Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

why don't I see more fords at truck pulls

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:23 PM
jason867
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
why don't I see more fords at truck pulls

Hey guys. I've only been to a few truck pulls, but from those few events I have a question. Why do I see a bunch of dodges, but very few fords? Is there a specific reason for this?

Old 08-30-2007, 03:57 PM
fast83
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they outlawed them in the pulls because the ford motor was an un-fair advantage

Old 08-30-2007, 04:05 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Haha, fast thats great. Everyone knows Powerstroke can pull Cummins ******* around

Old 08-30-2007, 04:38 PM
jason867
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
seriously though, seems there should be more of them in relation to the dodge trucks...

Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
ya, i see more Ford trucks than anything up here. Kinda funny my buddy with a 97 F250 with a 7.3 w/ some upgrades pulled off against a 203 dodge cummins 1 ton dually and won

Old 08-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's cheaper and easier to get more power out of a Cummins than a Powerstroke. That's why there's more of them at truck pulls. Follow the almighty dollar.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:52 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
i hate cummins, I don't see where dodge fans get all excited and get there panties in a bunch about them. There trucks generally run higher than Ford trucks around here. Not to mention on YouTube and myspace dodge fans post the same 5 videos over and over and over. We don't need videos, we know PSD runs strong

Old 09-01-2007, 12:53 AM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
by me its split close between dodge and ford, but leaning towards dodge, chevy makes an apperance, but usually fails with broken frotn end components, and the dodge's have too much done in the upper classes for the fords to compete

Old 09-04-2007, 12:31 PM
mavrik4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Pocket]It's cheaper and easier to get more power out of a Cummins than a Powerstroke. That's why there's more of them at truck pulls. Follow the almighty dollar.[/QUOTE

Uh, yeah...Ooooorrrrr, it could be the inline 6 and torque? :O How exactly is it "cheaper and easier" to get more power out of a Cummins? Not tryin to be a *****, just curious about what the justification is behind this.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Uh, yeah...Ooooorrrrr, it could be the inline 6 and torque? :O How exactly is it "cheaper and easier" to get more power out of a Cummins? Not tryin to be a *****, just curious about what the justification is behind this.
If you look at the more current trucks, it's all about the fuel system: common rail vs. HEUI. Cummins is a CR engine and highly tuneable compared to the Powerstrokes which use HEUI. There are 1000 hp Cummins out there, but not a single Powerstroke (6.0 or 7.3) has ever hit that mark, or even come close. Put $15K of mods into a Powerstroke or Cummins and see which one has the least amount of power in the end..... it will always be the PSD. Also Cummins just flat out have cheap parts compared to a PSD. Price out injectors for each one and you'll see.

Inline 6 vs V8 has nothing to do with it, just look at the Dmax. There's plenty of those out there hitting 1000+ hp. Again the Dmax is a common rail setup. The only reason you don't see more of those at truck pulls is because of GM's weak IFS front ends. However the Dmax and Cummins can both put out the same power.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:30 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pocket
If you look at the more current trucks, it's all about the fuel system: common rail vs. HEUI. Cummins is a CR engine and highly tuneable compared to the Powerstrokes which use HEUI. There are 1000 hp Cummins out there, but not a single Powerstroke (6.0 or 7.3) has ever hit that mark, or even come close. Put $15K of mods into a Powerstroke or Cummins and see which one has the least amount of power in the end..... it will always be the PSD. Also Cummins just flat out have cheap parts compared to a PSD. Price out injectors for each one and you'll see.

Inline 6 vs V8 has nothing to do with it, just look at the Dmax. There's plenty of those out there hitting 1000+ hp. Again the Dmax is a common rail setup. The only reason you don't see more of those at truck pulls is because of GM's weak IFS front ends. However the Dmax and Cummins can both put out the same power.
i didn't think the 5.9 12v cummins were CR, or the 24v, and also, think about this... the cummins only needs enough parts for 6 cylinders, the PSD needs parts for 8... that's about 33% more for PSD parts because of the increased amount of parts needed

Old 09-04-2007, 04:31 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
oh and you don't need a chip for a 12v

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
or the 24v,
The 24v is a CR. That's the one I'm referring to in my post, hence the reference to the "more current trucks". The older 12v Cummins are just stupid cheap to upgrade compared to a PSD. Also the 12v's still don't use HEUI.

think about this... the cummins only needs enough parts for 6 cylinders, the PSD needs parts for 8... that's about 33% more for PSD parts because of the increased amount of parts needed
If you are trying to associate increased weight with increased parts, forget it. For example: compare a Cummins rod to a PSD rod. The Cummins rod is almost twice as thick.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:43 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pocket
The 24v is a CR. That's the one I'm referring to in my post, hence the reference to the "more current trucks". The older 12v Cummins are just stupid cheap to upgrade compared to a PSD. Also the 12v's still don't use HEUI.
gotcha

If you are trying to associate increased weight with increased parts, forget it. For example: compare a Cummins rod to a PSD rod. The Cummins rod is almost twice as thick.
no not weight, just price, less parts SHOULD make it cheaper, and i mean things like injectors, heads, pistons, etc etc

Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
no not weight, just price, less parts SHOULD make it cheaper, and i mean things like injectors, heads, pistons, etc etc
Ahhh gotcha. I guess some parts are cheaper due to that. But some parts aren't like that, such as injectors. A single PSD injector is way more expensive than a single Cummins injector. Also a PSD fuel system and high pressure oil system both have to be addressed when modifying into a high HP truck, where a Cummins doesn't even have a high pressure oil system, so again less parts to buy there.

Quick Reply: why don't I see more fords at truck pulls