1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

58F100 turnsignals

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
58F100 turnsignals

I could sure use some help with getting this 58F100 turn signal switch working. I can't figure what's happening. I've got anOEM styled aftermarket turn signal switch from Dennis Carpenter and I can't get it working. I've got, I believe, good info on the color coding from the switch etc= red to stop switch,blue to flasher,yellow to left rear,white w/blue stripe to right front,green w/white stripe to left front, and green to right rear. I'm wiring this truck from scratch. I don't have any of the OEM switches-except this turn signal I guess-and I'm attempting to follow what I guess would be the basics-I've wired trucks before-I'm not an expert but the others still work fine. Here's the problem. After hooking up the switch wires as just described and as coincide with instructions as best I can see etc what I get is pretty weird. When I turn the lever for left or right turns I get both rear tailights flashing-simultaneously-and the front turn signals working fine. And secondly at this same time if I depress the brake pedal the before flashing lights all three- the one front turn and the two rear-all go "on" and quit flashing. And as I check the switch itself-it in fact is currrently, as installed, sending an actual current from both the yellow and green wires(left and right rear)simultaneusly as they come out of the switch itself? That seems odd. And why when I depress the brake pedal the flashing stops I don't know. Its indicated that the turn signal will "override" the brake lite? That's not happening. Ive goofed around with it for awhile, but I've run out of ideas at the moment. Sorry this is soo windy. Appreciate any ideas. I'm thinking that maybe the OEM wiring maybe has some sort of other switches or relay like things that I don't have, and maybe that's why the switch is acting so weird. but I don't know. I'm using the standard 1157? twin filament bulbs in the rear and the headlight filament seems to be working fine etc.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:59 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Usually if you have wierd acting lights the first thing I would check is ground. Make sure each light had a good ground to a good clean piece of metal. Also make sure you have a good ground from the body to the battery.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with Bob, check for good grounding. Do the flashers work? What kind of brake switch are you using?

Is there a separate wire for the brakes and turn signal? If so, you may have the rear ones backwards? i.e. The turn signal wire to the brake light and visa versa.

Do the running lights work? If they are as bright as the brake lights, something is likely backwards in the rear brake lights.

That is the best I can come up with without see it.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:44 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
I had the same problem. Spent a whole afternoon trying to fix it. I had to do with the wires being crossed I thought... Did your truck come with factory turn signals? Mine did not. So what I did I put separate turn signals on the rear as it was before I got my truck painted and fixed up. I like it now as it gives people behind me more notice that I am turning. It doesn't look too bad. See it in my gallery.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:52 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your grounds at each light. Had something similar on my 56 and of coarse my mechanic friend said it was my grounds and we all know he dosn't know what he is talking about. So after eating crow for lunch (not really) he was right (really).

Chuck

Old 03-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

I don't see a problem with the grounds, like I said I've done this before. But its true I don't have a ground from the "bed itself" to the frame. The cab etc yes, but not seperately for the bed and maybe that's contributing. I'll put one in. Can't have too many grounds. And I only run one wire back to the tailights for the Brake/turn signal connection for each side, and the other is the Tailight which operates with the headlights on and looks correct etc. I don't see a problem there. Its using the second filament in the bulb as I would expect. I was wondering if there weren't some sort of full on Hazard mode switch or whatever and that this turn signal lever is somehow in that configuration as opposed to just signaling in normal use etc. Does this OEM type switch in fact also have a mode of operations as a full on hazard blinking rear lights etc I don't see a seperate lever or whatever, but as i stated there is 12 v coming from the switch itself-on the column intself before it goes anywhere-for both the left and right rear turn signals at the same time when the hand lever is pushed for a left or right turn? So the tailights are functioning as the turn signal switch is indicating. My question is why is the turn signal switch sending that message. Is there some sort of factory OEM device on a stock truck that somehow deals with that, and because I don't have it, I have a problem. I don't know. But I will add that ground to the frame from the rear of the bed. Thanks Tom

Old 03-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I replaced my entire system with an ezwire system, but I am certain originally there was a separate toggle switch that turned on the hazard flashers and there was a red bulb that lit up when they were on. I remember taking them out, see photo. I don't know if that helps. As stated before I would start by checking the grounds.

Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Thanks for your comments. Yes it did orginally have turn signals. Its a 58Custom F100. But it was a basket case when I got it, and I just ripped and tossed pretty much until I got down to "bedrock" so to speak. I did keep the original steering column mounted switch, and it looks exactly the same as the remanufactured unit, but the original doesn't function at all.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Thanks. That's good info. Maybe I can come up with a fix. Thanks for the photo.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

I certainly will check the grounds at each site. They're probably the worst type for ground problems. These bulbs are "self grounding" I guess. If that's what its called. In this particular two filament bulb their are as you know to positive leads, and the gold or silver metal that holds the bulb acts as the ground to the sheet metal where it is held as a "snug fit".

Old 03-25-2008, 12:23 AM
t900enforcer
Junior User
I have posted a detailed diagram of a turn signal switch in my gallery. It also has a truth table (what should be connected when). If you are unsure about your switch wiring you can check it against the truth table on my diagram.

Good luck

Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 AM
cool 48
Senior User
Hey , I'm not sure if you checked this already , but you might have a couple of wires touching each other inside the switch housing itself. I'm sure you already checked that , but I thought I might mention it. I am having a problem with my turn signal switch also. When I turn the lever ,the turn signals just light up , no blinky. And my hazard swtch does not work. I haven't gottne in to it yet, but I'm sure it is something similar.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

I'll double check that. Thanks. That's a possibility-maybe I'll experiment with some additional electrical tape/seperating things at the switch itself. I've also phoned Dennis Carpenter, and will need to phone back for a specific person tormorrow, who knows more than others about elect etc. I know its not their policy to accept returns of electrical devices, etc-but I thought maybe another customer in the past has had a similar problem and it might be the switch itself that is defective. Just a possibility. If I can't solve it, I'll probably go with an under dash/toggle switch with audible signal from Ron Francis Wire works. I'll give the OEM switch unitl the end of the week and then move on. I'd prefer to use it with its "self cancelling" feature with the steering wheel "off" cam etc, but I could survive with something else. Thanks for your suggestion.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
You might have to mount separate lights for turn signals. That is what I did to solve my similar problem. And it makes my turning intentions more noticeable to people behind me.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Yes. That's a possiblity of course, but I plan to use a product from Ron Francis Wire works if I can't get this switch working. It too functions with one filament of a two filament bulb such that the turn signal and brake share a common wire and a common filament. In my particular situation I just don't wish to have seperate/more lights. On a 58 this would be a look I personally wouldn't want. But its like ice cream. Some people like chocolate and some strawberry. Its just a matter of personal preference. My 58 is a big "flat back end" type truck. Its a styleside and I would prefer to keep just the two tailights. Thanks for your comments. Tom