Old 04-02-2008, 09:38 AM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test

The GPR LED Mod
As made famous by WMRiceman on
FTE (Mark)
I thought I would put together a how to on the GPR LED mod. I struggled with my first install
due to several minor problems. The majority of parts were gathered at Radio Shack, the rest
were donated by work. Here goes!

Parts
1 – LED (Radio Shack has two sizes and three colors in each size. These are the 5 mm size)
5 mm Red LED w/ Holder (p/n 276-0270)
5 mm Green LED w/ Holder (p/n 276-0271)
5 mm Orange LED w Holder (p/n 276-0272)
1 – Automotive Inline Fuse Holder for 5x20 mm fuses (p/n 270-1238)
1 –500 ma (½ Amp) 5x20 mm Fuse (p/n 276-1061)
3 – Red Butt Connectors
1 – Large Red Ring Terminal
1 – Medium Red Ring Terminal
18 ga or Larger Red Wire (Length dependent on mounting location)
18 ga or Larger Black Wire (Length dependent on mounting location)
1 – Ό ID O Ring (Optional)
(The parts I bought. IIRC they were about $6)
Tools
Drill
7/32” Drill Bit
Stripper/Crimper
Ό Drive Ratchet
5/16” Ό Drive Socket
1/2” Ό Drive Socket
Directions
1 – Find a suitable location for the LED and drill your hole.
Be sure to check behind the hole
for clearance and hidden wires etc!!!
In addition don’t do what I did when drilling. See the
photo for how the chuck damaged my pod as I drilled.
(Completed install of the A pillar pod mount) (A close up of the A pillar pod mount)
(“The Scratch” This is also a good opportunity to see how the o ring finished off the mod)
(Completed install of the in dash mount)
When finished drilling check for clearance and drill a larger hole if necessary. I used a pressure
fit hold for my LED so I didn’t have to use the nut and washer provided with the kit. This
worked very well for me and the threads have quite a grip on the pod. The o ring took up all
possible gaps between the LED and the pod.
2 – Run the hot wire (generally red) to the GPR relay under the hood. This is located in the
center of the valley. Be sure to run enough wire.
3 – Run the ground wire (generally black) to the ground for your gauges, dash, etc. This is
located just behind the fuse panel cover on the right. Be sure to run enough wire.
4 – Trim wires that will be attached to LED to length.

5 – EASILY FORGOTTEN – Run the red and black wires through the mounting hole
AND the o ring.
6 - Use a red butt connector to join the red wire to the red lead on the LED. Use another red butt
connector to join the black wire to the black lead on the LED.
(Butt connectors joined and in place) (A Close up of the butt connectors)
7 – Adjust your black wire and attach as necessary.
Don’t pull too hard and rip the wires out
of the butt connector on the LED end!!!
Cut the wire to length when satisfied and attach the
small red ring terminal (Mine was blue)
8 – Remove the 5/16” bolt and place ring terminal on bolt. Reinstall.
(Wire cut, terminal connected, and installed. See Arrow)
9 – Attach the large red ring terminal to one end of the fuse holder. I chose the female end, but it
doesn’t matter.
10 – Remove the ½” nut off the GPR and place the ring terminal on the connection. This should
be the last ring terminal before the nut. (The highest in the stack) Retighten connection.
(Fuse installed. See arrow)
11 - Adjust your red wire and attach as necessary. I attached mine to the wire hider where the
hood meets the cowl.
Don’t pull too hard and rip the wires out of the butt connector on the
LED end!!!
Cut the wire to length when satisfied and attach the final red butt connector joining
the fuse holder and the red wire.
12 – Do a final check for fitment and completion and install the fuse.

13 – Try it out! Hopefully your first try goes better than mine ; )

Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 AM
sflem849
Posting Guru

No pics...

Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Here is the mod as a .pdf file. It was too long typed out and it didn't do pics if I copy pasted.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:45 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Look, it is three pages.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:10 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
The GPR LED Mod
FTE (Mark)
I thought I would put together a how to on the GPR LED mod. I struggled with my first install due to several minor problems. The majority of parts were gathered at Radio Shack, the rest were donated by work. Here goes!

Parts
1 – LED (Radio Shack has two sizes and three colors in each size. These are the 5 mm size)
3 – Red Butt Connectors

(The parts I bought. I chose the orange to match the WTS light. IIRC they were about $6)

Tools
Drill
7/32” Drill Bit
Stripper/Crimper
Ό Drive Ratchet
5/16” Ό Drive Socket
1/2” Ό Drive Socket

Directions
Be sure to check behind the hole for clearance and hidden wires etc!!! In addition don’t do what I did when drilling. See the photo for how the chuck damaged my pod as I drilled.

(Completed install of the A pillar pod mount)

(A close up of the A pillar pod mount)

(“The Scratch” This is also a good opportunity to see how the o ring finished off the mod)

When finished drilling check for clearance and drill a larger hole if necessary. I used a pressure fit hold for my LED so I didn’t have to use the nut and washer provided with the kit. This worked very well for me and the threads have quite a grip on the pod. The o ring took up all possible gaps between the LED and the pod.

2 – Run the hot wire (generally red) to the GPR relay under the hood. This is located in the center of the valley. Be sure to run enough wire.

3 – Run the ground wire (generally black) to the ground for your gauges, dash, etc. This is located just behind the fuse panel cover on the right. Be sure to run enough wire.

5 – EASILY FORGOTTEN – Run the red and black wires through the mounting hole AND the o ring.

6 - Use a red butt connector to join the red wire to the red lead on the LED. Use another red butt connector to join the black wire to the black lead on the LED.

(Butt connectors joined and in place) (A Close up of the butt connectors)

Don’t pull too hard and rip the wires out of the butt connector on the LED end!!! Cut the wire to length when satisfied and attach the small red ring terminal (Mine was blue)

9 – Attach the large red ring terminal to one end of the fuse holder. I chose the female end, but it doesn’t matter.

10 – Remove the ½” nut off the GPR and place the ring terminal on the connection. This should be the last ring terminal before the nut. (The highest in the stack) Retighten connection.

11 - Adjust your red wire and attach as necessary. I attached mine to the wire hider where the hood meets the cowl. Don’t pull too hard and rip the wires out of the butt connector on the LED end!!! Cut the wire to length when satisfied and attach the final red butt connector joining the fuse holder and the red wire.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:14 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
The GPR LED Mod
FTE (Mark)
I thought I would put together a how to on the GPR LED mod. I struggled with my first install due to several minor problems. The majority of parts were gathered at Radio Shack, the rest were donated by work. Here goes!

Parts
3 – Red Butt Connectors

(The parts I bought. I chose the orange to match the WTS light. IIRC they were about $6)

Tools
Drill
7/32” Drill Bit
Stripper/Crimper
Ό Drive Ratchet
5/16” Ό Drive Socket
1/2” Ό Drive Socket

Directions
Be sure to check behind the hole for clearance and hidden wires etc!!! In addition don’t do what I did when drilling. See the photo for how the chuck damaged my pod as I drilled.

When finished drilling check for clearance and drill a larger hole if necessary. I used a pressure fit hold for my LED so I didn’t have to use the nut and washer provided with the kit. This worked very well for me and the threads have quite a grip on the pod. The o ring took up all possible gaps between the LED and the pod.

2 – Run the hot wire (generally red) to the GPR relay under the hood. This is located in the center of the valley. Be sure to run enough wire.

3 – Run the ground wire (generally black) to the ground for your gauges, dash, etc. This is located just behind the fuse panel cover on the right. Be sure to run enough wire.

5 – EASILY FORGOTTEN – Run the red and black wires through the mounting hole AND the o ring.

6 - Use a red butt connector to join the red wire to the red lead on the LED. Use another red butt connector to join the black wire to the black lead on the LED.

(Butt connectors joined and in place)

(Closeup of butt connectors joined and in place)

Don’t pull too hard and rip the wires out of the butt connector on the LED end!!! Cut the wire to length when satisfied and attach the small red ring terminal (Mine was blue)

9 – Attach the large red ring terminal to one end of the fuse holder. I chose the female end, but it doesn’t matter.

10 – Remove the ½” nut off the GPR and place the ring terminal on the connection. This should be the last ring terminal before the nut. (The highest in the stack) Retighten connection.

11 - Adjust your red wire and attach as necessary. I attached mine to the wire hider where the hood meets the cowl. Don’t pull too hard and rip the wires out of the butt connector on the LED end!!! Cut the wire to length when satisfied and attach the final red butt connector joining the fuse holder and the red wire.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:16 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
The GPR LED Mod
As made famous by WMRiceman on FTE (Mark)

Parts
3 – Red Butt Connectors

Tools
Drill
7/32” Drill Bit
Stripper/Crimper
Ό Drive Ratchet
5/16” Ό Drive Socket
1/2” Ό Drive Socket

Directions

(Butt connectors joined and in place)

(Closeup of butt connectors joined and in place)