Cleaning Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 09:39 PM
Bmun
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Fuel Injectors

Does anyone know of an effective way to clean fuel injectors on my '91 F150 5.0 at home? I feel like they may be my problem with coughing etc. under a lugging condition. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

Old 09-19-2002, 05:03 AM
theonlybull
Posting Guru
Cleaning Fuel Injectors

Old 09-21-2002, 08:56 PM
ukrbyk
New User
Cleaning Fuel Injectors

Caughing under lugging condition, you say.... Does not sound like an injectors problem. To my best knowledge, they provide constant volume of fuel pumped through, load or no load. Most of the power pick-up comes from timing and air flow.
If I may suggest, I would start with this:
1. check air filter
2. check spark plugs (you can quite well "clean" the electrodes with a household butane torch just by burning the residue away)
3. check wires - sometimes (if they are not generally old and just timed out anyway) you can see a leaking wire if you run engine in a pitch black area - it literally drains blue lightnings on engine.
4. fuel filter!! when was it replaced? I had a Taurus that I had to replace it almost twice a year.
5. check timing. caughing is a general sign of poor timing. you may have a slip in timing belt - if you have one, or timing chain is stratched, or tensioner does not hold any more.
6. when was the last time you primed your fuel system to get rid of water?
7. hate to say this, but you may have lost efficiency fuel pump, pressure can be checked in a shop, but now that costs money.
if all this checks out just fine, and you still have that itch to clean injectors, the least expensive is to use 3-4 tankfulls with stp fuel injector cleaner added every time. it's a very good quality product, manufactured by very old company (studebacker/packard) and costs some $2 a bottle.
you can have a buddy running engine while you spray cleaner into throttle intake. i have noticed that they started selling stronger cleaners that have to be injected into either fuel rack - you'll need a coupling to do so, or into air intake hose which may be easier to do.
i had my cars' injectors cleaned in chain shops and private shops - they do it by injecting cleaner or spraying it in - some 6 times, every time lost 40 - 60 bucks, had NO positive result.
the only right way to clean injectors is to find a shop that does: a)ultrasound cleaning and b)flow tests injectors. but then you may consider replacing them, as this cleaning is not cheap.
but as i said - just does not sound like injectors. by the way, i installed 2 k&n air filters on 2 of my cars, 90000 and 160000 mileage - and i could rip tires on younger one again! have fun.