1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The Village Idiot met Me Today

Old 09-07-2008, 11:29 PM
user 629023
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey irondragon
i happen to have a very stout pto winch that came out of my f-4. jv

Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad this thread came back up. I was inspired the first time I read it. My recently purchased 97 Dakota had this tiny plastic horn that sounded ridiculous. I replaced it with three Spartan horns. Two matched high/low units from a 63 Comet and one from a 56 Ford truck. The three together reasonate and sound just like a Kenworth air horn. Jag

Old 09-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Scott123
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've already started my Christmas wish list, and JC Whitney advertizes a pretty nice looking set of SS trumpet horns for $60 a piece, and offer both high and low notes.

Pricey, but nice underhood bling.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
I think thats a pretty good price as long as they are stainless and not just chromed horns.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If I remember right, i think we have some of those old trumpets at my dads in Nevada. My 53,4,5, whatever semi project has a pair of Grovers that came of a City of Prineville train. (they are very, very, very loud when the air is put to em).

Old 09-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
What is it with you all and little tiny horns?

Get some real ones! They can be heard for well over a mile.

Train horns!

I took that pic at the 2006 F-100 supernationals. It is one of the club trucks from CA. I cannot think of the owners name at the moment. Ed knows him well.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine aren't little tiny......They take up the whole length of the roof front to back, and came of an old diesel train from the City of Prineville. I can't actually open them up while sitting in the cab of the truck without risking serious hearing damage (no insulation in the roof yet). I can only put enough air to them to operate one of them before it gets too loud that my head actually vibrates and my teeth hurt. Those triple trumpets under the hood of that truck look good, but kinda small.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"What is it with you all and little tiny horns?"

Hey Brian, It's not the size that counts, it's how big the blast is when you blow your horn!! Jag

Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,778 Likes on 1,819 Posts
My plan was to use the 4 note, 4 horn set-up that Caddy used for years. Those babies got your attention. However, when I got to digging around my parts stash and found the box with my GM horns in it I found that the 4 horns I had carefully hidden away for all these years happened to be 2 each of the same note (sometimes its not easy being me....LOL). So, I have a 2 note horn and not the 4 but it still does pretty well on getting your attention.

Joe, a train horn is a great find! I'd sure like to see the look ont eh face of the guy that had that blared at him in traffic....LOL

Bobby

Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
I can't believe it...

I saw a notification about this old thread and it was like a visit from a ghost. I don't know if you guys realize it but sandidande, has passed away. It was sometime shortly after this post. I suppose you guys never knew it because there was a problem between him and Tim the moderator and he got booted. Shortly after I joined FTE I saw his posts and I realized I had met this guy. I was part of a special civilian contracting outfit doing work for the DOD and the Navy. I'm not at liberty to say what that was about but I did get to know him enough to really like him. He was one of those guys that you either really like or hate. There was no middle ground. I can't believe he is gone. He was a regular no BS kind of guy that didn't wear his officer status like a king's royal robes. When I wa in the service over forty years ago I was enlisted. I was in SAC and there were enough of both kinds of officers in there for me to get to know the difference. Sandidande was one of the good guys. He knew what I was and he treated me with as much or more respect as any one of his superiors. We kind of bonded over mutual interests.

You guys don't know it but his truck lives on and it is in the hands of a fellow FTE member that I am not at liberty to divulge. Let's just say the truck is still in the family and leave it at that. He was a great guy. He didn't have to wear or sport his rank as an officer like some do to be secure. I've even run into some people who claim to to have been an officer when they never were. Dan was about as far as one can get from being like one of those kind of guys.

Later Folks...

Old 09-09-2008, 11:07 PM
jake08
Elder User
Thanks very much for letting us know. I missed his posts. Sad day.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jake08
Thanks very much for letting us know. I missed his posts. Sad day.
Yes, you are right about that. I just happened to notice that his gallery is still up. He was doing some nice work.

Later Man...

Old 09-10-2008, 08:18 AM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Wow, that's a shock - we traded a few quips about San Diego, where I spent most my life, and I have the same clock/ashtray that he has. I have a whole folder of his pictures saved, mostly of his interior.

It's always a shock, sort of like finding out an old friend has passed. Reminds us all how short life really is - I've said MANY times, that I don't want to die, with a 1/2 finished truck in the shop...Guess that's why I'm so determined to get it on the road.

Thanks for letting us know, Dave. I hadn't realized he'd gotten the boot.

R

Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rcav8or
Wow, that's a shock - we traded a few quips about San Diego, where I spent most my life, and I have the same clock/ashtray that he has. I have a whole folder of his pictures saved, mostly of his interior.

It's always a shock, sort of like finding out an old friend has passed. Reminds us all how short life really is - I've said MANY times, that I don't want to die, with a 1/2 finished truck in the shop...Guess that's why I'm so determined to get it on the road.

Thanks for letting us know, Dave. I hadn't realized he'd gotten the boot.

R
Yeah, there was a post going about some guy that had burned several members on parts deals and Dan was pushing to get him exposed for the crook he was and old Tim decided that he would end it by booting Dan. IMO, he handled it badly but it was his call and now he has to live with it I guess. When I see something like that go down I'm reminded that it should be taken as a lesson to me not to act that way. I remember a post I made where I referred to incident in terms of description without names and one of the members PM'd me warning that I would suffer the same consequence. He was probably right but I didn't intend to push it beyond that one post so it didn't really matter.

Maybe some day the new owner of the truck will reveal their identity. I think that should be left up to them.

Later Man...

Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Woodsman_30350
Elder User
San Diego doesn't have the market cornered on these creeps. South Texas has our share. Now I know what I am doing to my Effie!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Village Idiot met Me Today