5.4 replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:44 PM
ED Milk
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 replacement ?

I am in Northern NY,home of road salt.My 2002 is used for plowing.I bought it in 06 with 39,000 miles on it for $14,800.00 including an 8' fisher plow.I just paid it off in June.Tranny went this spring---so that part is good now.I do not abuse it when I plow.This is first truck that I ever had to put a tranny in--especially with only 72k on it.Well now the dipstick tube rotted off at the block.No way for me to replace it so I took it to my buddy's shop who I trust with the repairs that I cannot do.he said he will have to lift the engine to get it out.BUT..... he said he is concerned with the rust on the block.I put SS JBA shorty headers on it 2 yrs ago so I do not have exhaust manifold issues.Should I look into another engine quick from a reputable rebuilder or what before he goes ahead and starts ? cannot really afford to get another truck since I just got done with $400/month payment and no OT at work anymore.Thought about going south looking for a clean used truck.Nice stuff 500 miles from here-----RUST FREE UNDERCARRIAGE.Everytime I get ahead I know I will get slammed behind the knees. Any suggestions ????

Old 07-21-2009, 04:16 PM
hcbph
Senior User
Rust

If it was me, I'd ask for a little better explanation. The block is cast so even if the paint was gone, I would think it was only some surface rust. I've worked on some cast iron woodworking equipment that had set outside for years, yes you can get some pitting etc but it was still servicable once cleaned up. Sorry but I don't understand what the concerns is, may be valid but I don't see enough info here to make a decision either way.

I have to admit I've never heard of a dipstick tube rotting off so there could be more going on that is apparent from your info.

Paul

Old 07-21-2009, 04:35 PM
ED Milk
Junior User
well I have no garage,packed road salt everywhere after plowing,and car wash is 10 miles from my house.I really need to beable to pressure wash it after plowing but it will freeze up like a block of ice .Plus the cold water will not really clean it off without a warm garage.There is more than surface rust.Deep peeling chunks.Threads are non existant on motor mounts.luckily spring U bolts are pretty good.I plan on pulling the bed soon to clean up evertything and replace any bad brake lines,bolts,etc.Also replacing bed bolts and hitch bolts.I usually use new bolts when working on the truck along with liberal amts of never sieze.I know my buddy will not screw me on repairs since he usually works late after hrs on my stuff with me supplying parts ,his lift and labor .I usually keep his lawn equipment running good for him and do his lawn when he gets to busy.Found a new reman for $2650.00 including shipping.3 yr warrnty searchpartengines.com Willing to sink some money to avoid monthly payment right now.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 PM
hcbph
Senior User
Rust

Ed

Sounds like it's not the block that's the issue with rust, rather everything else. While you have it apart, if it was me I'd tear apart all I could, get rid of all the rust possible then repaint and rustproof all I could. It should help keep some of the salt off the various metal parts.

Good luck on your restoration project.

Paul