Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford quality equals Toyota and Honda

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:55 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The Econoline is no longer covered by CAFE standards....

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
The reason I think the Transit will replace the E-Series is
1. I don't think there is a feasible way that the E-Series will assist in meeting the CAFE standards.
2. We are seeing a more "unified" approach by Ford in making corporate uniform models. We won't see many "duplicates" in model segments.
3. In terms of engineering, the Transit is centuries ahead of the E-Series in terms of comfort, NVH, ride/handling. Even though it has engines less than half the capacity of the E-Series, its "performance" is as good too (a standard SWB Transit lapped the Nurgburing in a time as quick as the S-type Jaguar).

There is a cost penalty, yes... but this will be slightly overcome by:
1. Competitors will get significantly more expensive with forthcoming CAFE standards

The biggest downsides are:
1. It doesn't have an automatic transmission at all...
2. Nor does it have a suitable sized gas engine... I wouldn't be surprised if we see an "ecoboost" option, or the 3.5/3.7 V6.

I will be honest, the Sprinter isn't a fair comparison to the Transit either, while similar in concept, they are different in execution, the Tranist is a much better vehicle (it is the current "International Van of the Year").
I think the Sprinter looks ugly, it is plagued by Mechanical problems (as mentioned above), and is more expensive than the Transit in the European market (about 8%).

I don't think it will replace the E-Series tomorrow, but in the distant future, I think it will happen.
For 2008, they increased the GVW of the E150 to 8600 lbs (basically it is a heavy duty 250 with E150 tags on it), so it is exempt from CAFE standards...this does leave some middle ground in terms of smaller box-shaped vehicles.

George

Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Given which... the forthcoming Transit Connect will probably take up.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I had something typed up about how much of a problem fleets would have with the E-series going away (if not responsible for them hanging around this long in the first place). But it's gone.

Oh well, maybe we're all better off

Old 05-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Jonas1022
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
The reason I think the Transit will replace the E-Series is
1. I don't think there is a feasible way that the E-Series will assist in meeting the CAFE standards.
2. We are seeing a more "unified" approach by Ford in making corporate uniform models. We won't see many "duplicates" in model segments.
3. In terms of engineering, the Transit is centuries ahead of the E-Series in terms of comfort, NVH, ride/handling. Even though it has engines less than half the capacity of the E-Series, its "performance" is as good too (a standard SWB Transit lapped the Nurgburing in a time as quick as the S-type Jaguar).

There is a cost penalty, yes... but this will be slightly overcome by:
1. Competitors will get significantly more expensive with forthcoming CAFE standards

The biggest downsides are:
1. It doesn't have an automatic transmission at all...
2. Nor does it have a suitable sized gas engine... I wouldn't be surprised if we see an "ecoboost" option, or the 3.5/3.7 V6.

I will be honest, the Sprinter isn't a fair comparison to the Transit either, while similar in concept, they are different in execution, the Tranist is a much better vehicle (it is the current "International Van of the Year").
I think the Sprinter looks ugly, it is plagued by Mechanical problems (as mentioned above), and is more expensive than the Transit in the European market (about 8%).

I don't think it will replace the E-Series tomorrow, but in the distant future, I think it will happen.
It can and probably will replace the E series. Just because we have to do business smarter every new year than we did the last. Can't keep on bull ******* our way through life. Got to get to the bottom line and cut costs of operating. Having a less expensive vehicle, no matter what the task is one way to cut those costs. Pretty straight forward, imho your right on.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like Ford's claim to being equal to Toyota in initial quality was short lived if in fact it was ever true to begin with

The real test is used car quality and used car values. Ford is well behind in that category.

Ratings | J.D. Power