Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 06:13 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Picked up this bad boy from the local pick-a-part for a song. Got it cleaned up and tomorrow we're gonna swap out the vinyl bench for a cushier seat!

Old 05-11-2018, 08:13 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Deleted post

Old 05-12-2018, 01:41 AM
Josef Fischer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today I replaced the oil, coolant (it was empty), break fluid, and siphoned as much gas out of the front tank and added gas to my 1993 gas F350. I also replaced the battery. I hadn't run the truck for a year or so as it didn't pass emissions, but now it's 25 years old, so doesn't have to pass emissions. 6 miles down the road it started overheating, so I had to give it a break. Tomorrow I'll be messing with the radiator to see if there's a leak. Radiators online don't seem expensive, so maybe I should just replace it due to age and it sitting for so long?

Old 05-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Drove it yesterday to a jobsite where I'm getting my first small welding job. A little nervous as I've no formal training beyond several years of TIG welding, but am currently studying engineering and know a bad joint from a good one.

Depending on how this goes, I'm going to be looking for another truck to use as a welding rig, as mine is just way too handsome for that kinda work!

Old 05-12-2018, 06:20 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Well we finally got the seats swapped out today! Backstory: Mom loves to drive my truck since it's a manual, and lately she's been complaining that the standard XL bench is too stiff and uncomfortable. So I thought for Mother's Day it would be nice to find a cloth XLT seat that might cushion the ride a little more. Got it bolted in and mom went to Home Depot to get some mulch (that's our official Mother's Day project). She loved it! I think we'll hang on to the vinyl for when my little brothers inherit the truck - sweaty high-schoolers have no place stinking up my nicely cleaned cloth seats! Then I'll put the cloth back in, sell the vinyl bench, and give mom the truck once my brothers are done driving it.

Here's the bench I took out - grey vinyl under that seat cover

Replaced with this gem!

It's nice to have a comfier ride and cup holders. Only problem I see is that I sit a little bit lower than I did on the stiffer bench, but that's nothing big. It'll be a little nicer ride to and from college now.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:48 AM
Laggy
Senior User
This is exactly what I want to do. How did you land the gig?

Originally Posted by Azryael
Drove it yesterday to a jobsite where I'm getting my first small welding job. A little nervous as I've no formal training beyond several years of TIG welding, but am currently studying engineering and know a bad joint from a good one.

Depending on how this goes, I'm going to be looking for another truck to use as a welding rig, as mine is just way too handsome for that kinda work!

Old 05-16-2018, 06:16 AM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Laggy
This is exactly what I want to do. How did you land the gig?
My dad and I are both close friends with the county DA, so my dad always shows him what I'm working on. He asked if I would make some window guards for his 2nd story windows, and also put me in touch with someone else who's got a large project and wants to give me an opportunity to learn on the job.

I seem to learn best when thrown straight into the fire...

I've been working with computers since we had the old Amiga, and continued through high school and college working numerous IT jobs, so I've grown tired of sitting at a desk for a living and really want to get back to working with my hands and I love woodworking, so fabricating with metal has also piqued my interest. I want to go back to school for an ME degree, and hopefully this will put me on the right track and provide the funds to pay for school.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:54 PM
95fiveoh
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed my Curt Class IV hitch receiver. The old hitch receiver rusted out so I felt the need to replace it. The holes didn't line up with the holes from the old hitch so I had to drill new ones, and I had to massage the ends a bit with a flap wheel to make it fit nice, but it's on now. I'll never tow anything bigger than a 5x8 utility trailer with this truck so Class IV is way overkill, but it wasn't much more expensive than the class III.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:03 AM
Eh1992xlt
Junior User
Replaced the 2 capacitors in my '92's ECM. It had the cast housing. Seems to stumble less when I let off the gas now, but maybe it's in my head. I user caps rated for 5000 hrs at 105C from digikey.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
I had the day off work so a friend and I went to the local pick-a-part just to poke around. I wanted to get an XL dash trim piece to replace my broken one. However, I couldn't resist picking up the trim piece out of a '92 CUSTOM instead. Unique piece and it looks nice. Also picked up an OEM chrome 15x8 wheel with the plan of finding three more and swapping out my steelies.

Gosh, the Ford purists must hate me and my truck

Old 05-18-2018, 09:18 PM
TooManyMIce
Tuned
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Cleared out a new mouse nest from underneath the plenum.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:37 PM
steveamann
Senior User
94 F250 XLT

Got new head liner and front seat fixed the springs had broke. Hope to paint it soon.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:04 PM
Ddaybc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The beginning

Filed and ready

Installed and tested

My reward
Installed the Heim Joint for my clutch.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:44 AM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Ahh that heim joint was such a rewarding experience. I'm so thankful I won't ever need to worry about that clutch master rod again!

If I ever were to need to replace the master, I'd simply mangle the old one just to get the rod out to push it into the new one so I don't have to cut/file again.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Ddaybc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Azryael
Ahh that heim joint was such a rewarding experience. I'm so thankful I won't ever need to worry about that clutch master rod again!

If I ever were to need to replace the master, I'd simply mangle the old one just to get the rod out to push it into the new one so I don't have to cut/file again.
It sure feels different, firmer somehow but smooth. I can now turn on my key and then depress the clutch and the starter engages while I still have two inches or more before the clutch hits the floor. I haven't drove it much yet but I think it shifts smoother too. Before the heim joint fix and even after replacing all of the bushings in the pedal box I still needed to push the clutch to the floor before the truck would start.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?