Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 05:05 PM
redlead3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would u want this from pulleys...?

30% Reduction Crank Pulley 850 RPM

30% Reduction Crank Pulley, 15% Water Pump 1100 RPM

Can some one Please explain why did this increases horsepower even though your cooling is reduced? Everything though, not just that... please...

Paul Bailey

Old 07-24-2002, 05:22 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Paul

Changing the crank or accessory pulley sizes reduces the drag on the engine and leaves more to turn the wheels. As you mention, cooling system and alternator performance are reduced. Maybe you get by with it on your application, maybe you don't.

Dewayne

Old 07-24-2002, 05:33 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru

As Fenders warns, it will free up a few HP (10, MAX, and that's at about 6000 RPM), but that's cutting it too close for a daily driver. The March pulleys, to their credit, do operate whisper-quiet, and will definately extend the life of your belts, but this benefit is marginal, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with running stock accessory drive system. If your replace them every 3-4 years, you'll be fine. If you're building a show quality street rod, then you might find that $200 is worth it, but you're better off scrapping your mechanical fan for an electric ($89) if you're interested in freeing up the pulley load, that one really will make a difference. TK

Old 07-24-2002, 05:39 PM
redlead3
Junior User

Torque King,
I was thinking of pulling dual electric fans out of a Taurus and getting the pulleys... Would this make my setup more reliable for a daily driver... Next year I'll be making 3-4 hr trip every other weekend too... Thanx for the responses!

Paul Bailey

Old 07-24-2002, 06:17 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru

Yeah, that would be a real nice setup, you won't even be running the fans on the highway if you have an adjustable thermostat, I set my fans to come on at 180, because my thermostat opens at 160, and when the only time the radiator alone gets overrun is when I'm sitting in traffic, then the electric fan comes in and cools it right back down. Make sure you run a relay, so the fans run at maximum efficiency. Most relay harnesses have adjustable thermostats so you can fine-tune your cooling system. TK

Old 07-24-2002, 11:07 PM
76RangerXLT
Senior User