GM recalls Buick Regal and Pontiac Grand Prix due to fire concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Octane
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GM recalls Buick Regal and Pontiac Grand Prix due to fire concerns

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs...33/1148/AUTO01
General Motors Corp. is warning the owners of 207,542 Buick Regal and Pontiac Grand Prix sedans not to park them in garages because they can catch fire.
The Detroit automaker said today it is recalling the 1997-2003 Buick Regal GS and Grand Prix GDP models with 3.8-liter supercharged V-6 engines.

During hard braking, oil can leak from the engine onto the exhaust manifold, and fires can start if the oil gets hot enough, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on its Web site.
The problem has caused 267 vehicle fires and six injuries, five of them minor and one moderate, Markey said. It also has caused 17 structure fires, GM said.

"There are very, very low incidences of vehicles actually catching fire while driving," Markey said.

The NHTSA said that if the exhaust manifold is hot enough and the oil gets below a heat shield, "it may ignite into a small flame and in some cases fire may spread to the plastic spark plug wire channel."
<!--endclickprintinclude--><!-- EDITORIAL: end body of the story -->

Old 03-16-2008, 09:35 AM
brown 4x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm...Wonder where it leaks out of?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:16 AM
4wheelfurry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The oil leaks from around the valve cover bolt groumet area from what I gather, not the gasket itself. The fix is an updated gasket and bolt groumets.. Supposedly only the supercharged Wbody cars apply which is odd because that engine is in many other GM models... Something about the heat specific to that body car and the supercharged engine only. What is totally stupid, GM guys deemed only the front gasket needs changing, if you want the rear changed too it will cost ya! Well the front is the easy one...
I own a GP GTP and just got my letter in yesterday but I have known about it for a while from forums. I have my car modded pretty good so there is much concern about recally covering us guys with modded engines