1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Weird things you hear at car shows...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:33 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Weird things you hear at car shows...

Several years ago I was at a mall show of the San Antonio Horseless Carriage Club. I was in the Alamo A's at the time.The Horseless club tried to always have one display of a frame up resto. they have to put a crate on the frame and someone pushes the car into the mall. This couple walked slowly around the frame and drive train only "car" and the lady said, "Wow there wasn't much to this one", and the husband agreed,"no, there sure wasn't". It was all I could do to keep from laughing in their face. This goes to show you-not everyone will appreciate all the hard work you do on your project-some of them don't have a clue.
Later, Mike

Old 03-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Yeah, Birdman, my favorite one is " I had one EXACTLY like that" Yeah right One time at a show a guy looked at my truck and seen the Y-8 valve cover decals and Motorsports breather and said " That looks pretty good, but I knew it was not a Ford motor since the distributor is in the back"

I tried to convince him that the original Y-blocks had the dist in the rear, but he knew it all.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:03 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Truxx1956
Yeah, Birdman, my favorite one is " I had one EXACTLY like that" Yeah right One time at a show a guy looked at my truck and seen the Y-8 valve cover decals and Motorsports breather and said " That looks pretty good, but I knew it was not a Ford motor since the distributor is in the back"

I tried to convince him that the original Y-blocks had the dist in the rear, but he knew it all.
Truxx....we know you've been hoarding those ol' 360 Mopar motors for a loooooong time.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about "I can't believe the exhaust shop wanted $30 to bend some pipe for me so I made my exhaust out of electrical conduit"

Old 03-30-2008, 08:49 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
my personal favorite is when people point out all the crap wrong with my truck or car as if I had no idea abot it. example "you know it looks pretty good but I couldn't help but notice you've got a little bit of rust coming up around the rear fender." "really, are you sure? Well I'll be damn there is some rust there. Heck I thought fo sure I put enough bondo to cover all the rust up. And to think I spent all morning cleaning and waxing and polishing and did'nt notice that, but thank you for noticing I'll be sure to fix it first thing tommorrow. by the way what color would you like me to paint it, Jerk Off." The car I am refering to is a 68 camaro. I have heard people tell me they had one just like it only it was a 66 or a 65 and they sold it. I just tell them that is to bad as it would be worth alot of money if they still had it as it is the only one in existance. Also a friend of mine has a 72 road runner. When we would go out in that car everyone we talked to asked if it had a hemi. I can't believe how much hemis are going for because there must be a million of em out there as everyone that talks to him either had one or new someone that had one. and if I hear one more person say they had a 429 hemi or a 427 hemi I will have to be commited because I will go crazy on them.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:18 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's been a coupl ago but i was at the cruise for charity one year with my cuz who had his v-8 ch-v s-10 entered in and me with a 65 falcon ranchero . well anyway one of the know it all tuner punks comes up and points at lil' bobs alternator and say's " nice turbo , how much boost you running " wtf ???? well being the smart a-- i say 150 amps before bob could get a word out and of course his " turbo was running more amps " ....................................

Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

My favorite is the kid who looked at the flat v-8 and said he didn't know Ford made a V-6 hemi back then. This past weekend at the local cruise in, some 20 ish young lady was writing things in the dust on cars (it's always dusty in Colorado).

Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rhopper
This past weekend at the local cruise in, some 20 ish young lady was writing things in the dust on cars
If I could have caught my stepdaughter and a friend of hers, I would have strangled them for doing this to my fire engine red 83 Ranger. It took some serious buffing to remove the scratches.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:47 PM
g84t8f1
Elder User
It was not at a car show but I had a 1950 hudson.I was working on it when a couple stoped and looked at it.We talked alittle about it.Then came the question.Who made this ford or chevy?I about fell over.
Art

Old 03-31-2008, 08:07 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 124 Likes on 63 Posts
I do not do car shows. I am a driver and we all know why. Just one short story/example. My friend David took his freshly restored black 40 Ford convertible (pic of it in my gallery on the road with my 38 Woodie) to show it at Hershey back in the 80's. He was livid when he lost points for just red oxide prime on the underside of the floor pan rather than color. It was an original car prior to his restoration and that is the way that it was. He ended up with a second not a first as he was after. We were headed back after the awards banquet and were first up on a head on accident between a couple on a motorcycle and an older women who obviously did not see them and took a left turn into their oncoming lane. The only thing that I can say is that they were all still alive when I left the scene after doing the first aid. As we pulled away from the scene all was real quiet in the car. I finally said to David "now how much does a first or second really matter in the grander scheme of things".

As a postscript to the above. there were some plants documented in the Ford V8 club judging that did not always shoot color on the underside of the bodies and that 40 was bought by and still owned last I knew by Reggie Jackson.

Drive it and enjoy it.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:11 PM
Bob at warsaw
Senior User
Just smile at them, and keep going

Old 04-01-2008, 12:34 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My favorite was when this guy tried to impress his girlfriend with his knowledge of motors. He let her know that my 350 (it's a Ford 289) was fuel injected (edelbrock carb) and on nitrous oxide (wrong again!) and was pushing at least 400 horsepower (I wish!). I didn't have the heart to embarass the guy, so I told him, "you really know your engines!"

Old 04-01-2008, 04:07 PM
birdman1
Elder User

car shows

Originally Posted by 49willard
I do not do car shows. I am a driver and we all know why. Just one short story/example. My friend David took his freshly restored black 40 Ford convertible (pic of it in my gallery on the road with my 38 Woodie) to show it at Hershey back in the 80's. He was livid when he lost points for just red oxide prime on the underside of the floor pan rather than color. It was an original car prior to his restoration and that is the way that it was. He ended up with a second not a first as he was after. We were headed back after the awards banquet and were first up on a head on accident between a couple on a motorcycle and an older women who obviously did not see them and took a left turn into their oncoming lane. The only thing that I can say is that they were all still alive when I left the scene after doing the first aid. As we pulled away from the scene all was real quiet in the car. I finally said to David "now how much does a first or second really matter in the grander scheme of things".

As a postscript to the above. there were some plants documented in the Ford V8 club judging that did not always shoot color on the underside of the bodies and that 40 was bought by and still owned last I knew by Reggie Jackson.

Drive it and enjoy it.
Amen to that,not getting T=boned makes you the winner of the day. It's too easy to get wrapped around the axle over the small stuff.
Take care, Mike

Old 04-01-2008, 04:22 PM
birdman1
Elder User

car shows

Originally Posted by 55 f350
it's been a coupl ago but i was at the cruise for charity one year with my cuz who had his v-8 ch-v s-10 entered in and me with a 65 falcon ranchero . well anyway one of the know it all tuner punks comes up and points at lil' bobs alternator and say's " nice turbo , how much boost you running " wtf ???? well being the smart a-- i say 150 amps before bob could get a word out and of course his " turbo was running more amps " ....................................
Amen to that. I just got started back up with old vehicles but folks are amazing sometime amazingly dumb. I don't mind the lost ones. it's the smart butts and the braggers that pull your chain. "Well Fords or whatever are OK if that's all you have or can afford." I had heard all this junk from a guy one day so I ask, what do you have? He spouts out make and model and I calmly said, "Oh yeah, I bought one of those...." He said, yeah do you still have it? No, I BURNED It. That was so much fun,
Later Mike

Old 04-01-2008, 04:31 PM
birdman1
Elder User

That's some great stories, I think the early Model A's had the emergency brake on the left side and folks would do the I had one just like that except...and here comes a string of differences including the color, but other than that, mine was just like that one. The brake question would come up and you wanted to say , No in the spring of '63 it moved to the right side overnight. We got in the car to go to a club meeting and the darn brake had switched sides. Who'd a thought it??
Later Mike

Quick Reply: Weird things you hear at car shows...