General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Jackpot winner to boss: I'm out of here/ford motor co 34 years

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:15 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I've posted this before, I'll post it again.

If any of you Americans win the powerball or any lottery over 100 million, I am here to offer you my lottery winnings collection service. Say your 100 million to you is worth what after the IRS takes its share? Well, all you have to do is send me the unsigned ticket. Then, I, as a Canadian, will sign the ticket, go down and claim the winnings. ALL of the winnings, tax FREE! You want a lump sum, you got it. You want it all over 25 years you got it. All I ask is a small fee of 1%. After I collect my 1%, I send the remaining 99% to you, the real "winner".

Old 04-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually we have to pay tax on games of chnace in the US.

Games shows,Lotteries, Vegas.... Uncle Sam gets it first.

Nice try though !

Old 04-06-2008, 11:26 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I know that the IRS takes its cut. But I also know that WE can get it back. Any winnings in Vegas is taxed. But we only have to make a phone call once we get home and we get it all back. Sure, there's a nominal fee, but who wouldn't pay a couple hundred bucks to get their few grand back?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:16 AM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rednekrailroader
Yeah but happiness can't buy beer, strippers, or hot wings...........
And without those things, is anyone truly happy...

Tim

Old 04-07-2008, 12:24 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by parks911
What I would do if it were me.....

buy all my neighboring properties & bulldoze the dwellings (I hate neighbors)
that is right what i would do, i wouldnt bulldoze them but i would rent them out so i could have some imput on what they can or can not do.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:23 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oldgoat49
It seems like most of the time the lottery winners end up blowing the money in a few years and say they wish they'd never seen it.
There's a reason for this. If someone never built wealth and doesn't have a wealth mentality, getting the money this way will not suddenly change them into someone who knows how to hold onto wealth. While giving $1 million each to his former co-workers is good-hearted, its also financially stupid and the guy will be broke before he knows it pissing through millions like that. Doing what he did sends a clear signal to every friend, relative, acquaintance, etc. that he's an ATM.

The first three things to do:

1. Change your phone immediately.
2. Call an attorney.
3. Get a fee-only financial advisor to manage your money and put you on an allowance.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:21 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"While giving $1 million each to his former co-workers is good-hearted, its also financially stupid and the guy will be broke before he knows it pissing through millions like that. Doing what he did sends a clear signal to every friend, relative, acquaintance, etc. that he's an ATM."

I have a few buds I'd make rich, but it would be by setting up a revocable trust fund so they couldn't p1$$ it away.

"1. Change your phone immediately.
2. Call an attorney.
3. Get a fee-only financial advisor to manage your money and put you on an allowance."

4. Move to a wealthy community where you won't stand out. Rich people don't hang with poor people for good reasons, mainly that po' folks will want their money.
5. Don't spend much immediately, and take classes to learn how to use serious money.
6. If you like bling and wasting your money on stupid crap to impress other folks in the trailer park, just send me the money and go OD on crank now that you can afford it!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
4, 5, 6 and many more things will be addressed by a fee only advisor. They don't just handle investments, they help setup a budget, your will, advance directives, lifestyle decisions, life goals, health choices, vacation goals, insurance (including a multi-million umbrella policy because you're now a lawsuit target for leaches looking for an opportunity), etc.

Two years ago my wife and I found an excellent fee-only advisor and it was one of the best decisions we've ever made.... not only for our money, but for our life. It also gives us access to funds through Fidelity not available to the average Joe. This guy is great, and is one of the top rated people in his field. He has two offices in Atlanta, and one in Utah. Less than one in 2000 financial advisers are fee-only, because so few people are truly qualified. Many will claim they are fee only, but they are really "fee based" which means they charge you a fee plus they get back end kick-backs and commissions.

Our guy handles everything from professional athletes, the very wealthy and average smoes like me.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:59 AM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I changed my opinion, I'd use some of the money to pay for courses to become my own fee advisor and other courses and then use my powers for good...to welcome other people new to money to "the club"

Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 PM
JimmysRed150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boxcar1974
Now that's just enough to make ya grit your teeth.

I make $75K with a ton of responsibility to my company, employees, and myself. And I certainly wont retire with the pension of a union auto worker. Heck I bet he worked a 40 week for that money. 40 hrs......ha ha....that's three days to me.
I can assure you that he didn't make $100,000 a year working 40 hours. He put in alot of OT to make that money. I to worked in a Ford plant and have been retired now for 8 yrs and on my best yr, working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day for at least half the year, I never came close to that. The most I made in any given years was about $75,000. Skilled trades guys and ones that practically lived in the plant and worked every single OT hour they could get could possibly hit $150,000 a year. But we're talking 100 hrs a week.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:32 PM
JimmysRed150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Traderjoe28
It's common for people to say they'd give money away to their friends if they won the lottery, yet nobody ever talks about the tax ramifications of doing that. Here in the U.S., anybody can give up to $11,000/year to anybody they want to, without any tax liability. Any amount over $11,000, however, is subject to the "gift tax", which is the responsibility of the giver to pay. And $11,000/year isn't going to make anybody rich.

Yes, you could make your friends independently wealthy if you really wanted to do it, but it would cost you a bundle. To give 20 people a half a million dollars would cost you, as the giver, much more than 10 million dollars.

And if you did win a large lottery amount, don't you think that Uncle Sam (along with his cousin, the State you live in) would be watching you like a hawk as to how you spent the money? Sneeze once relative to violating an obscure tax law and they'd be all over you so fast ...
Actually, I believe it's $12,000 now. And true, you're not going to make anybody rich that way but, let's say you give your buddy $12,000. Your wife could also give him the same amount plus, you could each give his wife the same amount for a grand total of $48,000. And I think you could do it each year. It won't make them rich but, it sure would enhance their lifestyle.
I also read that the Mega Millions winner belonged to a lottery club but, the winning ticket was bought on his own. He said he was still going to give club friends a million each. Plus, his brother works at Detroit Metro Airport, cause two of my boys work there and know who he is. Well, he gave his brother $5,000,000 and his brother, who had 30 yrs with Northwest, quit. When someone asked him why he was giving up all his flight priveleges, he said what do I need them now for.