Really screwed up the mix

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Really screwed up the mix

I decided to make my first batch 5 gallons in case I screwed it up. Well, I did.
I started out not putting in enough KOH so with your collective help, I ran it again and added more KOH. I let it sit in the separator and I did notice glycerol on the bottom of the sample bottle. I ran a titration 3 TIMES and it checked good. I had a family emergency so I didn't get any further for several weeks. Today I finished the process.The glycerol was in gooey clumps so I scooped them out of the bottom. I reheated to 100F,filtered through a 5 mic bag filter and attempted to remove the methoxide. THERE WASN'T ANY. I attribute this to running the batch twice and letting it sit for several weeks. OK no problem. I put in mix tank and used the following formula. 5 gal BD=36# 1% of 36 is .36# .36#= 5.76 oz. With that, I added 5.76 oz of magnesol and gently mixed for 1 hour. I then attempted to filter through a 5 mic/1 mic filter bag. It took 2 hours for 1/2 gal to drip through the bags. Obviously I have done something wrong. It is only 5 gallons. Shall I dump it and try again? What did I do wrong. Sure glad it wasn't 100 gals like Fab's first batch.
Sorry for the lengthy post but I need help and I know you want to know everything I did or didn't do. Thank you in advance for your help. Tom

Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom D
I decided to make my first batch 5 gallons in case I screwed it up. Well, I did.
I started out not putting in enough KOH so with your collective help, I ran it again and added more KOH. I let it sit in the separator and I did notice glycerol on the bottom of the sample bottle. I ran a titration 3 TIMES and it checked good. I had a family emergency so I didn't get any further for several weeks. Today I finished the process.The glycerol was in gooey clumps so I scooped them out of the bottom. I reheated to 100F,filtered through a 5 mic bag filter and attempted to remove the methoxide. THERE WASN'T ANY. I attribute this to running the batch twice and letting it sit for several weeks. OK no problem. I put in mix tank and used the following formula. 5 gal BD=36# 1% of 36 is .36# .36#= 5.76 oz. With that, I added 5.76 oz of magnesol and gently mixed for 1 hour. I then attempted to filter through a 5 mic/1 mic filter bag. It took 2 hours for 1/2 gal to drip through the bags. Obviously I have done something wrong. It is only 5 gallons. Shall I dump it and try again? What did I do wrong. Sure glad it wasn't 100 gals like Fab's first batch.
Sorry for the lengthy post but I need help and I know you want to know everything I did or didn't do. Thank you in advance for your help. Tom
You just had to remind everybody about my first disaster didn't you Tom

When you say you attemped to remove the methoxide, how did you do that?

Did you pump mix the magnesol, or Stir it gently?

I would junk that test and try it again..................

Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
You just had to remind everybody about my first disaster didn't you Tom

When you say you attemped to remove the methoxide, how did you do that?

Did you pump mix the magnesol, or Stir it gently?

I would junk that test and try it again..................
Sorry Don, but misery loves company. Anyway, it is because of your experience that I tried a small batch. Thanks for that.
I SLOW mixed the magnesol. And I used YOUR method to remove the methoxide with the BD at 100 deg.
I noticed the inside of the 5 gallon pail WAS painted and now the methanol has stripped it clean. Do you think the paint is messing it all up?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tom D
Sorry Don, but misery loves company. Anyway, it is because of your experience that I tried a small batch. Thanks for that.
I SLOW mixed the magnesol. And I used YOUR method to remove the methoxide with the BD at 100 deg.
I noticed the inside of the 5 gallon pail WAS painted and now the methanol has stripped it clean. Do you think the paint is messing it all up?
Don, I sent you an email concerning this. Tom