1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front coil springs....lb ratings

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:25 PM
PhilfromFlorida
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front coil springs....lb ratings

I recently installed a Reunel front bumper (see my last thread on stock bumper opinion). Earlier advice was that the stock springs/suspension on my 06 F350 4x4 diesel would suffice. My son and I installed the bumper and it looks great but it did drop the front end a little more than I would have liked. I’ve looked into spacers and shocks (2.5 inch lift) to raise the front end (it’s sold as a leveling kit). I’ve also looked into replacement coil springs. Kits from Danahoe Racing (springs and shocks…front and rear) are about $750 with free shipping. Others, such as Rancho and some others I can’t remember right now are about $200 just for the springs…name brand springs cost more….(dual energy, easy ride…that firm up when off-roading).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

I’ve read many threads about different strength springs. I guess there are stronger springs with the camper package and snow plow package and there are heavy service springs and extra heavy service springs. I went to my ford dealer and spoke with the parts department. They were very helpful and they gave me a print out which I want to share with all of you and then ask for some advice if I may. First, they had no way of telling me what part number springs I had without the VIN#. I had the VIN# with me and they looked it up…

<o></o>

For my truck (06 F350 4x4 diesel) part number 5C3Z 5310-DA (5600 lb.)

<o></o>

There are 8 possible springs that can be installed. The weight and codes are as follows:

7000 lb spring code A

6500 lb spring code B

6000 lb spring code C

5600 lb spring code D (my current stock springs)

5200 lb spring code T

4800 lb spring code V

4400 lb spring code W

4000 lb spring code X

<o></o>

Again, as he looked up my vin #, he (told) me my springs were 5600 lb rated, but on the printout he has highlighted 6500 lb code B for some reason (he was having problems printing so he could have gotten things mixed up) The printout does not have my vin # on it.

<o></o>

I asked him “what pound rating are snow plow, heavy service, extra heavy service or camper springs?” He could not tell me specifically because they were not classified by name, just number and pound rating. If I had one of those classes he could tell me exactly which one it was by my vin # (as he did with my specific truck).

<o></o>

1<SUP>st</SUP> question: my bumper weighs about 275 lbs (maybe a little more). I plan on adding a winch (add another 140 lbs). WHICH SPRING SHOULD I INSTALL. (should I go for the 7000 lb spring????)

<o></o>

2<SUP>nd</SUP> question: I asked if I needed different size shocks. He said no. IS HE RIGHT? He told me there shouldn’t be any difference in the height of the spring while not compressed. I’ve heard that Rancho shocks aren’t that great anyway. Should I just replace them?

<o></o>

3rd question: I have read that with the heavier springs the front end will be nearly level with the back (without an aftermarket bumper, plow, etc…) So, if I install the 7000 lb springs the ride height should be about what it was without the aftermarket bumper, right? Or maybe even a little higher than that?

<o></o>

Does anyone know the coil spring pound rating for:

Camper package

Snow plow package

Heavy service package

Extra heavy service package (I’m guessing 7,000 lb)

<o></o>

FYI……Cost of each spring about $82 (6500 lb)

<o></o>

I'll post the picture of my truck in a couple of minutes.

Thanks for any advice/thoughts you might have.

Phil.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:30 PM
PhilfromFlorida
Junior User
Old 03-27-2008, 06:37 PM
HarleyFXDL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Phil, I have an 2006 F-350XL 5.4L 4x4. I know I have the snow plow pkg on my truck. If you want to run my VIN with the Ford dealer you would know the rating of the plow pkg spring. Also did you check the door jam sticker to see if the rating you have (5600 lbs) matches that?

Last edited by HarleyFXDL; 03-27-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-27-2008, 06:40 PM
PhilfromFlorida
Junior User
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 5957259" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>HarleyFXDL</TD><TD class=alt2>Hi Phil, I have an 2006 F-350XL 5.4L 4x4. I know I have the snow plow pkg on my truck. If you want to run my VIN with the Ford dealer you would know the rating of the plow pkg spring.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks Harley.....If you PM it to me I'll take it in tomorrow morning and have them run it and I'll post it by 1200.

Phil.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:42 PM
PhilfromFlorida
Junior User
BTW, how does your truck sit without the plow attached?

Phil.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 PM
havasulew
Junior User
Hi Phil,
When I ordered my truck, I ordered the heavy service front springs, VIN sticker on door jamb says they are 6000lb. I have also added a fabtech leveling kit. The measurement from the ground to top of wheel lip is about 42.5", measurement from wheel lip to axle center line is about 27". This latter measurement is more consistent because I also have replaced the factory tires with BFG 305X65-18 all terrains. I really didn't notice any difference in the ride before or after bumper and leveling kit installations. The truck still sits just a little high in the rear but it looks fine to me. If you put a level on the bed rail and jack up the front of the truck using the bumper, bring the front up to the desired height, take measurements before and after to determine the amount of lift you may want. I'll see if I can e-mail you a picture of my current set-up.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My '06 F-350 has the plow package and came with 6000# springs. These work well for normal driving and are the *mimimum* that I'd recommend for a plow or heavy winch bumper.

An F-350 diesel truck will not sit level with the 6000# springs installed. My truck sits level only when towing a heavy trailer with a tongue weight of 1000#. You would have to up the spring rate or install a leveling kit if you wanted the truck to sit level.

The 6000# front springs still give a decent ride (for a 1-ton truck) and might lift the front end of the truck by an inch or so. The 6500# springs would be harsher and might require you to get better shocks. Either spring would work OK.

Lou Braun

Old 03-27-2008, 07:09 PM
havasulew
Junior User
Website won't let me send you e-mail. Check my gallery. I also don't have a permanent winch mounted. I use a portable that I can use either front or rear. Find yourself a 140lb person to stand on the bumper when taking both measurements.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:13 PM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
i'll run the vin numbers for you and compare the springs and see what you got.

Ed

Old 03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
jerzydiver
Senior User
I am getting ready to add the 7000lbs (A) springs as an upgrade from the 6000lb springs. you can get then a lot cheaper online as i got both for under a hundred. try this site

http://gentiliniford2.reachlocal.net...me=Order-Parts

Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 PM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
[QUOTE=jerzydiver]I am getting ready to add the 7000lbs (A) springs as an upgrade from the 6000lb springs. you can get then a lot cheaper online as i got both for under a hundred. try this site

http://gentiliniford2.reachlocal.net/evp.cfm?pageid=57460&pname=Order-Parts[/QUOTE]

hmmm, I usally wont sell springs online, they weight to much so any value save is lost because of shipping. so be careful before you buy.

Ed

Old 03-27-2008, 08:04 PM
PhilfromFlorida
Junior User
Guys, thanks for the info. I told the ford parts guy that all I needed was the printout and my fellow forum members would do the rest. It looks like I need at least the 6500 lb rated springs. I will measure everything tomorrow and see exactly where my truck needs to be. I don't mind the front end being stock looking (lower than the back), but I don't want it so low that it looks odd and I know it really will with the winch added to the bumper. And, I don't want the front end bottoming out either.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 5957418" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Lou Braun</TD><TD class=alt2>My '06 F-350 has the plow package and came with 6000# springs. These work well for normal driving and are the *mimimum* that I'd recommend for a plow or heavy winch bumper.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lou, thank you for this info. Anyone else out there with camper packages, heavy service package, extra heavy service package...with known spring numbers?

Anyone know what the average plow setup weighs?

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 5957444" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>FTE/PARTS-GUY</TD><TD class=alt2>i'll run the vin numbers for you and compare the springs and see what you got.

Ed</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks Ed. If anyone wants to post their vin #'s I think it would be great to see exact correlations between "packages" and actual spring numbers. I see this topic come up on various forums often and I've never seen them rated by their lb. ratings but only by their package notation. I think it will be a great help for everyone to know exactly which packages come with which springs.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 5957567" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>jerzydiver</TD><TD class=alt2>I am getting ready to add the 7000lbs (A) springs as an upgrade from the 6000lb springs. you can get then a lot cheaper online as i got both for under a hundred. try this site

http://gentiliniford2.reachlocal.ne...ame=Order-Parts</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'll check it out. Thanks.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 5957377" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>havasulew</TD><TD class=alt2>Hi Phil,
When I ordered my truck, I ordered the heavy service front springs, VIN sticker on door jamb says they are 6000lb. I have also added a fabtech leveling kit. The measurement from the ground to top of wheel lip is about 42.5", measurement from wheel lip to axle center line is about 27". This latter measurement is more consistent because I also have replaced the factory tires with BFG 305X65-18 all terrains. I really didn't notice any difference in the ride before or after bumper and leveling kit installations. The truck still sits just a little high in the rear but it looks fine to me. If you put a level on the bed rail and jack up the front of the truck using the bumper, bring the front up to the desired height, take measurements before and after to determine the amount of lift you may want. I'll see if I can e-mail you a picture of my current set-up.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I guess heavy service springs = snow plow springs = 6000 lb. I'll check your gallery. Thanks.

Phil.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
PhilfromFlorida
Junior User
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 5957677" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>FTE/PARTS-GUY</TD><TD class=alt2>hmmm, I usally wont sell springs online, they weight to much so any value save is lost because of shipping. so be careful before you buy.

Ed
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I agree. And, $82 per coil + tax from Ford seems reasonable to me. I'll have to see how much they charge to install them. I'd rather have ford do the installation due to warranty issues, etc... BTW, I only live approx. 3.5 miles from my dealership and I've never had issues with them. I figure it's good will to let them do the work anyway.....It's not like I'm asking them to install a 8 inch lift kit or anything like that...The springs are ford parts and ford knows ford (hopefully)

Phil.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:28 PM
PhilfromFlorida
Junior User
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 5957420" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>havasulew</TD><TD class=alt2>Website won't let me send you e-mail. Check my gallery. I also don't have a permanent winch mounted. I use a portable that I can use either front or rear. Find yourself a 140lb person to stand on the bumper when taking both measurements.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Nice setup. I told my wife I was going to use her to check drop measurements (130 lbs for her and a 10 lb weight should do it)

Phil.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:22 PM
HarleyFXDL
Senior User
Hi Phil, I just got the truck and have not installed the plow yet. I tried to PM you but i get a message that states I can not send a PM.....go figure?

Quick Reply: Front coil springs....lb ratings