Another awesome 'custom' veggie conversion - 7.3 PSD

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:51 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts

This is my latest conversion. The system is based on Jason Crawford's (FN74) check valve design. I use the engine fittings kit from Wvo and svo diesel to vegetable oil conversion kit | Veggie Garage that utilizes PTFE-lined SS braided hoses covered in nylon with JIC fittings. This kit eliminates the factory failure-prone steel hard lines and vibra-loc fittings that go from the fuel filter to the heads. The kit puts robust 3/8" check valves (CV's) right at the fuel filter, then feeds the front of the heads with diesel. By locating the CV's up by the filter, we eliminate the heat stress of having them near the up-pipes and also make changing them easier (although there have been no failures yet!). Then, VO is fed to the rear of the heads using SS hard lines with JIC fittings and a SS braided crossover hose is used to connect the heads to the rest of the VO system.

This is the best pic I have of this install... But, you can see the black nylon-coated SS hoses leaving the CV's on the filter. BTW, the nylon coating is to protect everything from the SS hoses. Unprotected, the abrasive hoses can wear a hole in anything they touch. Plus, the black looks cool (and discreet!)

This is the drivers-side SS hard line going to the back of the head with SS braided crossover hose on the front.

Here you can see the crossover hose, the tee and the SS hard line that goes to the rear of the pass-side head.

This pic shows the tee's for the VO system coolant loop and the valve I added to turn off the heat to the heater core for coooolder A/C in the summer time! I will only use brass tee's for this...

Old 09-04-2015, 10:52 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
This project had a lot of other things going on, including fully coating the frame for rust mitigation. The truck will be used in western NY... You can see the skidplate for the Excursion fuel tank that has been added for the primary VO tank. It resides where the spare tire was.

Here is the X tank installed and plumbed in. We are using a Hot Fox heated fuel pick-up and then tube-in-hose (TIH) heated aluminum fuel line from the pick-up to the pre-filter. There is also TIH on the return fuel line from the fuel pressure regulator. More about the plumbing later...

This is the top of the tank.

Under the truck, fuel comes from the tank to a Racor PS120 pre-pump filter. I put a valve before the filter to prevent it from draining the tank while the filter is being serviced.

The VO fuel pump and aux coolant pump are located between the pre-filter and the fuel pressure regulator, primary filter, VO-side CV, purge valve and fuel pressure sending unit. You can also see the copper coolant wrap on the primary filter in this pic. Fuel leaves here and travels to the tee to the heads via another SS braided hose from Veggie Garage.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:13 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
I have these switches made for the veggie system and build F650 dashes to put them in. This one has room for 3 more switches this customer will add later.

VO pump, Diesel pump and purge.

The gauges are fuel level and fuel pressure. The customer chose the cheaper fuel level gauge, but I don't give them an option on the ISSPRO EV2 fuel pressure gauge.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:05 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've lurked here a long while and have always been impressed with these conversions. No WVO around here, so no conversion for me. These are seriously cool projects though!

Old 09-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Anthony Giovino
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SkySkiJason how much do these conversions run and do you do these yourself?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:35 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Anthony Giovino
SkySkiJason how much do these conversions run and do you do these yourself?
Yes, I do these myself. It's against the rules to talk about it here. I'm sending you a PM.

Can't send you a PM... Maybe you don't have enough posts?? Please contact me on FB if you'd like more info.

- Jason Pandolph