Converting a Ford IDI to WVO - Fill me in on the details

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 AM
BombThreat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting a Ford IDI to WVO - Fill me in on the details

This is the reason why I bought my 93' 7.3. I've done reading and searched around but I'm looking for information right from people that have done the conversion themselves. I'm going to build this system myself in order to save money and learn more about the details of the working system. Not to mention I think the pre-packaged stuff is overpriced for the sake of simplicity . But I am very new and need the details on what exactly is needed for a working WVO system for the IDI Fords. What parts did you guys use, the best routing, things to avoid, ect. It would be really awesome if you guys could draw up a sketch on MS paint or something similar with the fuel routes, valves, solenoids, ect on how exactly you have the system working on your truck.

I don't know much of anything in detail about the workings of WVO systems. Just the very basic concept behind it. Basically the WVO needs to be @ 160 degrees in order to flow properly...180+ degrees is best though. It's a two tank system, one dedicated to WVO the other to Diesel. You start the struck on Diesel until the WVO warms to approx 160 degrees then switch over... what needs to be used here to do that?

So if someone could give me a rundown on the process and the steps for the system with the parts needed for each step that would be great too. Im just trying to understand fully how everything works and the order in which.

Here's a quick diagram of a truck with the engine and 2 tanks... If you want to use that to sketch how your system works.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:57 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The trucks are easy because they already have two tanks. I just added a heated fuel filter under the hood and started running, now 1.5 years later still running great in both of my IDI trucks, However I mix a little diesel in the winter time.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:07 PM
akghound
Junior User
Look here for tons of info

Search for Ford 7.3 and find lots of info http://www.frybrid.com/forum/index.php
also look for Vegistroke system on Google. FN74 (Member on this forum) can help you as well.
Ken Gardner

Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 AM
porschev
New User
I don't even heat my wvo. It does make less power when cold out. Other then that no trouble. Front tank is veggie and rear is the flush tank.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 AM
lowell75
Senior User
Arrow

Originally Posted by porschev
I don't even heat my wvo. It does make less power when cold out. Other then that no trouble. Front
tank is veggie and rear is the flush tank.
plan on coking problems with your injectors down the road a little bit!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 AM
porschev
New User
2 years with no troubles thanks.