turbo will not seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Rick2001
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo will not seal

ok

Any suggestions on how to get the turbo and pedestal to seal. I have tried four time now and get a leak either on top or below the pedestal. I found out that the turbonetics turbo has a slightly larger drain hole than a stock. So it has to be dead on center with the o-ring.

I have no idea why the low side of the pedestal will not always seal. I clean everything well and pack the rings with vasoline. Gently put everything together and tighten evenly.

Has anyone made a gasket and done it that way?

Checked for warpage and the parts are true.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:33 PM
SVLERF250PWRSTRKE
Senior User
I had a friend that worked a 450work truck and it did this. I'll ask him and see if they ever resolved it.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
TN turbo has zip to do with the pedestal to engine seal. Still having a problem there?

As for the turbo to pedestal seal, might be a tightening sequence problem. Bolt the pedestal down, bolt turbo to pedestal, can be a bit tough but that is where most problems arise lining it up with the up pipe collector. Pry bars may help here to get things aligned. I had to R&R my GTP38R 3 times as the housing needed alignment, not the exhaust side but the impeller side. I finally got it indexed.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:23 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What torque are you tightening the bolts down to? And, are you doing it evenly in a sequence? When I do it, I'll start low, at like 10 lb-ft, go in a criss-cross pattern on the pedistal, then work my way up on torque in 3 even steps to the final torque. I also do the stepped sequence on the turbo and torque the turbo down before I tighten the collector clamp.

Also, where did you get the o-rings you're using? I've had good luck with stock ones from Ford, as well as o-rings from ITP and KCM.