N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Just a thought. Convert a 460 to LNG

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:24 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought. Convert a 460 to LNG

I know. This may sound ridiculous. I posted this in the alternative fuels forum. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...rsion-kit.html. Does this make sense or am I an idiot? Well, I'm probably an idiot, but...

What are your thoughts?

Old 03-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
Sounds like an excellent win-win situation if it is possible. Don't know enough about it myself though, so I can't help you with the questions.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:38 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
It is a good idea - and most conversions are duel fuel. I am not sure how they work the fuel injection issues, but assume it will work with FI.

It can pass Smog, if you follow their rules.

One big problem is that LPG needs much higher compression ratios to burn efficiently - on the order of 16 to 1. I have never seen a duel-fuel setup with this high a ratio. In tractors running only LPG the conversion works well - except for, as you noted, the need for extra large fuel tanks. The LPG engines I have seen were extremely clean and long lasting.

As for home refill kits - if you have your tank fitted with a bottom fill, you can draw liquid gas out of the tank without a pump. That is how I refill my smaller bottles. If you take it from the top all you get is gas. I guess you could re-compress it back to liquid with a pump - but I have no experience with that.

Also, in some states they put a stain in the home LPG gas which stains your carb so the cops can see if you have been running illegal fuel.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by WillyB
It is a good idea - and most conversions are duel fuel. I am not sure how they work the fuel injection issues, but assume it will work with FI.

It can pass Smog, if you follow their rules.
Where does one find "their" rules? It seems to me like it is a good idea on many levels as well, but if I can't register it, it kind of sucks. How does one build a big block Ford truck that actually treats the environment gently in the state of California?

I'm kind of puzzled about this.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:34 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I suggest you contact the EPA and ask them. http://www.calepa.ca.gov/

I was not able to find the rules myself.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:26 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
hmmm.... I wonder what the range would be with one. i know LPG Honda Civics don't get the same distance from a tank as the gasoline versions.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:29 AM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Natural gas has about 10% less energy than an equivalent amount of gasoline. I suspect that is why the higher compression ratio is desired. The range would certainly be reduced unless I were to add additional fuel tanks. But, if I could figure out a way to make it dual fuel, I could switch over to gasoline if I couldn't find anyplace to refuel.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:00 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
I am really interested in this as well. I wonder if the old FE engines could be converted as well.

Will running LPG cause a loss of torque? I thought I heard that some SF busses couldn't be converted because they would not be able to pull the hills. I may be thinking of some other alt fuel/energy thing though.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:38 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
It is common conversion in farm country where big engines run irrigation pumps, and around here for the wind machines. That may have changed some now that we have vehicle sized diesel engines that are price comparable.

They used it a lot in the oil patch - that way they could use their own gas direct from the well. My guess is that any rural gas supplier could give you information on conversions for stationary applications.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:19 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Natural gas is also used for rock crawlers engines. Since it is not a liquid, the off-road vehicle can handle more extreme angles without becoming fuel starved.

My guess it would be easier to convert your pickup because you don't have to pass California smog checks. Anything I would do would have to be CARB certified and I can't find any conversion kits.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:31 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I finally did a goggle search - there are legal conversion kits CARB approved for late model Ford applications.

For just a general understanding of what is needed: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/lpg5.htm

One company making conversion kits::http://www.hendrixsystems.com/index.htm

And one who has worked with the 5.4 L Ford and CARB: http://www.technocarb.com/

you will need to contact the company direct to see if they offer one for a 460 FI

Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
I've contacted the companies and will let you know if they even respond. It is an older vehicle and they may not jump in to handle the CARB stuff. Thanks for the references though. I'll keep you posted if they come up with anything.

The "pre '73s" stand a better chance than my '91.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
If you aren't messing with air quality inspection stuff, check here for a start.

http://www.gotpropane.com/

Looks like fun, huh?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Oh, they clearly aren't interested in helping me in hooking up my motorhome.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
And the reason I have a quadrupal post is that I can't seem to edit these. I don't understand what is going on. Please forgive me. I'd really like to hook these all into one message.

Quick Reply: Just a thought. Convert a 460 to LNG