1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

what all is needed to hotshot....leagaly

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:43 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what all is needed to hotshot....leagaly

its not somthing im looking to get into full time, but maby somthing for an occiasional free trip somewhere iv never been too durring the slow season and maby make a buck or two in the process. also would i have to attach dot or mc numbers to my truck, if so would i have to stop at all weight stations even if im hauling a personal load or not hauling anything at all

Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 AM
dauto
New User
to do it leagaly you would need dot #s and stop at the wiegh stations every time you pass one.You will need to do annual dot inspections and keep records of them and repairs on you truck. You will be open to road side spot onspections also. You will need to make sure your insurance will cover you.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
would you be able to attach dot #'s magneticly so they could be removed when not working, or maby a sign in the window saying not in service or something along troughs lines. also what class of cdl is required? and about stopping at weight stations im talking about when im not hauling a hired load. that would be kinda a pia to have to stop every time i pass a weight stations when only occasionaly hauling hired loads

Old 04-08-2008, 03:21 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
what is hotshotting???

Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by secondarychaos
what is hotshotting???
Basicly trucking with you pickup.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 884x4broncoII
would you be able to attach dot #'s magneticly so they could be removed when not working
that would be your best option, keep them in the back seat when not in use, no dot# on door drive you can right by scale. IF and I stress IF.... your empty or hauling your personal stuff.

you also better have a one ton if you plan on pulling a trailer, 3/4 you will be over the GVWR pretty quick.

what state are you in??? the state to state laws differ but the basic Fed regs are pretty easy.

here is a link to the Federal Motor carriers website. they will be the ones you have to abide buy when it comes to truck inspections, weight limits, tags on truck and trailer, your personal liscens, insurace stuff. being a 2nd year trucker with my own Authority, its a VERY steap learning curve. rules regs, taxes, paperwork, logs, where your legal, where your not..........

Rules & Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

there web site can be very confusing, go slow, read and reread again.

feel free to PM me if you want with any other questions, I will try to answer as best I can.

Diesel Rod

Old 04-08-2008, 08:06 PM
alstieg
Senior User
its not against the law to weigh more than what you are rated for, but is not recommended. I'm in MI and use magnets with company name, City & state and DOT #. I pull a 16k load with my F250 and am just under 26k weight RATING, not gross weight. If your over 26k GVWR you need a cdl, if not, just a chauffers license. I had to get a commercial plate for my truck as well.

Last edited by alstieg; 04-08-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: wrote wrong info
Old 04-08-2008, 08:47 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
i love farm tags. i can get by around here landscaping, and hotshotting from machinery auctions

Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 stroke man
i love farm tags. i can get by around here landscaping, and hotshotting from machinery auctions
Until you get caught and have to pay the fines and have your plates revoked. It happens, often!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alstieg
its not against the law to weigh more than what you are rated for, but is not recommended. I'm in MI and use magnets with company name, City & state and DOT #. I pull a 16k load with my F250 and am just under 26k weight RATING, not gross weight. If your over 26k GVWR you need a cdl, if not, just a chauffers license. I had to get a commercial plate for my truck as well.
thats that gray area where it depends on the officer, some will say "That truck is rated for 18K and you weigh 20K, your over." even when the truck is licensed for 14K and the trailer is 10K your total is 24K, under CDL, over GVWR. its confusing. thats where big trucks rule, 80K MAX. licensed for 81K. just stay under 80K. unless you apply for the permit, then its 89K except the interstate, unless its frozen, then you get another permit and your legal till March.......

see what I mean, CONFUSING.

Diesel Rod

Old 04-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Thats why you just by an apportioned plate, then they LEGALLY have to abide by what the plate is rated for. Here in ohio, you need MC numbers, or puco, plus you have to tag everything COMMERCIAL, and it doesnt matter if your hauling your own things, or someone elses, YOU HAVE TO STOP AT ALL WEIGH STATIONS.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
well i finally got a trailer to pll behind my stroke... and hope fully i get some business from drill steel... they haul mining supplies... roof bolts mining belt the teeth for continuous miners you name it they got it... and i am gonna go in and talk to them about hauling for them... and the trailer i got is not as big as the ones some of you all have but hey it gets the job done... and i will post some pics with a load on it when i get the chance...

Old 04-08-2008, 11:21 PM
jimwilsonmasonry
Elder User
my buddy has a 97 psd completely stock he is a roofer he hauls all the tearoff to the dumps well he pulled on the scales and weighed 35k total i couldnt believe it he did have trailer brakes though but still thats a lot of weight

Old 04-09-2008, 08:24 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
trailer breaks in proper working order can relay save your ***, i had to panic stop 10k one time with trailer breaks but i never turned them up after hauling an empty trailer, it was a white knuckle sobering experience. now i keep them turned up as high as i can without the breaks locking.

so am i correct that the licence i would need would be a chauffeurs license? what a the difference between a chauffeurs license and a cdl? what are the differances in obtaining eather license?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:23 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
well i have a load behind my stroke tonight will be getting weighed tomarr but it handles it like it is barely there... it is loaded with scrap iron...

Quick Reply: what all is needed to hotshot....leagaly