6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 Ford 6.4 Lariat or Dodge 6.7 Laramie

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 PM
mastercaster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gopedoligist
mastercaster, not callin ya a lyer, but i just got rid of my 2007 dodge and came back to ford. ive had a 7.3, 6.0, and now a 6.4 (all in my gallery). other than the milage, this is by far the best all around truck ive ever owned. plus one of my best buddys has a 6.7... we tow the same 8k trailer with them, and mine absolutley owns his!! the ford just drives like a truck. the dodge is influnced much more by the trailer. the ford never gets pushed around like the dodge does. and the 6.4 pulls way harder that the 6.7. any grade we climb i always leave him in the dust lol.. also the reason i got rid of my dodge is after i started towing 7-9k every weekend the dodge just fell apart! evevy weekend a new squeak or rattle.. 2 electrical issues and a check engine light (not the motor just a sensor). no thanks! u would think after owning 4 problem free fords i never would have left.. but i did... and now 8 months later im back!!
was your '07 a 5.9? my guess is that it was. that's like comparing a 6.0 to the 6.4 or 6.7. i'd put my 6.7 up against the 6.4 and feel quite comfortable doing so (and have).unloaded mine took a 6.4. i've driven both. have you, or just seen your buddy drive his? i'm not offended in any way by your statement. i believe each truck has it's pros and cons. and many of the things discussed is purely personal preference and cosmetic. i am smart enough to not be all over the "brand loyal" bandwagon. i didn't drive a srw dodge, so i can't comment on how it would handle a load. mine is a dually and tows everday excellently. i am never moved by the trailer. i loved the ride of the dodge and the ford. again purchase the truck that you think will be best for you and keep you on the road.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:18 PM
fordfish
Senior User
go drive them for a while...the dodge feels like your sitting on a park bench........I could watch the superbowl in my SD chair

Old 03-31-2008, 02:03 PM
mastercaster
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordfish
go drive them for a while...the dodge feels like your sitting on a park bench........I could watch the superbowl in my SD chair
i drive one everyday. i guess that is what i mean when i say to each his own. i find the seats in my dodge very comfortable. i also thought the seats were very comfortable in my '05 6.0l. some don't. you can find posts on here about guys that dislike ford seats, and guys on the dodge site that dislike the dodge seats.. just personal preference. that may be a great reason for you to not buy a truck, but maybe to the original poste, the seats aren't a problem in either. he can get in the truck and see and feel the differences between the two. i was trying to comment on the things like the motor trans. and so on. things that you may not get a full feel for while test driving. most folks don't test drive long enough to do a good hand calulated fuel mileage report, or get to tow a load and run it through it's paces. i am not on here for a pissing match between ford and dodge. both have ups and downs. just trying to provide input from a new dodge owners perspective to a possible purchaser of a new dodge or ford. have fun watching the superbowl from your sd.. great input by the way.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:32 PM
firehawk198
Elder User
Originally Posted by mastercaster
. i believe each truck has it's pros and cons. and many of the things discussed is purely personal preference and cosmetic. i am smart enough to not be all over the "brand loyal" bandwagon. i didn't drive a srw dodge, so i can't comment on how it would handle a load. mine is a dually and tows everday excellently. i am never moved by the trailer. i loved the ride of the dodge and the ford. again purchase the truck that you think will be best for you and keep you on the road.
Agree check out what works best for you and good luck.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:52 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordfish
AMEN to that! My 06 Dodge seats were freaking hard! Fine in town doing 30 minute trips, but mail tail bone was killing me every time I went on a trip! Absolutely hated those seats!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM
aggiect01
Senior User
New Purchase Decision

Originally Posted by LAPII
Thanks aggiect01, that info on the re-design may have just been what i was looking for.
I bought my first new truck after graduation, a 2002 Ram 2500 and a few months later the new one came out and I always regreted not waiting. I didn't think it would bother me that much but it did. The price was excellent on the Dodge $25,500 brand new but it crapped out on me at 45K, trans,and a/c 3 times. It will also hurt resale if that matters to you. The payload in the Dodge SRW was a fair amount lower than Ford's and I think the looks speak for themselves.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:46 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 66stang351
I just towed a 6 mile 6% grade with 16,000 pounds behind me and maintained 40mph never touched the brakes the whole way down. Tow/Haul works just fine on my '08.
I can belive that. My dad has did that with our fifth wheel. It doesnt way 16k more like 11k but it easily held 45 mph.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:34 PM
dodgeny
Senior User
i have an 04.5 dodge ram cummins- almost 85,000 miles on her. truck is far from stock and has never let me down- truck has been to the dealer once in four years- for a tsb a door weather stripping-that is it! no squeaks, no rattles-truck is solid. truck always starts, drives 100% and has never left me stranded on the side of the road. does the truck ride harsh- sure- but it is a 3/4 ton diesel with two axles- i knew this when i bought it.when the truck craps out in 700,000 miles or so- i'll pull the engine and rebuild it and also go through the body and the frame- i will never buy a new diesel with all the emissions crap- but that is just me

Old 03-31-2008, 05:54 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
dodgeny:

Then why does your public profile state that you own a F-250 with 6.0 diesel. Sir, the 6.0 does have "i will never buy a new diesel with all the emissions crap- but that is just me"

Sometimes I just have to try harder to understand, or do I?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:56 PM
richfaa
Elder User
The Ford is the better truck.. The Dodge has the better diesel engine. We needed the toughest Truck unfortunatly it had a powerstroke diesel in it. Everything is a trade off.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:10 PM
ASHNBAK
New User
Just thought I'd jump in here because I haven't posted in a long time. I too have a Dodge, 05' Dually, that I purchased because of the 6.0 scare. I was waiting for a few years to make my purchase and needless to say was dissapointed with the 6.0 troubles. So far the truck has been great, with no rattles and no mechanical problems at all. I'm at 82,000 miles as of today. I was just down at the local dealer looking at a 08' FX4 F350 this past weekend. What a great looking truck!!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:13 PM
dodgeny
Senior User
rmosso1-because it was my dads truck-(he won the truck in a raffle!!) i joined the site to learn about the problems,etc of the 6.0 engine.that is why it is in my profile. i inherited the truck when my dad passed. i just forgot to edit it from my profile. truck was sold on ebay- a 2000 ford excusrsion was bought along with a 5.9 cummins engine-to be later installed in the excursion- for the wife- she loves the excursion and she wants a cummins in it!! i will grant her, her wish, when the 7.3 starts costing me money and or problems!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:58 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
FWIW, if anybody is interested in safety, the dodge is the ONLY fullsize of the big 3 to have side curtains available.

However, I bet if you wait a few years, all the mfg's will have 'em.

Just another angle to look at it from :-)

Old 03-31-2008, 08:41 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Here are some other features that are factory from Ford (many included in the base price of the Lariat) that the Dodge does not come from the factory with (dealer can add some of them for extra $s):

-Bedrail cap
-sidesteps
-rear sway bar
-color matched fender flares
-keypad entry (friend with an '08 6.7 locked himself out of his truck with it running because of the stupid remote buttons on the Dodge key instead of a fob)
-finned aluminum diff cover
-18 or 20" forged aluminum wheels
-F550 front control arms and higher front axle rating
-rear hitch that is strong enough to be rated independent of being attached to the bumper (like the Dodge's)
-don't underestimate the importance of a factory integrated brake controller that works in concert with and gets input from the ABS system.
-the single most configurable truck on a factory order there is, and by a long shot, the other two aren't even close here.
-and let's not forget which one looks better!

Check out the thickness of the boxed/engineered frame on the Dodge at the start of the bed vs. the Ford. I was looking at how to install tork lift tie downs on the friend's truck -- VERY then metal -- sure it's strong, as long as it doesn't get damaged -- once it gets banged up you can throw that thin-wall boxed strength out the window...

And probably the most important of all: This is Dodge's 1st year with an EGR, Ford's had 'em since '03 and GM since '04.5. Both Ford and GM owners across the boards complain about EGR problems and the only solution is to disable/remove them. Ford is the ONLY manufacturer that has done something about this with it's pre-EGR cooler catalytic converter. It drys out the exhaust stream prior to the cooler. The other two manufacturers will be going to this set up, wait and see...

friends with 6.7s that throw CELs = 2
friends with 6.4s that throw CELs = 0

Keep doing your homework, the Dodges sell the cheapest for a reason...

Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 PM
mastercaster
Senior User
i didn't know they sold the cheapest. i struck about the same type of deal on my dodge that i could have had on a new similarly equipped ford. and just look how well ford has done with all of their egr experience. they NEVER got it figured out with the 6.0, so it's basically like this is their first one too. the bedrail caps, sidesteps, etc. that you mention, can all be added cheaper and usually of better quality in the aftermarket. i'll take my line-x over the rail over my ford plastic bed caps (that get all scratched up in no time for those who work these trucks) any day of the week. and my exhaust brake over the factory brake controller. much of what is stated is again just cosmetic bs. i am not going to buy a different truck than what would serve me best for 20" wheels or color matched fender flares for god's sake, or even for overall looks. i'll take the one that will keep my business running, income coming in, and do it with the least amount of trouble. the 6.0 didn't do it for me. maybe the 6.4 would have, but i wasn't ready to give international another chance yet. i think some are so short sighted they can't see past the ford emblem (which will peel) on the truck. it really is possible that another brand could serve as a better vehichle for someone. i believe some guys on here would drive a turd just if it had the right name stuck on it.

Quick Reply: 2008 Ford 6.4 Lariat or Dodge 6.7 Laramie