2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission slip from 1st to 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:08 PM
BigBlackLT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission slip from 1st to 2nd

Hey gang. I'm at my wits end! I got a 2006 Licoln Mark LT with 39K miles. After the tranny warms up the transmission slips between 1st and 2nd gear. It's been in the shop for OVER A MONTH?!

the dealer has replaced the following and each time it still slips:

1. Valve body
2. Torque converter due to metal fragements in fluid and ANOTHER valve body
3. Clutches
4. Board
5. Piston
6. some black piece in the valve body with a plug on it.

Damn thing is still slipping. The lincoln dealer took it to the local ford dealer so they can scratch their heads on it.

I called Lincoln and after swearing that they had found the problem and it would be fixed yesterday.....it still slips! Now Lincoln said that some "next level of support" person will call me within 2 business days to work with me until the issue is resolved. When they asked me what Ford could do to resolve it, I said "let the dealer replace the tranny".

the truck is under bumper to bumper warranty to 50K and drivetrain to 70K (THANK GOD). And since it's Lincoln they have me in a loaner. But this still SUCKS! Anybody got any ideas or had similar problems?

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2008, 02:16 PM
BigBlackLT
New User
Exclamation transmission slip from 1st to 2nd

Almost forgot. The slip only happens between 2k and 2.5K RPM's lower or higher and it shifts fine. the tech is baffled along with me and everyone else in the service dept.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Kwattro
Junior User
Ridicurars! They've wasted so much time and money now it's beyond the point of diminished returns. They need to drop in a new assembled unit and give the customer their truck back, before the customer decideds to never drive a Ford product again! What about a lemon law BBLT?

Old 03-27-2008, 03:38 PM
BigBlackLT
New User
Originally Posted by Kwattro
Ridicurars! They've wasted so much time and money now it's beyond the point of diminished returns. They need to drop in a new assembled unit and give the customer their truck back, before the customer decideds to never drive a Ford product again! What about a lemon law BBLT?
Kwattro,

I sent an e-mail to one of the lemon law lawyer sites. From what I read it doesn't qualify for lemon law (has to be 24 mos or less in Florida) but it does qualify for Breech of Warranty. Dealer was supposed to call me today and tell me what the ford dealer found but I haven't heard sqwat so I'm waiting on a response from a lawyer now.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 AM
BigBlackLT
New User
well,

No call from the dealer yet. Anybody out there ever had these type of problems out of their F150/Mark LT.

Come on guys...I NEED HELP !

Old 03-28-2008, 01:45 PM
mercman86
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they need to get it over with and give you a new tranny! thats bs they changed enough parts that theres nothin left!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlackLT
well,

No call from the dealer yet. Anybody out there ever had these type of problems out of their F150/Mark LT.

Come on guys...I NEED HELP !
Here's a TSB referring to the 1st to 2nd shift. Is this what is happening?

<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: black 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1px solid"><TBODY><TR><TD>TSB data for: 2006 FORD F-150</TD></TR><TR><TD>Bulletin Number: 06227</TD></TR><TR><TD>Sequence Number: 10020676</TD></TR><TR><TD>Date: 19010101</TD></TR><TR><TD>Component Name: 103000 POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION</TD></TR><TR><TD>Make: FORD</TD></TR><TR><TD>Model: F-150</TD></TR><TR><TD>Year: 2006</TD></TR><TR><TD>Summary:</TD></TR><TR><TD>UN-COMMANDED TCC APPLY ON THE 1-2 SHIFT CAUSING PERCEPTION OF HESITATION AND/OR LACK OF POWER DURING SHIFT. *KB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I had this problem and the dealership updated the firmware in the computer and that solved it...

Old 03-29-2008, 08:40 PM
BigBlackLT
New User
They said they did the TSB on the 1st to 2nd shift. Still slipping.

I went and talked to the GM and he said if the ford dealership can't fix it by Tuesday, they have an 07 King Ranch that they would "swap me into".

What do you guys think? King Ranch has 21K miles, after market nav and satellite radio, TV, spray-in bedliner, 6" lift, 20" wheels, but my truck has a sunroof and this doesn't. Course mine has a 4" lift and 18" rims, no nav and no satellite radio. IF the offer it to me should I accept the swap or let the lawyer have at them?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:58 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Thumbs up

I went and talked to the GM and he said if the ford dealership can't fix it by Tuesday, they have an 07 King Ranch that they would "swap me into".

What do you guys think? King Ranch has 21K miles, after market nav and satellite radio, TV, spray-in bedliner, 6" lift, 20" wheels, but my truck has a sunroof and this doesn't. Course mine has a 4" lift and 18" rims, no nav and no satellite radio. IF the offer it to me should I accept the swap or let the lawyer have at them?
If it didn't cost you anything, and it was an even swap, I'd definitely consider it. However, if you don't think you'd be happy in it a year from now, don't.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:58 PM
azfordf100man
Elder User

Oooh, that's a tough call man, that truck you just described sounds awesome. If you have interest in it tell him you want to take it for a few days to see if you like it or not. It has less miles and is a year newer, but do you really like your current truck?

Mike

Old 03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
BigBlackLT
New User
Originally Posted by azfordf100man
Oooh, that's a tough call man, that truck you just described sounds awesome. If you have interest in it tell him you want to take it for a few days to see if you like it or not. It has less miles and is a year newer, but do you really like your current truck?

Mike
Mike, I LOVE MY LT....It's Black with the dove grey interior...chrome front & rear bumpers with the chrom strips. I get complements from everybody. From the kids with saggy pants to retirees....now.....Whether or not it's gonna cost me anything extra is a good question. I guess I won't know the answer until tomorrow. I still haven't heard back on my truck but they said at the latest Tue afternoon so they've got 1 more day. If they don't have it fixed, and they're not gonna try to knock me over the head on getting into the King Ranch, I'm definitely gonna take your advice and drive it for a couple days.

Even still I would love to know what's wrong with my tranny, if nothing else just to know. When he went in it the 2nd time he said he found metal fragments from the torque converter that weren't there before.

Could it be something outside the tranny causing the problem?

Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 PM
BigBlackLT
New User
Problem Resolved

Well,

I got a call from the Ford dealer that the lincoln dealer dropped my truck on. The tranny guy said the sealing ring was bad. Once the tranny warmed up, the ring restricted the pressure causing a poor shift between 1st and 2nd.

I'm supposed to pick up the truck tomorrow evening. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:31 AM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
They could've just dropped a tranny in this thing after the second visit there and all this would've been solved. Why would they offer you a swap to a King Ranch before trying a new transmission? Makes no sense to me at all.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:35 PM
BigBlackLT
New User
Originally Posted by ReForder
They could've just dropped a tranny in this thing after the second visit there and all this would've been solved. Why would they offer you a swap to a King Ranch before trying a new transmission? Makes no sense to me at all.
ReForder,

That was my question. The GM said that they asked twice for Ford to authorize a new tranny and Ford told them No. He said he'd rather take a couple grand loss on the swap than lose a customer and have me talking about a bad experience (I live in a town of about 100K). He then said with the money they already lost on labor, that it was worth it to do the vehicle swap since Ford was making them responsible for the continued labor cost and without knowing what the problem was, if they paid for the tranny and something else was wrong, they'd be seeing me back in there again. My buddy is also one of the sales managers who got me to trade my Chevy in on the Lincoln (don't know how much this helped).

I'm supposed to be picking it up this afternoon so we'll see if it's fixed or not. I'll definitely keep everyone posted because I've checked all the boards and no one else seems to have had this tranny problem.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 AM
mecnic
New User
I would not do the swap if the tranny is not fixed you may lose legal grounds seeing that the King ranch would be considered a used car and that changes your lemon law coverage. I would also persue the lemon law a littel more then a email to a lawyer most lemon law do not require the first problem to be exactly the same in the first two years just a warrenty claim even if the gave the blow off line of no problem found. I have found that most time it take more then one visit to get anything that is not obvious fixed

Quick Reply: transmission slip from 1st to 2nd