50/50 diesel and wvo

Old 04-02-2008, 10:36 PM
sand1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
50/50 diesel and wvo

can u mix filtered veggie oil to regular pump diesel 50/50??

Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope so. I've been doing something similiar for the past two years. Search my screen name.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
It is risky

Old 04-05-2008, 02:57 PM
akghound
Junior User
Use Caution here

Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
It is risky
Very true .... Diesel and filtered/de-watered WVO will mix just fine. Running it cold can cause major engine damage. In my opinion it is best to run a two tank setup where the WVO is heated. Start and shutdown on diesel. Run on WVO only when engine is up to operating temp.
Ken Gardner

Old 04-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
akghound
You got it.
Blending is a gamble that can cost you an engine.

BTW where in Big Sky Country?

Old 04-06-2008, 04:38 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Advantages and disadvantages.
YOU will NOT burn up your engine, you MAY burn up injector pump/injectors if your not careful Where are you at, (warm climate, cool climate, etc.) I run 50/50 when its cold, then go all the way to 100 % in the hot summer, however, use common sense, I run Straight diesel when its below 32 degrees. However, I have enough miles on my old Ford and My old Dodge to buy both of them an engine with the money I've saved.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:53 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Ok, got a question for you guys that run wvo with a 2-tank set-up and those that make biodiesel. If you process wvo to remove the glycerin and water and other goodies to make biodiesel and it's ok to burn, then running straight wvo in a 2-tank set-up still has all that junk in it right? So what harm would come by blending it in your tank? Forgive me, but after reading 'bout this stuff a couple years, still some grey areas. Thanks, Bill

Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 AM
akghound
Junior User
Glycerin is a byproduct produced as a result of the chemical breakdown of VO when making Biodiesel. It is not an issue when running straight VO or WVO.
One is "Removing" it from the vetetable oil but creating it when the oil is "Brokedowm" in the Bio process.
The water and other goodies need to be removed from WVO in order for it to be safely used. This is easly done with filtration, heating and settling. So NO one does not run straight WVO with all the "Junk" in it with a two tank setup. No hamburgers of french fries allowed, they plug up the exhaust pipe!!
The risk of blending is that the WVO should be heated in order to burn properly. You stand a pretty good chance of engine damage if it is not heated. The colder the climate the greater the risk.
Good Questions, keep up the study and most of the gray will fade away.
Ken Gardner
Montana City, Montana

Old 04-07-2008, 11:09 AM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
It will burn fine unheated, the problems are going to be getting it to the engine, through the injector pump and injectors, they will plug up if it gets to thick.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AndysFords
It will burn fine unheated, the problems are going to be getting it to the engine, through the injector pump and injectors, they will plug up if it gets to thick.
Straight veggie oil will NOT run fine UNHEATED! I've had 2 engines at my shop that were run on unheated veggie oil and they are junk!!! Unheated WVO will coke up EVERYTHING. Both engines I tore down had the bores worn out from the coking behind the rings, which carved the bore out. There are nuerious studyes out there that will say the same thing. DO THE RESEARCH, I have, and I've seen the results myself.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:44 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Straight veggie oil will NOT run fine UNHEATED! I've had 2 engines at my shop that were run on unheated veggie oil and they are junk!!! Unheated WVO will coke up EVERYTHING. Both engines I tore down had the bores worn out from the coking behind the rings, which carved the bore out. There are nuerious studyes out there that will say the same thing. DO THE RESEARCH, I have, and I've seen the results myself.

and your positive that this is because the WVO is not heated, and not just because it is WVO?

Old 04-07-2008, 08:45 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by IceboxFX
and your positive that this is because the WVO is not heated, and not just because it is WVO?
Yes, I am. I have absolutely no problem with anyone that wants to run WVO that is well filtered, and waterless in a HEATED SYSTEM! I've read the studies, and know people that are using it in heated systems in excess of 100,000 miles with NO long term problems, BUT, I have seen the results of unheated WVO, and it's not pretty................

I have chosen to make biodiesel because of the cost to convert All my diesels to a Heated system. I have 3 Cats, 3 combines, 2 semi's, 4 irrigation pumps, and 6 pickups all running biodiesel. The cost to convert all these to a heated system is cost prohibitive for my ranch. I know there are people out there who say they have used unheated WVO for a year or two with no problems, but show me a LONG TERM study [100,000 miles+] on unheated WVO use that shows it's OK.............IF YOU CAN FIND ONE! The only long term studies on unheated WVO I've seen show that long term use will DESTROY a diesel engine. I have well over $1,000,000 invested in equipment for the ranch that I'm unwilling to take a chance on. I know I p*$$ off a few people when I say this, but NOT IN MY DIESELS!!!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:01 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Do you attribute the damage to the thicker viscosity of the unheated veg oil?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
akghound
Junior User
Viscosity relationship VO/Dsl

Compliments of Frybrid.com Frybrid Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems -- Theory of Vegetable Oil Conversion

Old 04-09-2008, 07:12 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
Originally Posted by akghound
I'm very familiar with the Frybrid chart. I am active on that forum also. My question regarding the viscosity being the issue causing the engine damage has to do with my practice of blending. By blending I am reducing the viscosity. If viscosity is not the issue causing the failed engines, I may have more to worry about, although at two years everything still is working well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 50/50 diesel and wvo