1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

How many miles do you have on your Expy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:34 PM
Resto Guy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Resto Guy
I bought my 2002 Eddie Bauer 4.6 new and it now has 190K. The oil has always been changed between 3K and 5K with Castrol 5W-30. Other than LOTS of coil failures the past 5 years, the only thing on the engine I've had rebuilt was the alternator last year. Trans fluid and filter get replaced every 40K. Fuel pump has been replaced twice. One radiator about ten years ago. Original rotors and calipers. Best of all, NO RUST!
It's nice living in the South!
One year later - 197K on it. Replaced the radiator (again) early last year, bit the bullet and replaced all of the plugs and coils/boots too (Denso replacements). It's nice to go a year with no coil failures.
Flushing the front heater core today has restored warmth to the cabin, the rear core gets replaced tomorrow. Whiny passengers!

Old 01-23-2018, 11:42 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Just inherited an '04 5.4L EB from my sister. She is the original owner. 240k miles, and I plan to keep her going forever...just like my Excursion.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:53 PM
NorthCarolinaExpy
Senior User
Originally Posted by fishsqueezer
Thought my rig was doing well until I saw everyone else's posts! We have just under 171K on our '01 Expy XLT, 4wd, 5.4L Triton. Other than normal maintenance, no problems with one exception listed below.

Out of town for work, flying home on Friday for a 500 mile drive with the family to the OR coast for a funeral. Had SWMBO take the rig to Jiffy Lube for oil change. They sold her on the need to flush and change the trans fluid (she was unaware I had done it ~2K mile earlier). Flew in mid-afternoon, jumped in already-loaded rig with wife and kids, drove to coast. Everything fine until climbing the coast range on OR hwy 6. Trans started slipping near the summit and continued to slip on downhill. Stopped at a safe turnout to check the fluid level. Trans fluid didn't even register on the stick! Looked underneath for leaks, everything dry as it should be. It was nearly 2am so didn't want to call and wake my folks to come rescue us. Made it the last 40 miles by taking it easy. Went to funeral the next morning, dumped the fluid and found only half the fluid it should have had. Changed filter, filled with fluid and drove home 3 days later w/o any problems. Trans died about 6 mos. later. Had it rebuilt with a hd upgrade kit and new/stronger TC.

Can't blame the truck for the failure, just the ******** at Jiffy Lube! Took it back in after we returned from our trip and pointed out their failure, was essentially told to Prove IT! Never again. This is why we do all our own maintenance on our rigs.
I feel your pain on incompetent mechanics. I just had mine check the front wheel bearings, tighten if needed and grease them. That was November 2017. Coming back from a long trip after the new year (2018) I hear grinding noise in front drivers side wheel. Pulled over and grease leaking out of hubcap. tow truck 20 miles and motel overnight. Next day, its the front wheel bearings. They were dry as a bone and loose as a goose. After $400, I was on my way back home. I'll never use that Mechanic again.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:53 PM
Jeff1653
New User
2004 5.4 4x4 expedition have 307,000 miles on mine mostly basic repairs I did all the suspension as prevention maintenance. And I health and tow alot runs great.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:16 AM
david_jr
Senior User
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsqueezer
Thought my rig was doing well until I saw everyone else's posts! We have just under 171K on our '01 Expy XLT, 4wd, 5.4L Triton. Other than normal maintenance, no problems with one exception listed below.

Out of town for work, flying home on Friday for a 500 mile drive with the family to the OR coast for a funeral. Had SWMBO take the rig to Jiffy Lube for oil change. They sold her on the need to flush and change the trans fluid (she was unaware I had done it ~2K mile earlier). Flew in mid-afternoon, jumped in already-loaded rig with wife and kids, drove to coast. Everything fine until climbing the coast range on OR hwy 6. Trans started slipping near the summit and continued to slip on downhill. Stopped at a safe turnout to check the fluid level. Trans fluid didn't even register on the stick! Looked underneath for leaks, everything dry as it should be. It was nearly 2am so didn't want to call and wake my folks to come rescue us. Made it the last 40 miles by taking it easy. Went to funeral the next morning, dumped the fluid and found only half the fluid it should have had. Changed filter, filled with fluid and drove home 3 days later w/o any problems. Trans died about 6 mos. later. Had it rebuilt with a hd upgrade kit and new/stronger TC.

Can't blame the truck for the failure, just the ******** at Jiffy Lube! Took it back in after we returned from our trip and pointed out their failure, was essentially told to Prove IT! Never again. This is why we do all our own maintenance on our rigs.

Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaExpy
I feel your pain on incompetent mechanics. I just had mine check the front wheel bearings, tighten if needed and grease them. That was November 2017. Coming back from a long trip after the new year (2018) I hear grinding noise in front drivers side wheel. Pulled over and grease leaking out of hubcap. tow truck 20 miles and motel overnight. Next day, its the front wheel bearings. They were dry as a bone and loose as a goose. After $400, I was on my way back home. I'll never use that Mechanic again.

__________________I also have been the victim of incompetent mechanics at the DEALERSHP!! Last summer I took my truck in for oil change & check the power steering leaking. Long story short, they sold me the trans fluid change, ordered PS parts, which ended up being the wrong year (they got 08 parts, my 08 takes 07 parts) my correct parts backordered and wait 7 weeks for repair after I locate parts. Leave a few days later for east coast trip to Myrtle Beach and back, get to Harrisburg, PA in 100 degree heat stuck in 6 to 8 mile backup tranny starts slipping. Limp do a dealership just before they close, mechanic finds tranny fluid 1.5 quarts low, super hot and asked me who replaced PS pump. I tell them dealer, also told him same dealer did tranny service 2 months earlier and truck hadn't been driven since. He seems outraged. Advises first, they did not change leaking tranny lines and 2nd when they did the PS they moved the radiator cowl down blocking tranny cooler and left it that way after repair. He advises keep an eye on tranny. In Myrtle Beach front wheels started smoking and truck didn't want to go, it was the bearings $600. Finished trip felt tranny slow to shift to OD along the way total 2K miles and took it back to the dealer advising of findings on trip. They check tranny and advise all "within spec." Been about 6 months now and if tranny goes will result in a small claims court action from me.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:32 AM
slaponte
Junior User
Well, my baby just went over the 250K mark!!! :-) Still going strong. She does 100 miles each day to work and back. In need of some care, A/C only cools at speed and the front suspension needs a bit of attention (ball joints, one tie rod, alignment). Other than that still reliable.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:20 PM
LKBETTS
New User
191,000 miles on my black Expedition- Eddie Bauer 4X4 5.4l V-8. Owned it 10 years, usual stuff, routine maintenance, battery every 3 years, alternator twice. The transmission is starting to slip a little, but I have heard replacing the fluid at this point can toast it.

Any thoughts on that?

Love this beast!!!

Old 02-13-2018, 03:35 PM
NorthCarolinaExpy
Senior User
385,xxx Just recently felt what feels like a misfire around 35mph - 50mph. I see the tachometer fluctuate 1k - 4k when it happens, too. I don't know if its the transmission starting to slip gears or a misfiring COP, Spark Plug etc. . .
I thought I'd explore this forum before I take to a mechanic tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:53 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
If the transmission is starting to slip, don't waste your money on a fluid change. The fluid change will not cause it to go down the tubes...but the slipping transmission is a sure sign you need to be proactive and not wait to be stranded. I'd fix it now.

To NCExpy, a fluctuation from 1k-4k is not a misfire. That is likely your transmission.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:16 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Yesterday. .

Will probably roll 200k by the end of the month.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:58 AM
turbo39151
Junior User
2000 Expedition XLT. 5.4L, 114k
Just put in new engine, rebuilt trans a year ago, fresh exhaust, new front suspension.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:35 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo39151
2000 Expedition XLT. 5.4L, 114k
Just put in new engine, rebuilt trans a year ago, fresh exhaust, new front suspension.
May I ask what happened to your engine? I was thinking ours was just about indestructible and we are at just 77K miles. Been worried lately about the 5W 20 I've been running for around 30K miles (multiple changes, just using that weight that Ford said was retro-spec'd to our motor)...
Thanks,
Scott

Old 05-06-2018, 10:50 AM
turbo39151
Junior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
May I ask what happened to your engine? I was thinking ours was just about indestructible and we are at just 77K miles. Been worried lately about the 5W 20 I've been running for around 30K miles (multiple changes, just using that weight that Ford said was retro-spec'd to our motor)...
Thanks,
Scott
Scott: To answer your question, it was mostly all my error....
First after it spit out a few spark plugs, I pulled the 4 thread heads and swapped them for some stage II heads from the Modular head shop back in 2008/2009 (Truck had 102k) As you can see we rarely drive the truck (mpg is terrible). Anyway, one day it starts randomly chugging. It starts and runs but sounds terrible. We finally diagnose that a valve seat has come loose. I pull the head and have it fixed and commence to put it all back together. My timing chain ends up being off and I damage the pistons and valves. Turns out to be cheaper to swap in a rebuilt unit than to have mine rebuilt... (I don't have the space to do my own work here).

Therefore, the low miles are not indicative of any major issue (aside from crappy heads)...

Old 05-15-2018, 11:59 AM
NorthCarolinaExpy
Senior User
I'm now at 387,000 miles. I replaced the air ride compressor with a $100 Arnott (ebay) back in January and the rear end was staying up pretty good. (original air bags). Now it deflates after sitting for a couple of hours, but then inflates and stays inflated while I'm driving and I don't hear the compressor kicking on all the time either. A look at the air bags tells me that after 18 years, they are pretty much on borrowed time. I'm seriously considering Strutmasters in Roxboro NC and having them install the coil conversion kit while I am up there in that area next week. Any reviews on this conversion experience will be greatly appreciated. I feel fortunate that I've got almost 390,000 miles on the original air bag system after reading some posts. I've been very happy with this Expedition except for an issue with A/C not cooling when I'm sitting still, then it freezes me out when I am moving.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:28 AM
2trux
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaExpy
I'm now at 387,000 miles. I replaced the air ride compressor with a $100 Arnott (ebay) back in January and the rear end was staying up pretty good. (original air bags). Now it deflates after sitting for a couple of hours, but then inflates and stays inflated while I'm driving and I don't hear the compressor kicking on all the time either. A look at the air bags tells me that after 18 years, they are pretty much on borrowed time. I'm seriously considering Strutmasters in Roxboro NC and having them install the coil conversion kit while I am up there in that area next week. Any reviews on this conversion experience will be greatly appreciated. I feel fortunate that I've got almost 390,000 miles on the original air bag system after reading some posts. I've been very happy with this Expedition except for an issue with A/C not cooling when I'm sitting still, then it freezes me out when I am moving.
The rear air bags are not that expensive and pretty easy to replace. you might want to look into that first.

Quick Reply: How many miles do you have on your Expy?