1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Just bought a 1999 4.0 need MPG/4x4 help? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:04 AM
riljc7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 1999 4.0 need MPG/4x4 help? What do you think?

I had my first ranger before this it was a 1996 2.3L dual plug engine. Which runs great. Anyone know what this dual plug engine is all about. I have heard that it has more HP? Anyone own one?

I just upgraded to a 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.0L Off Road package. He was asking 3,750 for it, I paid 3,500. It has a new motor and transmission that has 40,000 miles on it. The body has 170,000.

I am new to the site and have been reading on here that the 1999 Rangers have problems with there 4x4's what is this all about?

Also Iread on hear a few times that other 4.0L trucks are getting above 20MPG and some 23MPG. They said there gear were 3.75...maybe?.. or 3.51. Can I switch my gear ratio. Would that give me less power. and if so how much less. I dont pull too much..

Anyone here rides dirtbikes up north by the way. Honda XR250... I am looking to buy one soon.

Well thanks for the help in advace. I can't wait to get up north.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:27 AM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
What mileage you getting? All Rangers/Explorers with electronic T cases can have trouble. There is a stop bushing that crushes over time and then the 4whl shifter position sensor can't "see" it so it stays in 2 wheel drive.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:26 AM
littleme13
Posting Guru
if you have 3.73 gears keep em youll be happy you did if you ever put bigger tires. the hubs on these rangers are known to go out due to the vacume system sucks big time. be sure to use your 4x4 at least once a week in 4hi and 4low even if its just down your driveway, this usually keeps the shift motor from going out. other then that they are great trucks.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:01 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
The 98-2000 ranger 4x4's used a pulse vacume hub system that is **** to develope vacume leaks that won't allow the hubs to engage. very promblematic in these years. However there's an easy fix. www.tellico 4x4.com sells a set of AVM manual hubs for this system for around 100.00$. The manual hubs does away with the vacume hub system for a very reliable old shool turn in the hubs system. My 04 ranger 4x4 had the 4.0, manaul tranny and 4:10 gears, I was getting 22 mpg local and 24-25 highway. The 4.0 sohc gets better mileage than the push rod 4.0 and I did a lot of engine mods like intake, cat back, udp's, headers and bama engine programer. I also ran synthetic fluids in the engine, tranny, t-case and rear diff. When the truck was new I was getting 18/22 mpg, so it helped. However I don't recomend doing mods for mpg reasons, as you can buy a lot of gas for what the mods cost, I did it for a power bump, the mpg was just a side benifit. The best thing to do is go old school, check tire presure, tune up, light foot and I believe in synthetics as they reduce friction and help mpg. Also you may want to run some seafoam throuigh your 4.0 to remove any carbon build up and sludge. The bama programer isn't a bad idea as it bumps hp and torque, improves mpg, improves shift points and allows you to correct the speedo for different tire sizes and gear changes. It comes with 3 customized tunes, one of your choices could be an mpg tune that runs off 87 octane. It plugs into a port and changes tunes at the push of a button. You can talk to Doug at BamaChips Tuning for your best options. I also ran the max tire presure posted on the side of the tire, unless I was 4-wheeling, then I would reduce the tire presure a little for better grip in the rough. The 4x4's aren't friendly toward gas by thier very nature, the system creates weight and drag no matter the size of the engine or truck, it's a trade off for having 4x4 capabilites, but it can be improved some what as I have found. Good luck and welcome to the site, I'm sure some of by budies will have some idea's as well to share with you.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:58 AM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Originally Posted by riljc7
I had my first ranger before this it was a 1996 2.3L dual plug engine. Which runs great. Anyone know what this dual plug engine is all about. I have heard that it has more HP? Anyone own one?

Also Iread on hear a few times that other 4.0L trucks are getting above 20MPG and some 23MPG. They said there gear were 3.75...maybe?.. or 3.51. Can I switch my gear ratio. Would that give me less power. and if so how much less. I dont pull too much..

Well thanks for the help in advace. I can't wait to get up north.
I had (for about 6 months) a 1989 Ranger with the 2.5l, dual plug setup, and it damn sure wasn't designed for HP. That thing had ZERO *****, and was barely capable of towing a U-Haul trailer up the grade from Kansas to Colorado on I-70. I was in 3rd gear with my hazard lights on. Maybe 700lbs in the trailer. Sold it as soon as I got settled.

The 4.0L will get 20mpg easily on the highway. My Sport-Trac got 20-21 stock, with 4.10 gearing.

My 5.4's get around 19 on the highway with 3.73 gears, and they are a little bit heavier than a Ranger. I think Ford concetrates on making a minimum acceptable fuel standard on thier vehicles.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:56 PM
riljc7
New User
How do i know if it is SOHC

Is there a chance that I could mess up my truck, when i clean out the carbon?

And how do i know if it is SOHC... It say 4.0L EFI on the top of the engine. The guy said the engine was an 02, or 03.

I am also wondering is it worth changing the hubs to manual now, or should i wait till it goes out. Will it cost more if i change them when the vacum sensor goes out?

Old 04-06-2008, 04:17 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
If you change the hubs now you won't have a tow bill later. I have 3.73 ' s 31" mudders and on a tank with a little light 4x4 ing got 14mpg in town. Oh, 4L 5 spd 161,000 miles.