1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

83f-150 351 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
83f-150 351 Questions

Earlier today I looked at an old rusting 83 F-150 4WD with a 351 and a four speed that a fellow has for sale. My interest in it is the chassis and drive train. I want to use it in a 53 F-100 shortbed I am building. I have questions about the engine. If I remember correctly, Ford was using some kind of electronics on their engine at that time but I don't remember much else. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the engine because I was also dealing for two other trucks with the same guy. I am wondering if anybody knows which 351 Ford was likely to have put in the 83 truck. I would like to build it up and go conventional on carburation and maybe basic pointless electronic on the ignition. I also would like to do a complete rebuild and go with some moderate performance enhancements. With this in mind, I would like to hear some opinions and ideas regarding the engine in this truck. Years ago I had a 351 Windsor I put in a 67 Ford Galaxie 2DHT that was stock but seemed to perform quite well. The old 351 Windsor was a small block that was basically a 302 block with the cylinder tops being a bit higher and requiring a little bit wider intake manifold. The heads were the same as a 302. I have never had any experience building or owning the other 351 versions. If anyone knows what engine this is and/or has experience building and running it, I'd like to hear from you.

Dave

Old 04-10-2008, 09:51 PM
uncle.stosh
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is a 351W also.

Good starting point and plenty of potential. Especially fuel injected.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:28 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by uncle.stosh
It is a 351W also.

Good starting point and plenty of potential. Especially fuel injected.
I was kind of hoping that was the case after thinking about it last might. Being that the 351 W is smaller, lighter and easier to handle. I'm retired and sort of old school so you younger guys will have to forgive me for not keeping up with stuff and knowing the latest. You suggested fuel injection which I had not considered. I know there are after market systems available but I was thinking they were a little too expensive for this project and I do kinda feel a bit nostalgic about the four barrel carb sitting there on top of a nice aluminum intake. However, nothing is ruled in or out at this stage as I am collecting parts and getting ideas along the way. If I buy this thing today I'll start thinking about what to do with it. Just for the sake of knowing, what kind of stuff is available for the 351 W and what are some of the best sources?

Dave

Old 04-11-2008, 09:11 AM
uncle.stosh
Postmaster
When I said fuel injected, I meant factory fuel injected. Starting somewhere in 85/86, they came fuel injected from the factory. You would need to get all of the stuff from a donor truck.

I too am old school (and not a "youngster") and although a carb is easier to work on, the same displacement motor is much more efficient and can make more power when injected.

If you are going to stick with a carb, you can do a lot more to the engine with regards to heads, cam, intake, headers and etc.

Summit Racing and Jegs are good sources for inexpensive after market parts.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,660 Likes on 1,342 Posts
When you look at it, see if the distributor on the engine has a vacuum line connection. If it doesn't, then it does have a lot of electronics on it, and it also may have a variable venturi carb. All this doesn't matter if you are going to a 4 bbl anyway, but if the dist has a vacuum line, you can keep that system (Ford duraspark II, which is a good system) and not have to buy another ignition system.

Uncle stosh probably knows more about it, or looked it up, but 1983 is going to be very close to the transition year from the 351m to the 351w. If you want to make double sure you have a 351w, it should have 6 bolts on the valve cover. The 351m has 8 bolts holding the valve cover on.

You are correct about the 351w being closely related to the 302, and it has lots more potential than a 302. On all Fords, the heads are the worst part, so if you could swing an aftermarket new set of heads, it will really wake it up then.

I am assuming you are going to get another tranny, unless the old pickup is going to be 4wd?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:21 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Franklin2
When you look at it, see if the distributor on the engine has a vacuum line connection. If it doesn't, then it does have a lot of electronics on it, and it also may have a variable venturi carb. All this doesn't matter if you are going to a 4 bbl anyway, but if the dist has a vacuum line, you can keep that system (Ford duraspark II, which is a good system) and not have to buy another ignition system.

You are correct about the 351w being closely related to the 302, and it has lots more potential than a 302. On all Fords, the heads are the worst part, so if you could swing an aftermarket new set of heads, it will really wake it up then.

I am assuming you are going to get another tranny, unless the old pickup is going to be 4wd?
Hi Franklyn2,
Thanks for the reply. I bought the truck today and drove it home. All things considered it was better than I thought it would be. the Body is pretty rough but all that is going to the crusher when I get around to taking it apart.

I started a thread here because of the year model of this donor truck but I will continue the discussion of this project on the '48 to '60 forum as it would be getting off topic a bit for this forum. I do appreciate the advice though.

As for the tranny, I plan on keeping the four speed as the low gear and rugged construction will serve my puropses well as I intend to use the truck as a novel looking shop truck with my restored Miller Big 40 welder in the back and the 4WD to get it where I need to go. Beefing up the 351 is just the frostring on the cake.

I won't be scrapping out the body for a while if anyone needs something from it. I will soon post pictures of it on my shop web page which is http://www.wfmservice.com which also has my contact info. I really hate to toss something that has value to someone else. On the other hand I am up to my neck in junk here and something has to go. If anyone is interested in continueing to follow the project on the 53 go to https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6027329

Once again, thanks for the reply.

Dave

Old 04-12-2008, 02:29 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
On all Fords, the heads are the worst part, so if you could swing an aftermarket new set of heads, it will really wake it up then.
Why are the heads the worst part on all Fords? I am trying to "wake up" my '85 carbed 302 on my own truck. What aftermarket new set of heads would you recommend, and what sort of gains could I expect with these new heads?

Old 04-12-2008, 03:29 PM
uncle.stosh
Postmaster
That 53 is going to be sweet sitting on a 4wd frame.

Keep us posted!

Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
Why are the heads the worst part on all Fords? I am trying to "wake up" my '85 carbed 302 on my own truck. What aftermarket new set of heads would you recommend, and what sort of gains could I expect with these new heads?
Ford heads do not flow very well. Hang around the mustang guys and they have been through the school of hard knocks. I seem to remember the best factory heads you can get came on late model explorers with the v8's. You have to do a lot of research though to make sure you get everything to fit.

If you have the money, the aluminum edelbrocks are a nice choice. There are several other companies, I think one is air flow research. The good thing about the aftermarket heads is they already have the large valves like the some of the chevy heads, and they have guide plates and a adjustable valve train. This means you can put any cam in the engine, and be able to adjust the valvetrain without any "kits".

I believe there are some cast iron heads out there too. Look at jegs or summit racing.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:31 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by uncle.stosh
That 53 is going to be sweet sitting on a 4wd frame.

Keep us posted!
Actually I plan to graft all the FWD stuff to a really clean extra 53 frame I have because all the proportions in the 83 frame are all wrong for the 53 body. I probably won't get around to starting on it until mid Summer. I gotta get the other stuff in the shop done and I have a lot of work to do on an old South Bend Lathe I'm setting up in my machine shop. I also still have some welding equipment to get set up. Keep an eye on the 48 to 60 forum as I will be hanging around there a lot.

Dave

Old 04-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Franklin2
You will really have to strengthen that old frame to take the 4wd stuff. I had a 53, and with the leaf springs and front solid axle, it's not a very strong frame. Take a look at the front crossmember on the later model truck. It's huge, and supports the axles as well as the front coil springs. It might be easier to get an older front straight axle out of a 70's pickup.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:42 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Franklin2
You will really have to strengthen that old frame to take the 4wd stuff. I had a 53, and with the leaf springs and front solid axle, it's not a very strong frame. Take a look at the front crossmember on the later model truck. It's huge, and supports the axles as well as the front coil springs. It might be easier to get an older front straight axle out of a 70's pickup.
That idea occurred to me too but I would have to find one the right ratio and width which enormously complicates things as most bone yards have no idea what they have ratio wise. Another problem is that I usually buy whole trucks for parts as opposed to going to the bone yard shysters. I can get a whole truck for what they want for a complete front diferental with steering components. I totally agree with you as to the weak characteristics of the stock 53 frame. I think that with the addition of boxing and some extra cross member work I can overcome that obstacle. The issue of engine location in relation to front wheel centerline may be the hardest thing to deal with. It may well result in a complete re-design of a suitable front crossmember. There is also the issue of the under cab crossmember that most hacks delete and end up ruining the truck cab and frame due to flexing.

As I mentioned earlier, this thread tends to be a bit off topic and I have tried to take it to the 48-60 forum because of the year of the truck. I originally started this thread to learn what I could about the 83 donor truck. I only continue here to respond to important and interesting points like the ones you have raised. Thanks for your response.

Dave