How many miles do you have on your Expy? - Page 39 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

How many miles do you have on your Expy?

Old 02-21-2017, 12:46 PM
New User

papadave is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have 236k on my y2k exp xlt 5.4 daily driver still going strong
Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Junior User

swagfu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just bought my 99 couple of weeks ago with 244k on her. Got a great deal on it. Fixed the brakes and shocks and all the vacuum leaks. Running great now. Just a few minor repairs left and she will be perfect. Mirrors, rear wiper motor fix and new navigation stereo on the way. Loving it so far.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:48 AM
Junior User

30coupe is starting off with a positive reputation.
'98 Expy XLT

Well, I'm back after almost four years of being without a Ford truck. I traded the F150 on an '04 Tacoma, which I still have as a DD, but the boss (aka wife) finally got her wish and we bought a used pontoon boat. An 8' wide 20' long boat and a 5 speed Taco weren't going to be a good combo, so we found a '98 Expedition with 130k on her and brought her home last Sunday. The PO had done brakes, brake lines, plugs, tires, and a couple other maintenance things. The interior is very good, albeit reeking of cigarette smoke and wet dog. The exterior, having lived in Iowa for 19 years, has some rust issues: rocker panels, trailing arms, muffler, running boards, and a little on the inside door bottoms. Mechanically, all appears well. She runs like a new one and the 4wd works great. I've got a muffler and aftermarket trailing arms on the way. I'll do slip-on rocker panels this summer and ditch the factory running boards. I'll probably replace them with tube type to make it easier to wash the salt off the rockers. It won't see all that much winter driving anyway, so the future rust issues should be delayed a while...I hope.

I'm still kind of getting to know the truck, so I'll probably find a few more, hopefully minor, things to address. One that isn't critical, but that bugs the crap out of me is the totally redneck fix for the plastic that surrounds the radio: sheet rock screws! I have to admit, they do keep it from rattling. They cracked the dash and look like hell, but it doesn't rattle. I'm just not sure I can stand it for very long, especially since the rest of the interior cleaned up really nice.

Anyway, I'm glad to be back into the Ford truck world and hope this one lasts as long as some on this thread. Took me two days, but I read the entire 39 pages!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:58 AM
Post Fiend

alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30coupe View Post
Well, I'm back after almost four years of being without a Ford truck.

Anyway, I'm glad to be back into the Ford truck world and hope this one lasts as long as some on this thread. Took me two days, but I read the entire 39 pages!
Welcome back and...39 pages...you need a hobby.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
Welcome back and...39 pages...you need a hobby.
That is ONE of my hobbies, lol! Hey, I'm a retired guy, cut me some slack.

One of my other "hobbies" is working on my own vehicles so I don't have to pay someone else and so I know it's done right...or at least I know who to blame if it's not.

Honestly, I kept reading because I'm amazed at the miles guys are getting out of these trucks as well as what I need to kind of watch for in terms of common issues. The previous owner took care of some of them, but I'm finding a few: blown out muffer (fixed that yesterday), rusted out trailing arms (new ones should be here Friday), Swiss cheese rocker panels (summer job for me), and redneck repairs to the radio surround (sheet rock screws...no, really...sheet rock screws ). Nothing majorly expensive thus far, thankfully.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Post Fiend

alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Quote:
rusted out trailing arms (new ones should be here Friday)
Did you order a new nut and bolt for the front on the driver's side? To get the old bolt out you have to cut the head off and insert the new bolt in the opposite direction, or you have to drop the gas tank.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:57 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
Did you order a new nut and bolt for the front on the driver's side? To get the old bolt out you have to cut the head off and insert the new bolt in the opposite direction, or you have to drop the gas tank.
I ordered this one for the very reason you mentioned...did some research first.

Amazon Amazon

It comes with upper, lower, and all hardware...at least that's what the ad said. If not, it will be making a return trip.

I can't get too excited about dropping the gas tank, which is full BTW, nor do I really want to drive it until nearly empty with those crusty trailing arms on it. It would probably be safe, but probably just doesn't cut it for me.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
It comes with upper, lower, and all hardware...at least that's what the ad said.
That's a real good price too.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:04 PM
FTE Addict

diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
Somebody has to bring this to the top every once in awhile!

Our Expy should be on break-in oil! Based on some of the high miles I've read here (yes I read every post), we have only a bit over 76k miles on our '00 EB 5.4 (we are retired and own 10 vehicles, all running/registered)... I'd say I am way over maintaining it, but generally have gone between 4 to 5 k on oil changes, sometimes I've skipped the filter. Bought it with 17K on it back in 1/2002. Did all driveline fluids around 20K and then just drain and fills on the trans every 10K or so, switched to MerconV at 58K, did Xfer case at 60K and since fluid was pretty dark, figure more often in future... Sucked out and filled PS with MerconV too until it came out red the last time.

Don't really understand why there were so many posts on 4R100 replacements, it is an overkill transmission for this truck...

Let's see: 2 Alternators and belt (didn't need it yet), Drivers window actuator, Air Ride pump - it was working just noisy (we LOVE the Air Suspension, to each his own...), proactively did bags and fr & rear shocks, had a Tee fitting fail on the air ride early on, apparently pretty common and Ford upgraded the part.

Fuel pump under warranty as level indicator went out, then the check valve failed that holds line pressure, so fuel pump #2 at 60K or so. Switched to 5w 20 at 50K -- had tried 10w 30 and it used more oil, then 5w 30 but it seems happy with the 5w 20. I use synthetic sometimes, conventional sometimes and sometimes I blend the two. Maybe add 1/2 qt if I push the oil change out to 5K...

Everything works. It sits outside summer and winter and 80% of the time is hooked to a 7K trailer. It has the 3.55s and still pulls it like nobody's business.

Current issue is both rear axle seals are gone, so parking brake doesn't hold well. Think I'll have that done at a shop.

Oh, did plugs at 60K and new cop seals. Used anti-seize so I guess I'm waiting for a plug blow out? Or do they blow out because not enough threads...

2 sets front pads and one rear, no rotors turned or replaced...

I don't see anything out there that I'd rather have or could do what we need, most SUVs are cruisers not workers. We paid $27K out the door in '02...

Love reading some of these high mile stories!!!

Long live these Expys!!!
Scott
Old 08-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Freshman User

kewer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Okay. Update, because my previous post was short and sweet. That, and I've learned a LOT about vehicles recently.

I bought my 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4l 2WD Eddie Bauer in 4/2016, at 301,700 miles. It had new tires, and the LF Wheel Hub Assembly had been replaced. Previous owner used it to tow a travel trailer, a lot. I have not yet towed anything with it, but I do and even split of city driving and steep grade mountain driving.

Immediately after purchase I had the following work done: Heater control valve replaced. Cylinder 2 & 4 coils replaced. Cylinder 1, 2, 3, & 4 spark plugs replaced. Cylinder 1, & 3 plug boots replaced. PCV hose replaced. Alignment.

Oil changes regularly every 3,000 miles.

308,500 Miles, DPFE and Mass Air sensors replaced. Heater Control valve replaced(again.) Heater core cleaned. Three part fuel system clean.

311,000 Miles, Cylinder 1 Coil and Spark Plug replaced.

313,000 Miles, Driver side front window regulator replaced.

319,000 Miles, All over break pad and rotors replaced. Both front Wheel Hub Assemblies replaced.

And currently at 320,000. I have P0171 - Bank 1 too lean. Scan is showing PCV valve needs to be replaced. I just got that, as well as the whole hose assembly and will be replacing that tomorrow.

Last edited by kewer; 08-12-2017 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Addint Information.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:50 PM
FTE Addict

diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
Nice post kewer

I forgot to mention PCV valve replacements, and your post reminded me: two times I experienced sudden oil consumption, which stopped after replacing a lousy less than $5 part... :-/ The PCV valve, go figure....

But your problem is likely not the valve itself but the plastic elbow that cracks and then lets too much air in, causing a lean condition...

Best,
Scott
Old 08-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_dan View Post
Nice post kewer

I forgot to mention PCV valve replacements, and your post reminded me: two times I experienced sudden oil consumption, which stopped after replacing a lousy less than $5 part... :-/ The PCV valve, go figure....

But your problem is likely not the valve itself but the plastic elbow that cracks and then lets too much air in, causing a lean condition...

Best,
Scott
There is indeed a crack in the plastic elbow! What a wonderfully educated guess. But I figure if I'm going to be in there replacing things anyway, might as well spend that extra $5 on the valve just incase there is something wrong with it, as the scan indicates. The elbow comes with the hose assembly I purchased. I didn't want to get in there and have a hose crack or crumble once I started taking things apart so I bought it all to be on the safe side, and hey, it was only $60.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:10 PM
FTE Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewer View Post
There is indeed a crack in the plastic elbow! What a wonderfully educated guess. But I figure if I'm going to be in there replacing things anyway, might as well spend that extra $5 on the valve just incase there is something wrong with it, as the scan indicates. The elbow comes with the hose assembly I purchased. I didn't want to get in there and have a hose crack or crumble once I started taking things apart so I bought it all to be on the safe side, and hey, it was only $60.

Let me ask you something off topic: I have a friend who says he will not buy a vehicle more than 10 years old (yet he owns nothing newer) -- I have tried to talk him into a used Expy as they have a small TT and it would be prefect... My Q: if you are willing to share, what did you pay for it?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_dan View Post

Let me ask you something off topic: I have a friend who says he will not buy a vehicle more than 10 years old (yet he owns nothing newer) -- I have tried to talk him into a used Expy as they have a small TT and it would be prefect... My Q: if you are willing to share, what did you pay for it?
I paid $4,750, out the door, at a dealership. With the mileage it had, many have told me I over paid for it. But I'll be perfectly honest, I didn't care. It was EXACTLY what I needed, and wanted. The interior and exterior condition was perfect, no scratches, chips, dents. The only damage to the interior was a worn steering wheel and driver seat. It was a one owner(whom I got to meet!), and it had the full service records going back to the day it was bought.

While I have put a good bit into it as far as fixing things, I will say It doesn't cost me anywhere near as much now that I've started doing things myself.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Senior User

Mark T-TB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Additional reference ^^^ FWIW
on paper, my Expy belonged to the company where I work, but it was assigned to me for 24/7 use, so it was basically mine - since the boss turned it over to me with 44K miles at the end of 2005. The company bought it new in Oct 2003.
Details are in my signature, it was sold for $4500 (too low, I thought, for a garage kept/well maintained truck) at 173k miles. My biased(?) reading of the KBB value was around $6000