Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed new EBC rotors and pads... AWESOME!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:34 PM
ChazWiz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just installed new EBC rotors and pads... AWESOME!

I just completed my weekend project, installing new EBC rotors and pads and wow what a difference. I took the necessary time to "bed" the brakes and rotors as per the instructions and now my EX stops on a dime. The previous owner I bought my EX from installed ceramic pads, seems he was more interested in keeping his wheels clean than stopping. With the ceramic pads it felt like I had to about push the brake pedal through the floor to stop. Now with the EBC setup just some light pressure brings the beast to a stop with no problem. In case anyone is looking to get new brakes and rotors I strongly recommend the EBC. See below for the part numbers.

I bought the following parts from www.buybrakes.com
EBC-GD7083 EBC Sport Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotor Kit - Front
EBC-GD7189 EBC Sport Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotor Kit - Rear
EBC-DP61308 EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads - Front 1
EBC-DP61603 EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads - Rear

Old 03-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
For those of us who don't to click in the link right now, how much was the total?

Old 03-03-2008, 09:36 AM
skibum12
New User
I also just installed new brake pads and rotors last weekend WOW! What a differance before the X was becoming such a hand full to stop I would not let the wife drive it. I went with EBC pads and power slot Cryo rotors. Here are the part #'s I used

Front Pad E35DP71308
Rear Pad E35DP61603
Left Rear PS8571CSL
Left Front PS8586CSL
Right Rear PS8571CSR
Right Front PS8586CSP
Total Cost $749.04

Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
ChazWiz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Monsta
For those of us who don't to click in the link right now, how much was the total?
Total was 581.00, I compared that to the OEM replacement parts from ford and it was only about 150.00 more. Since I did the labor myself I am still way ahead of the game as far as price is concerned.

Chad

Old 03-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may go ahead and swith to the EBC pads, I have the Hawk LTS and it seems that they just arent grabbing anymore after only a few thousand miles on them. Needs noticably increased brake pedal pressure to stop, and when I let go of the brakes ato creep forward a little it feels like the pads are very "grabby" and feels liek the wheel is locking and unlocking multiple tiems in a second. Had some very werid experiences when the brakes got wet in sub freezing conditions. Whole frontend would shake liek crazy as the wheels locked and unlocked violently till the brakes got a bit of heat in em.

I'm honestly hating these pads more everyday.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:30 PM
ChazWiz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 1
I may go ahead and swith to the EBC pads, I have the Hawk LTS and it seems that they just arent grabbing anymore after only a few thousand miles on them. Needs noticably increased brake pedal pressure to stop, and when I let go of the brakes ato creep forward a little it feels like the pads are very "grabby" and feels liek the wheel is locking and unlocking multiple tiems in a second. Had some very werid experiences when the brakes got wet in sub freezing conditions. Whole frontend would shake liek crazy as the wheels locked and unlocked violently till the brakes got a bit of heat in em.

I'm honestly hating these pads more everyday.
Im surprise your not happy with the hawk pads they seem to be very sought after and have a good reputation on this site. When you changed the pads did you have the break system flushed?

Sounds like you are describing the anti-lock braking system being activated. When you slam on the brakes the anti-lock breaking system engages and disengages the brakes at a very rapid rate this may be the front end shake you are describing.

Chad

Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not the ABS I've felt it engage on some slippery spots while stopping in the winter weather here in chicago.

The pads just seem to be extremely grabby when coming off a dead stop. Like if you want to slowly creep forward a few inches, they seem to chatter and wont allow a slow controlled forward movement. That doesnt bug me as much as the VIOLENT shaking when they get wet and sit in freezing weather. I have never experienced anything like this in any of my other cars and I've run all types of vehicles and pad/rotor combinations. Also they need more effort to stop and feel like they are just slipping while stopping from speed lately.

I may take the whels off and hit everything with some brake clean in case they somehow got contaminated with something, but I doubt itll solve my problem. I really should call hawk and see what they say.