: 4.6L MOD motor swap has begun