1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

gas prices???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:04 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would ask what good is it gonna do to b=tch about it , but we all have to vent . it's here and now we gotta try and elect officials { yeah i know good luck as most dont give a damn !!!} that might act on the problem . yes the oil companies are entitled to profit , but they aint gonna be making jack when everyone stops going anywhere , and we all stop using as much . im still using the 53 , can you here her slurping it up in the background , as my daily ride and i refuse to give in to the buy a small car crap . im not comfortable in them and i dont like 'em as a matter of fact i hate them . and yes the living outta town and driving to work is coming to an end i beleive . one daughter , the oldest is building a big ol' fancy house outta town by 15 miles or so , and she's already begginning to feel the costs of it . the other elder child lives in mechanicsburg and even with a used econobox for work transport { the billy bubba full size 4x4 is killing them } they are in financial trouble with fuel and power prices , but refuse to move into town . i've been observing a mass migration of i'd only live in the country folks into the city here . i figure before to long i'll get a real good deal on some properties outta town . i only have one new car , hers so not having lots of payments helps me stave off the wolves , but in the last couple of years my toy money has dwindled , and it's due to every thing else going ballistic including , especially fuel . just hang on for the ride guy's as it's gotta get better some time ! { when you are really tired you become so much more philisophical or have you noticed it ? or maybe it's more full of sh-t ? }

Old 03-18-2008, 04:42 AM
xfordman
Elder User
The oil companys put George in office when gas was $1.40 a gal. Now its over $3.00, go figure!!! And, Oh yea, the oil company won't get our rebate checks, they already have it, they get theirs when you put that credit card in the pump! ......Rod

Old 03-18-2008, 07:16 AM
joedellcarter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"1 - Preventing oil companies from drilling in ANWR, off the East Coast of the US, off the Florida Coast, and off the coast of California. "

There's only 6 months worth of oil there in Alaska. Is it really worth destroying more wildlife habitat for that? Absolutely not. The only sound reasoning you could have for drilling there is for a strategic military reserve....we are nowhere near having a need for that.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:23 AM
tyc11388
New User
yeah i pay $3.15 a gallon for my f150 diesel is $3.85 here in bastrop/smithville, texas it sucks even with 20mpg

Old 03-18-2008, 07:25 AM
MCarlson
Senior User
we already have a strategic military reserve. Also, the plans for ANWR called for building over the icepack and drilling back towards the land mass, not from on top of it.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:28 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
well while we are all " deciphering " the issue here i made an observation while on my way back in from my first run . one of the easiest things to do to help save fuel . slow the h-ll down people . all morning long i've had people passing me on two lanes and im running 55 . then when we stop they're hard on the freaking accellerator like the're in a d-m- race ! change your driving style save some fuel !!!!!!!!!!!! i'm driving an 8 ton lowpro straight truck with an ih v-8 deisel and auto trans , that is geared high to help it pull , and i drive like i am older than i am , or have eggs under the throttle . i get 10.5 to 13 mpg in it depending on weather , wind , etc. all day long folks . the other guys are lucky to get 8-9 mpg as they are in a hurry in their routes / trucks . hmmmmm could i be on to something ??????? every little bit helps .

Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 AM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
In two weeks Im headed to VA and WV for my F3. Its going to cost me more in fuel than the truck haha

Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I think it's foolish to blame George Bush for the price of oil. I have read this on a few different board, it's just stupid. There's nothing he could have done about the increase of world demand for fuel. If he is actually responsible for half of what his critics blame him for, fuel prices, global warming, the World Trade center attacks and hurricanes, he'd be the most brilliant, powerful human since Jesus but the same people who blame him for the price of oil, and other things, also think he's the biggest moron, he can't be both. I personally think GW could be that powerful, he can't even get a bill to pass congress. If he could control the price of oil the most politically advantageous thing he could have done is lower the price of oil, he would have become the savior of the world, for at ten minutes until the Democrats found another evil slant to it.

I didn't state the above to start a political debate, this isn't the place for it, but to try to get people to face reality. The price of anything is affected by demand, if there's big demand the price is going to up. No one man can do it. Sure the oil companies are making record profits but they are controlled by profits which are sought after by share holders which are people who invest in their companies. These investors are every day people who have their money in IRAs and 401Ks invested in the stock market. If they tried to cut their profits they would have share holders asking for their heads. I am not a apologist for the oil company executives, I'm just a realist.

If the people of the US can be blamed solely for global warming by the lefties then I would assume they should also open their eyes and blame us for the high price of fuel, not GW or the oil companies. We waste a lot of fuel, just look around at the vehicles that are driven down the roads. Who in the world needs a Hummer that can climb a 30" vertical wall and gets 6 mpg or a Mustang that can do 0-60 in 5 seconds that gets 10 mpg. 99.9% percent of the owners of these vehicle will never use 10% of the abilities of these beasts but they use them on a daily basis. 55 f350 has it right, lighten up on the pedal, that's about all we can do to at least ease the pain of the high cost of fuel. Boycotting one or two certain oil companies isn't going to work, it would take a huge plan of cooperation that just isn't possible.

Like I stated above, we're bi***ing about it now, trying to sell our gas guzzling vehicles but eventually we'll get use to the price and go back to our old ways.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by joedellcarter
"1 - Preventing oil companies from drilling in ANWR, off the East Coast of the US, off the Florida Coast, and off the coast of California. "

There's only 6 months worth of oil there in Alaska. Is it really worth destroying more wildlife habitat for that? Absolutely not. The only sound reasoning you could have for drilling there is for a strategic military reserve....we are nowhere near having a need for that.
Not sure where you are getting your facts but there is a lot more oil up ther than a six month supply. For a six month supply, it would not be worth the cost and effort to build the infractructure to bring it down here.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM
joedellcarter
Senior User
"Advocates of drilling say that opening up ANWR would make America less dependent on oil imports and thus more secure. At best this idea is illogical; at worst, it's disingenuous. According to information most of us have heard, there could be 5.6 billion to 16 billion barrels (235 billion to 672 billion gallons) of premium "light, sweet crude" underlying the coastal plain of the refuge. Our nation consumes 7 billion barrels of oil per year, and even if the refuge provided the hoped-for 1 million barrels per day, the resulting 0.5 percent annual increase in domestic supply would not significantly lessen our dependence on foreign oil. At best, according to various energy experts, the refuge would yield less than a year's supply of oil for the United States."

From the Washington Post.

I'll beat this dead horse all day.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:50 AM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
We need to drill for it now. It wont get cheaper to get it the longer we wait.
I been up there and theres not a damned thing. The pipeline cuts through a state the size of the U.S. and the animals are running all over in huge heards. The way its layed in it changes from above ground to underground. You may go for miles and its not seen.
We need to get every drop we can. I have a cousin whos been running an oil well on their property since the 60's Once a week a truck comes and drains a storage tank.
I cant believe that it would be worth doing. He lives in BFE Kentucky and its treacherouse roads in a car let alone trucks using it.
Someone is buying it and has been for years. I f we dont get alternate forms of transportation and power going its going to be nasty. Imagine a nation that just stops and shortages start. War will be a simple way out. Powerfull nations always use war as a tool. ah hell this is way off track anyway. IM stopping.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:18 PM
joedellcarter
Senior User
I give up too...the only thing we can all agree on is cool old trucks...ain't one of us an economist or a politician.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
dawolverine
Senior User
well in the uk it would work out to around $9 a gallon so think yourselves lucky - the government over here are proper thieves as about 2/3's of that is tax alone!

Old 03-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Aussie 53
Tuned
Dido, I am paying $6.80 a gallon. So don't know what you are all complaining about. We have changed our ways of driving here, Gone are the big guzzling V8's. Motor companies have developed more fuel inficient engines. One person was right on this forum, who needs a huge big vechile that gets 6mph only just to drive down the shop to buy some milk and bread. I guess that is it.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:03 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Oil is a commodity. It is based on supply and demand. It is determined by Wall Street, not Politicians. Goldman and Sachs, I think it is. Here is a link to the current costs of commodities:

http://money.cnn.com/data/commodities/

I guess it could be argued that Politicians haven't done enough to prevent the monopoly of the GAO. An interesting book I have not read, but may do someday: "For the Love of Oil: The Fleecing of the American Consumer By Big Oil Companies, Politicians, and Wallstreet Commodity Traders"

Quick Reply: gas prices???